Oliver currently is #4 in DT Pass Rush Win Rate

syhuang

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

How many QBs have actually been able to step up into a pocket against us this year?

This is the point. Part of the reason we kept Dalton from doing anything in the first half on Sunday was that he was totally unable to step into his throws because the interior push was there. 

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Still do.

Could have dynamically changed our WR room. But oh well. We needed a DT I suppose.

I was one who wanted DK Metcalf (not in the 1st) and was hoping he would slide to us in the 3rd. However, I have been completely surprised at how well John Brown is playing. He can run any route, has sure hands, and speed. He is actually playing far better than Metcalf:

Player Team DYAR Rk DVOA Rk ▾ Passes Yards EYds TD Catch Rate
Brown BUF 81 13 33.30% 12 23 246 263 1 78%
Metcalf SEA 29 36 5.70% 34 19 217 173 1

47%

I'm not saying I wouldn't want Metcalf on my team, because I still would. I just wouldn't have taken him before the 3rd or 4th. The two primary issues with him are very apparent so far: limited route tree and questionable hands. However, he is still producing some nice plays for Seattle.

The WR crop in next years draft may be the best in a long time. I think that is where we continue to add to our offense at that position

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

The WR crop in next years draft may be the best in a long time. I think that is where we continue to add to our offense at that position

So i've heard.

If what you say is true and the Bills take another DE, DT, or OL in the first round, I'd have serious questions.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

DK Metcalf in the top 10 would not have been smart. And him making a couple of nice plays in Seattle does not change that

31 other GMs would have laughed at us for burning a top 10 pick on the guy who ended up going with the last pick of the second round.  Oliver was the consensus BPA by a wide margin and 31 other GMs would have made the same pick especially with the retiring Kyle Williams.  I guess Joe is just smarter than all of them.

DK's catching 47% of the balls thrown at him, and his inflated yards per catch average came against three of the worst pass Ds in the league including a meaningless 54 yard desperation bomb at the end of a half against New Orleans' swiss cheese defense.  He's a walking ligament tear waiting to happen and already had a knee operation in the preseason to nobody's surprise.  Competent defenses will catch on to him being "the big fast guy" who could only catch less than half his targets against weak coverage.

I'll take the BPA DT already playing at a Pro Bowl level (despite "BUT TEH STATS") all day long when we're desperate to get pressure on Brady.  Adding another speed receiver (one with glaring weaknesses to boot) to a team that already had Brown and Foster wouldn't have the same impact.

*edit*

I can't stand when guys have ridiculous biases without trying to look at the whole picture especially if it's based on cherry picked stats.  Dude didn't even know that Hockenson was already off the board as well.  Took him longer to ask about it than it would have to Google it and not look silly.  

It's the morning and I'm cranky with a headache.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Stats of this type are filled with subjective nuance, but are presented as hard data.

By people. The stat itself is good information. People parade advanced stats as the end-all-be-all. It's part of the bigger picture. Don't blame the stat.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Still do.

Could have dynamically changed our WR room. But oh well. We needed a DT I suppose.

It's weird you hold it against Oliver because Bills didn't draft Metcalf with the #9 pick, especially you now have the hindsight on how the draft actually went that Metcalk dropped all the way to end of round 2.

If you wanted to hold any of our picks for not drafting Metcalf, shouldn't it be Ford instead? Do you really prefer to still use #9 pick to draft Metcalf instead of arguing maybe using our 2nd round pick on him? Why do you still blame Oliver for not drafting Metcalf even with hindsight now ?

Just now, syhuang said:

It's weird you hold it against Oliver because Bills didn't draft Metcalf with the #9 pick, especially you now have the hindsight on how the draft actually went that Metcalk dropped all the way to end of round 2.

If you wanted to hold any of our picks for not drafting Metcalf, shouldn't it be Ford instead? Do you really prefer to still use #9 pick to draft Metcalf instead of arguing maybe using our 2nd round pick on him? Why do you still blame Oliver for not drafting Metcalf even with hindsight now ?

Trust me, I'm not giving Ford a pass, either.

And I'm not blaming OLIVER for being taken where he was.

Metcalf's gonna prove a lot of people wrong, I get the feeling. Will Oliver? Time will tell.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

You would still, in hindsight, have taken Metcalf at #9?

Considering the state of our WR corps, yes. We could use a big, fast WR on the roster. Ed Oliver MAY turn out to be great, or he MAY underwhelm as a pass rusher. That remains to be seen.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Trust me, I'm not giving Ford a pass, either.

And I'm not blaming OLIVER for being taken where he was.

Metcalf's gonna prove a lot of people wrong, I get the feeling. Will Oliver? Time will tell.

But you're blaming Oliver for Bills not taking Metcalf, which looks really weird to me especially with the hindsight. The following is what you said in this thread regarding Oliver's pick at #9 and Metcalf was then brought up.

My deal with this dude is that I don't think we should have drafted him with a need for offensive weapons.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Considering the state of our WR corps, yes. We could use a big, fast WR on the roster. Ed Oliver MAY turn out to be great, or he MAY underwhelm as a pass rusher. That remains to be seen.

So even with the hindsight, you still want to pick Metcalf at #9 even though you now know Bills could have picked Metcalf in 2nd round?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, syhuang said:

But you're blaming Oliver for Bills not taking Metcalf, which looks really weird to me especially with the hindsight. The following is what you said in this thread regarding Oliver's pick at #9 and Metcalf was then brought up.

Once again I'm not Blaming oliver. I'm blaming the FO.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Once again I'm not Blaming oliver. I'm blaming the FO.

You didn't answer my question, my question was " So even with the hindsight, you still want to pick Metcalf at #9 even though you now know Bills could have picked Metcalf in 2nd round? "