Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins?

Less thrilled with Gabriel G and his solo work as I age. 

best G song ever is Dance on a Volcano, good fun figuring it out on my own for many years as a crummy drummer.

Phil’s later G and solo gains in enjoyment as time passes.

my Lord of the Rings, punk rock days are over...

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Peter Gabriel was far better as the lead singer of Genesis.

The band went downhill with captain commercial as the lead.

I think I can agree with this.

Some of the Genesis songs with Phil Collins are just cheesy and terrible songs.  The "I Can't Dance" song I think is just terrible.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, frostbitmic said:

Peter Gabriel was far better as the lead singer of Genesis.

The band went downhill with captain commercial as the lead.

Wasn’t thrilled with most of Lamb at the time, first 3 “Phil” albums were mainly written by Banks and Rutherford finally allowed to get flowing. They are excellent.

phil couldn’t drum and sing these songs so they hired Bill Bruford for first year tours.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm in the Collins boat, but my favorite song of theirs may be a Gabriel one.  Really dig The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. 

I'm just not into the progressive rock that much and Collins had a more mainstream sound when he took over.

33 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Two eras of Genesis, both unique, the latter being commercially successful beyond belief.

I'll take Gabriel's Genesis everyday of the week. 

No no no. :D

between Gabriel and Phil’s pop dreams was a third era of Rutherford/Banks writing with Phil singing.

it deserves its own recognition and is a bit below the best of Gabriel’s work

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Who was the better lead for Genesis?

Genesis IS 5 members led by Gabriel. The Collins trio is decent pop but not real Genesis.

Journey is another group, started as a progressive jazz rock offshoot of Santana, then wimped out to the Steve Perry led "Open Arms" mom band.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Genesis IS 5 members led by Gabriel. The Collins trio is decent pop but not real Genesis.

Journey is another group, started as a progressive jazz rock offshoot of Santana, then wimped out to the Steve Perry led "Open Arms" mom band.

Gabriel was the man. Yes he had a much more darker and introspective sound, but that was his trademark...progressive rock wasnt intended to be a cheery top 40 sound.

So, this was my prized possession in high school, a singed copy of this..to bad i cant find it Amazon has them selling for $100!!! Who do ya think i liked better. Alas, too young to ever see them play together, but Gabriel at Kleinhans at least 2 times...awesome shows!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Know-What-Armando-Gallo/dp/0960403604

image.jpeg.ba58bb56f5d55996558b4a0bb09d6e79.jpeg

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Some of the Genesis songs with Phil Collins are just cheesy and terrible songs.  The "I Can't Dance" song I think is just terrible.  

Collins went too far at times. He ran with an original progressive idea and commercialized the heck out of it. A sound that once fostered imagination and transcendence, could now be found reworked at local clubs!

Edited by Rocket94

I can’t complain about a run from Trespass to And Then There Were Three

And Duke and Abacab were good albums

and Peter and Phil solo work was separate genres but enjoyable as well

guess the only complaint is  just that sellout Phil was everywhere at the time and very very annoying?

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Some of Phil Collins songs were used effectively to evoke a mood on shows like Miami Vice. In the Air tonight, I don't care anymore to name a few.

31 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Honestly, I can't tell the difference between Phil Collins songs with Genesis, or solo work.

It’s amazing how he gained confidence in so quick a time on the spot and it kept growing.

Two completely different bands.

Just like DLR-era VH and Sammy-era VH.  Both awesome, but two completely different bands.

With regard to Journey, the Gregg Rollie departure was more impactful than the Steve Perry addition.

When Jonathon Cain replaced Rollie, that's when Journey turned to pure cheese. 

The post-Gabriel Genesis had a decision to make ... keep making traditional Genesis music, or may a shitload of money.  They chose the money, as many/most bands end up doing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Just like DLR-era VH and Sammy-era VH.  Both awesome, but two completely different bands.

With regard to Journey, the Gregg Rollie departure was more impactful than the Steve Perry addition.

The post-Gabriel Genesis had a decision to make ... keep making traditional Genesis music, or may a shitload of money.  They chose the money, as many/most bands end up doing.

Again ignoring the first 5 albums without Peter and pretending the whole Phil G thing started with Mama and Land of Confusion...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

Again ignoring the first 5 albums without Peter and pretending the whole Phil G thing started with Mama and Land of Confusion...

My post was unclear.  I know they made "Genesis," music after Gabriel left and before they sold out.  I failed to acknowledge that.  But "Invisible Touch," was 100% a pop, cheesy ballad, album.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My post was unclear.  I know they made "Genesis," music after Gabriel left and before they sold out.  I failed to acknowledge that.  But "Invisible Touch," was 100% a pop, cheesy ballad, album.

I’ll raise you and call the prior Genesis eponymous album with Mama the tipping point, still a decent album.

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

I’ll raise you and call the prior Genesis with Mama the tipping point, still a decent album.

I think "Genesis," to Genesis is what "Escape," was to Journey and what "Joshua Tree" was to U2.

Their last good album; but not their last great album.  Definitely more sell-out than not; but still a good album.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think "Genesis," to Genesis is what "Escape," was to Journey and what "Joshua Tree" was to U2.

Their last good album; but not their last great album.  Definitely more sell-out than not; but still a good album.

If only Phil has turned it down 10 percent on his obnoxious public act.....

bingo on Joshua Tree, didn’t help the Bee Gees released an album at that time with almost the same cover.

It was like my stock as a fan of U2 went from $25,000 a share to $5 after it

Edited by row_33

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They had no business being "Genesis" anymore!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Journey sold out for corny pop after "Wheel in the sky" and "Genesis" did as well.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

bingo on Joshua Tree, didn’t help the Bee Gees released an album at that time with almost the same cover.

Yeah, I was a huge U2 fan and absolutely LOVED Unforgettable Fire.  "With or Without You," was the "Every Breath You Take," of that year.  Blech.

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

Journey sold out for corny pop after "Wheel in the sky" and "Genesis" did as well.

I have zero problem with bands selling out.  Gotta pay the beels.

Even Zep sold out with "In Through the Out Door."  Bonham's death was tragic and it's a crappy way to end a run.  But I shiver when I think of what may have been next from them.

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

Under the guise of a nameless band, U2 make an excellent album entitled "Passengers" in 1995. It was an imaginary soundtrack with an ambient/progressive sound. 

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, I was a huge U2 fan and absolutely LOVED Unforgettable Fire.  "With or Without You," was the "Every Breath You Take," of that year.  Blech.

Even Zep sold out with "In Through the Out Door."  Bonham's death was tragic and it's a crappy way to end a run.  But I shiver when I think of what may have been next from them.

I loved Led Zeppelin when I was young...Albums 1-4 and then Kashmir! That song helped elicit a few kicks and long week ends!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Like me I pray you’ve been spared everything U2 has done since Joshua Tree....

Had a copy of Boy the week it was released and all the EPs imported and then JT and I metaphysically vomited for some reason

(Pretending mighty hard I haven’t seen Journey mentioned on this thread)