NFL Live on ESPN disses Bills D

Tatonka68

16 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

NFL live on ESPN just said that the New England Patriots are the best and most complete defense in the AFC East. What a joke. They even said they have the best line-backing core. Did you here that Edmunds,  Lo  and Milano ?  I am so tired of this, the Bills need to shut up these jerks up and SHUT OUT the Patriots in week 4. I am calling it. 31-0 whoop-ass on the CHEATS.

They do have good LBs.  Hightower, Collins, Van Noy, Roberts.  They're not all-pro but that's a pretty good LB unit.  

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

The bills defense doesn’t deserve the credit. 

They played well last year but they were not a top defense. Teams ran all over us. They ranked well against the pass because in the blowouts and some other games the other teams didn’t need to throw, just run the ball and kill clock for multiple quarters. 

Week one Flacco just abused poor edmunds over and over hitting his tight ends non stop in the middle of the field. 

We watched the games guys, that was not a top 5 or dominant defense. 

I expect better this year although I don’t expect the national media to pay any attention to buffalo unless they start like 6-2 or something great

I think they're better than you are giving them credit for.  They forced a lot of turnovers, and considering buffalo gave the ball away a ton weren't exactly set up for success.  

2nd fewest yards in the NFL

2nd fewest yards per drive

3rd fewest yards per play

4th in first downs allowed

Top 10 in takeaways

Top 10 in 3rd down%

Where they sucked as red zone percentage on both sides of the ball.  That is the greatest area of weakness on the defense though.  Our offenses terrible amount of giveaways, terrible punting and kick coverage,  also gave Buffalo the worst starting field position on defense in the NFL.  

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t dislike Lorax but let’s be real here. That’s a BillsWire piece that’s basically Bills propaganda. It’s basically saying he was on the field doing everything last year. Which is exactly what I said, if he wasn’t on the field in obvious passing situations he was rushing the passer as a blitzer. Which is everything I need to know about him

“Just grazing Alexander’s statistics, it’s easy to see he’s still got it, too. In total, Alexander had 74 tackles and 6.5 sacks in 2018, up from only three in 2017”

a few things about those stats. That’s crap for total tackles. It’s barely anything decent in sacks. I give him a little credit but it leads to the fact that he was rushing the passer more on passing downs because he couldn't cover a fullback anymore. 

If those stats are what everyone hear is really clinging onto, then I feel sorry for them. He was solid. But I’m any other team he’s just a ham and egg Lb. 

Just now, mrags said:

I don’t dislike Lorax but let’s be real here. That’s a BillsWire piece that’s basically Bills propaganda. It’s basically saying he was on the field doing everything last year. Which is exactly what I said, if he wasn’t on the field in obvious passing situations he was rushing the passer as a blitzer. Which is everything I need to know about him

“Just grazing Alexander’s statistics, it’s easy to see he’s still got it, too. In total, Alexander had 74 tackles and 6.5 sacks in 2018, up from only three in 2017”

a few things about those stats. That’s crap for total tackles. It’s barely anything decent in sacks. I give him a little credit but it leads to the fact that he was rushing the passer more on passing downs because he couldn't cover a fullback anymore. 

If those stats are what everyone hear is really clinging onto, then I feel sorry for them. He was solid. But I’m any other team he’s just a ham and egg Lb. 

Actually, it's a BillsWire piece that's reporting numbers from PFF, who--while I don't flat-out endorse their methodology or grading system--has no obvious bias in their evaluation.

As for the numbers, well, he did rank 4th among OLBs that play in a 4-3 in sacks 

Anyway, the point I was making is that he's clearly not terrible in coverage or losing the step that you seemed to imply.

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Alexander is good.  He was legit playing SAM, DE, and even some DT.  DE's don't get nearly the same number of tackles as LBs, considering they rush the passer on pass plays while LBs are traditionally in coverage.

4th on the team in tackles, 2nd in sacks, chipped in 2 picks, 3rd on the team in TFL.  I don't recall ever seeing him like completely burned, or completely missing tackles in games last year.  

Here's what PFF said about him - no bias.

Alexander, an NFL journeyman with positional versatility, earned a career-high 85.7 overall grade playing a mix of edge defender and off-ball linebacker with the Bills a year ago. He’s now recorded 30 or more pressures in three consecutive seasons, and his grades against the run and in coverage in 2018 were both above 79.0. The soon-to-be 36-year-old is a bit of a Swiss army knife now more than 12 years removed from going undrafted in 2005.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Actually, it's a BillsWire piece that's reporting numbers from PFF, who--while I don't flat-out endorse their methodology or grading system--has no obvious bias in their evaluation.

As for the numbers, well, he did rank 4th among OLBs that play in a 4-3 in sacks 

Anyway, the point I was making is that he's clearly not terrible in coverage or losing the step that you seemed to imply.

He ranked 4th in LBs that play in a 4-3? Because 4-3 LBs usually cover someone in obvious passing situations when he is asked to rush the passer more than most. Probably because he is pretty terrible in coverage????

listen, I love Lorax but let’s not all get goo-goo, gaa-gaa over him. He’s a solid player but he’s nothing special. Let’s hope he plays just as good as he did last year when he had his best statistical year out of his long career. 

26 minutes ago, mrags said:

He ranked 4th in LBs that play in a 4-3? Because 4-3 LBs usually cover someone in obvious passing situations when he is asked to rush the passer more than most. Probably because he is pretty terrible in coverage????

listen, I love Lorax but let’s not all get goo-goo, gaa-gaa over him. He’s a solid player but he’s nothing special. Let’s hope he plays just as good as he did last year when he had his best statistical year out of his long career. 

I don't think anyone's particularly gaga over him (or at least if they are I haven't noticed).  I think he's clearly their #3 LB, but he has a lot of value to them as a guy that can rush the passer, defend the run, acquit himself in coverage, and play special teams.

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/06/lorenzo-alexander-did-it-all-pro-football-focus-buffalo-bills/

"Just grazing Alexander’s statistics, it’s easy to see he’s still got it, too. In total, Alexander had 74 tackles and 6.5 sacks in 2018, up from only three in 2017. His career-bests come in were in passes defended (9) and interceptions (2)."

Youre probably wasting your time on him.