What would you rather do if forced?

Beast

I’ve made a career out of arresting drunks. I’ve seen first hand the carnage it causes. Texting and driving is unsafe as well, but I have a difference of opinion as to which risks my life more. To those that say that .13 isn’t that drunk, and it doesn’t take much alcohol to get to that point....I invite you to use this link and see how much alcohol it would take you to get there. The answer is quite a bit (unless you are a small female). I’m absolutely sloshed at a .13, and it takes a ton of alcohol to get a 6’2 245 lb corn fed American male there. Functioning alcoholics wake up at a .13 everyday.

https://www.intox.com/drink-wheel/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Sig1Hunter said:

I’ve made a career out of arresting drunks. I’ve seen first hand the carnage it causes. Texting and driving is unsafe as well, but I have a difference of opinion as to which risks my life more. To those that say that .13 isn’t that drunk, and it doesn’t take much alcohol to get to that point....I invite you to use this link and see how much alcohol it would take you to get there. The answer is quite a bit (unless you are a small female). I’m absolutely sloshed at a .13, and it takes a ton of alcohol to get a 6’2 245 lb corn fed American male there. Functioning alcoholics wake up at a .13 everyday.

A few years back we had an on-duty State Trooper get mangled. Why? She was texting on her phone, crossed the center line and ran head on with a tractor trailer.

Again, nobody is disputing drinking and driving is not dangerous. It is which is worse. 

I believe it is definitely debatable. 

1 minute ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Thanx!  Key words to take away from your post.

16 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

.13 is not ready to fall asleep. LOL

And we aren’t praising .13

just answering what we’d do under a two option silly hypothetical 

nothing for people to have a hairy spazzzzz over

36 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am delayed due to rear-end accidents at least 5 times/week.  It's a straight ***** line.  Only taking one's eyes off the road will result in an accident of that kind.

I'm getting this from driving 120 miles round trip every day I go to work (PTO and holidays give me ~35 days off).

i know a guy that has a rather large collision shop in our area.  he is so swamped with work he doesn't know what to do.  he'd love to do the more serious work on expensive cars, but he can't.  he has too many fender benders.  texting has kept that guy busier than he needs to be.

7 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

A few years back we had an on-duty State Trooper get mangled. Why? She was texting on her phone, crossed the center line and ran head on with a tractor trailer.

Again, nobody is disputing drinking and driving is not dangerous. It is which is worse. 

I believe it is definitely debatable. 

Happens. Either choice is a poor one. Drunks kill people every night. I don’t believe the fatal crash statistics support that texters do the same. 

Bottom line- don’t drink and drive, and don’t text and drive. Pay attention to the damn road!

Edited by Sig1Hunter
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

And we aren’t praising .13

just answering what we’d do under a two option silly hypothetical 

nothing for people to have a hairy spazzzzz over

It is if you know someone killed by a drunk... Which is more than a texter.

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

After reading this thread I'd rather be a passenger with someone who is texting while having a BAC of .13 than take a roadtrip with @ExiledInIllinois

It takes my 210 pound frame 8.5 US beers to get to 0.13.

A 6 pack +2.5 in one hour?  Do I even have a funnel?  But, that's not evenly.

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Two fathers of high school friends served 8 and 10 for killing people while drunk driving.

• Like (+1) 1

Lost in this great debate is when someone is texting while driving you can smack em upside the head and tell them to stop. You can’t smack the drunk out of someone. They are drunk until their liver does it’s work over a period of several hours. 

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It takes my 210 pound frame 8.5 US beers to get to 0.13.

A 6 pack +2.5 in one hour?  Do I even have a funnel?  But, that's not evenly.

Those aren’t bologna numbers either. I’ve participated in many controlled drinking exercises both as a student and instructor that confirms those numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

How much water do the pumps move?

Don't really know.  You sound like an idiot.  It's gravity controlled you moron. No pumps are needed.

And here you have it folks... The smartest man in the world is a total idiot. 

27 minutes ago, teef said:

i know a guy that has a rather large collision shop in our area.  he is so swamped with work he doesn't know what to do.  he'd love to do the more serious work on expensive cars, but he can't.  he has too many fender benders.  texting has kept that guy busier than he needs to be.

Time to go back to when bumpers were on the outside of the car, not under plastic.  Remember when you could actually touch another vehicle and push them without a scratch?

30 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

@Sig1Hunter

with link: 

@ 9 US beers evenly over 1 hour takes me (210 male) to: 0.145!!!

9 beers!!!

I would be asleep!

Average US male is 197, would take about 8 beers in one hour to hit .13

8 beers in 60 mins is falling down drunk for a majority of the population. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Average US male is 197, would take about 8 beers in one hour to hit .13

8 beers in 60 mins is falling down drunk for a majority of the population. 

I dont even know how someone can drink 8 beers in an hour unless they are funneling them. 

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

I dont even know how someone can drink 8 beers in an hour unless they are funneling them. 

We used to drink one shot-glass full of beer every minute for 60 mins in college, called it 'power hour'. These were in my heavy drinking days so my tolerance was much higher than it is now. 60 one-oz. shots of beer in 60 mins is only FIVE BEERS/HOUR and still gets you ***** up. 8 beers in one hour...I wouldn't let that person operate a scissors, much less a vehicle.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We used to drink one shot-glass full of beer every minute for 60 mins in college, called it 'power hour'. These were in my heavy drinking days so my tolerance was much higher than it is now. 60 one-oz. shots of beer in 60 mins is only FIVE BEERS/HOUR and still gets you ***** up. 8 beers in one hour...I wouldn't let that person operate a scissors, much less a vehicle.

I first read this as one shot every 60 minutes, and thought "That's the most lightweight thing I've ever heard."

• Haha (+1) 1