Why Belichick is so brilliant...

Big Turk

10 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I agree our ST coach should take considerable blame as well. Maybe Dimarco is so poorly coached he doesn't have the freedom to adjust the line. Every team in the league should just overload one side from now on because we obviously have no answer for it.  

Again, a good snap and it is no problem. Bojo is not a great punter. One of his limitations is he is very slow getting the punt off. Most punters catch the ball and get it off much quicker. The combination of bad snap, Bojo slow, and Bellichick knowing that he is slow and left footed and trying to take advantage is what caused it. A good snap which Ferguson does 90% of the time and it is not blocked. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Have fun cherry picking the things that make you miserable. That must be a great life! Is it hard to ignore all the positive signs, or does that skill just come naturally to you? 

Look, there was some fugly stuff today. Yet we showed signs of progress, both year to year and half to half.  If you want to jump ship now, enjoy. See ya! I like our progress and trajectory. I think a lot of people need a cooling down period. Mostly because I’m a bit too tired to argue with the woe is me crowd!   ?

I’d be FAR more upset over a loss next week, yet it could certainly happen. And I’d STILL be on board. 

Waving the white flag with the "miserable" claims?  That's weak.  

I'm really happy right now.  Yet, far too many fans accept mediocrity and hope to beat up on bad teams and excuse losing to the front runners.  

Until I see something out of McD against good teams then it's all platitudes and people trying to be a super-fan a la SNL in the early 90s.  

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I'm really happy right now.  Yet, far too many fans accept mediocrity and hope to beat up on bad teams and excuse losing to the front runners.  

Until I see something out of McD against good teams then it's all platitudes and people trying to be a super-fan a la SNL in the early 90s.  

You don't think the defense out of McD against a good team was substantial?

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

You don't think the defense out of McD against a good team was substantial?

I thought the defense was outstanding and there aren't enough superlatives to describe it really.   

It's extremely hard to play outstanding defense though from game 1 to 16 with the rules in place.  Today, the defense was ready to play, but the offense continues to lag far behind for McD coached teams.  

More concerning is that offense seems to have taken a back seat resource wise and there is a cost for that strategic team-building decision.   

Yes, holding NE to 16 points was great, but remember it's taken a lot of high draft picks and UFA dollars to build that unit.  

And we know sustaining great defenses has been impossible over the past 10 years or so when elite players want to get paid.  Seattle comes to mind on that topic as they bear little resemblance to what they were just 5 years ago.    

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Here’s where we are different........ I was actually aware of the positives today.

Our defense allowed only 9 points to the defending SB champs, and made Brady look like a middling at best QB. 

Josh was 6-6 on the first drive the Pats gave up for a TD this year.  We had a chance, even after he was knocked out with a cheap shot that in college (and probably soon in the pros) would result in expulsion. That hit may change NFL rules regarding offsetting penalties. 

I’m not happy with mediocrity, but I love consistent progress. We are showing that. 

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I thought the defense was outstanding and there aren't enough superlatives to describe it really.   

It's extremely hard to play outstanding defense though from game 1 to 16 with the rules in place.  Today, the defense was ready to play, but the offense continues to lag far behind for McD coached teams.  

More concerning is that offense seems to have taken a back seat resource wise and there is a cost for that strategic team-building decision.   

Yes, holding NE to 16 points was great, but remember it's taken a lot of high draft picks and UFA dollars to build that unit.  

And we know sustaining great defenses has been impossible over the past 10 years or so when elite players want to get paid.  Seattle comes to mind on that topic as they bear little resemblance to what they were just 5 years ago.    

But McD and Frazier's game plan and play calls from start to finish were spectacular. It's hard to stop the Dolphins for an entire game, especially when your offense is turning the ball over. I'm not even a huge McDermott fan, I think he is excellent in some ways and lacking in others. But we also have all new WRs, all new TE, all new OL, all new RB, and a raw QB who has less than 16 starts. I'm not completely sold on McDermott, and think he is pretty bad in in game decisions. But he did just play even up against the Patriots, even with Josh not having a good game. We had more yards. This was an even game. I would have liked to see Josh have four minutes left. 

8 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Geez, do you think any of that might have been what is essentially a rookie QB plus 9 other brand new starters on offense? Playing against a guy who’s defensive game plan against the Bills in a SB is in the HOF? Might that matter? 

1 hour ago, Azucho98 said:

ST was the difference in this game.  Blame Josh all you want but it all came down to ST.

