Did ST improve enough to turn the corner?

GG

I'm looking at any signs to be optimistic heading into the season and ST remains a huge question mark.   

I think at the base level, the 2018 Bills team was better than a 6-10 record would suggest, especially when you look at the 2-7 start and 3-3 finish.  The positive feeling doesn't stop when I consider that most of the actors responsible for the 2-7 start are nowhere near Orchard Park - I'm looking at you Peterman, Benjamin, Pryor, Clay, etc.   Even after dissecting the blowout losses, I can't put the full brunt on the defense (except maybe the Indy game).   Stands to reason why most of the offseason action was geared towards the offense.

Looking further into the last 6 games of the season shows the special teams directly causing 2 of the 3 losses - missed FGs, fumbles and massive returns against.

Unfortunately, I didn't see much in preseason to make me feel much better about the unit (other than adding Roberts).

Let's hope that the offensive improvement overshadows the worries about the ST

1 minute ago, GG said:

I'm looking at any signs to be optimistic heading into the season and ST remains a huge question mark.   

I think at the base level, the 2018 Bills team was better than a 6-10 record would suggest, especially when you look at the 2-7 start and 3-3 finish.  The positive feeling doesn't stop when I consider that most of the actors responsible for the 2-7 start are nowhere near Orchard Park - I'm looking at you Peterman, Benjamin, Pryor, Clay, etc.   Even after dissecting the blowout losses, I can't put the full brunt on the defense (except maybe the Indy game).   Stands to reason why most of the offseason action was geared towards the offense.

Looking further into the last 6 games of the season shows the special teams directly causing 2 of the 3 losses - missed FGs, fumbles and massive returns against.

Unfortunately, I didn't see much in preseason to make me feel much better about the unit (other than adding Roberts).

Let's hope that the offensive improvement overshadows the worries about the ST

The addition of Roberts, to me, was huge.  Way too many muffs last year.

I am concerned that we're still rolling with Bojo.

I am happy that we retained Haushka.  I think he over-performed a little in 2017 and underperformed a little in 2018.  My hope/realistic expectation is that he finds the happy medium and has a solid season (i.e. - reliable between 40-50 yards).

While the punter issue remains a big one, I'm optimistic.   

We saw some very good depth in the 2s and 3s during preseason.    Those are core special teams players, so that's encouraging.   Andre Roberts should be a big addition to the return game.   And now that Hauschka's is in good health, that should be plus as well (I hope I didn't just jinx them for Sunday)...

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The addition of Roberts, to me, was huge.  Way too many muffs last year.

I am concerned that we're still rolling with Bojo.

I am happy that we retained Haushka.  I think he over-performed a little in 2017 and underperformed a little in 2018.  My hope/realistic expectation is that he finds the happy medium and has a solid season (i.e. - reliable between 40-50 yards).

Agreed.  That said I am thinking his injury made it tough for him (Haushka) along with the changing punters last year. As far as the punter goes,  let's hope there are many kickoffs rather than punts.