I have to throw ALOT of shade at Daboll too. As JA demonstrated in the 2nd half when he went 6/6 and scored the TD. On that drive it was with short passing concepts in no huddle mode. Why not employ that part of their offense earlier in the game. Like at the beginning? Also Gore was running through their d-line all game. If we are successful at rushing, why not keep it going until the patriots stop it, especially after the first INT and multiple sacks. It was evident Josh was holding onto the ball too long and the o-line couldn't contain NE's pass rush.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was just responding to the fact you seemed to be blaming DiMarco. What is he supposed to do? He has to take the inside guy who is closer. It was a bad snap and Bojo is slow. That's the reason it was blocked. 

Not Demarcos fault, Bojangles needs to read the coverage too and quick kick instead of taking steps. That guy is a terrible kicker.

I blame McD

2 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Bellichek had nothing to do with that play. That was a combination of a bad snap and a really bad punter who should have quick kicked, instead of what he did. That guy doesn’t belong in the NFL.

I  don't think that is true. Bojo was his punter. He watched him a lot. He released him just before the season last year which is why we signed him.  He surely knew he does not get the ball off quick. And it seems so obvious but he is left footed so that is the side to double up.  If he didn't know Bojo was slow I doubt he puts the press that he did. But the bad snap is what caused the block. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Moral victories? 

Come on. 0-5 is 0-5. BB ***** on McDermott again today.

Oh please, give it up and stick it in the whiners thread. Tell me, EXACTLY how many games did we play today. Don’t join the 17 year whiners crowd, which they still cite even though it’s ancient history. 

Things change in life, things evolve. This is a new team, new players, new times. Make fun of the process if you will, but it’s not easy to overtake the most dominant team in recent pro sports history. Put us in almost any other division, and we are looking fine. Hell! We are 3-1, going to Nashville, then a bye and hopefully have our QB back to face the Dolphins. 

I’d hate to go through life only seeing the downside. That must suck. I feel sorry for you. 

2 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Not Demarcos fault, Bojangles needs to read the coverage too and quick kick instead of taking steps. That guy is a terrible kicker.

I blame McD

I think he is a terrible kicker. I blame McD as well as Beane because I think there are a bunch of other punters better than him. He is a guy who either kills it or blows it.  That is never a good idea for a punter. You want a consistent guy who can sometimes excel and does not get flustered. He is the opposite of that guy. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think he is a terrible kicker. I blame McD as well as Beane because I think there are a bunch of other punters better than him. He is a guy who either kills it or blows it.  That is never a good idea for a punter. You want a consistent guy who can sometimes excel and does not get flustered. He is the opposite of that guy. 

I agree there has to be a better option for punter, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see one on the roster before too long. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

Here’s where we are different........ I was actually aware of the positives today.

Our defense allowed only 9 points to the defending SB champs, and made Brady look like a middling at best QB. 

Josh was 6-6 on the first drive the Pats gave up for a TD this year.  We had a chance, even after he was knocked out with a cheap shot that in college (and probably soon in the pros) would result in expulsion. That hit may change NFL rules regarding offsetting penalties. 

I’m not happy with mediocrity, but I love consistent progress. We are showing that. 

That's where I'm at , well said !!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I  don't think that is true. Bojo was his punter. He watched him a lot. He released him just before the season last year which is why we signed him.  He surely knew he does not get the ball off quick. And it seems so obvious but he is left footed so that is the side to double up.  If he didn't know Bojo was slow I doubt he puts the press that he did. But the bad snap is what caused the block. 

The

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Blocking a punt isn’t easy. Bad snap with a guy that takes full step with follow through is an opposing coaches dream.

Bellicheck was close to keeping Bojangles. They were very lucky and ST coach had much more to do with that than BB. You guys give Bill way too much credit. Bill should have lost this game. We totally outplayed the Pats today.

That team gets a lot of breaks.

6 minutes ago, dlonce said:

The

Blocking a punt isn’t easy. Bad snap with a guy that takes full step with follow through is an opposing coaches dream.

Bellicheck was close to keeping Bojangles. They were very lucky and ST coach had much more to do with that than BB. You guys give Bill way too much credit. Bill should have lost this game. We totally outplayed the Pats today.

That team gets a lot of breaks.

Nonsense. Ferguson is a good snapper. A good snap it is not blocked. Why should we have lost? We played them straight up. We outgained them. It was an even game.