Free Bird still bangs

Teddy KGB

19 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Agreed. I feel the same way about Sweet Home Alabama. It's always celebrated as this redneck anthem that people waive their confederate flags to. But the lyrics are actually the oppoiste. Basically saying, "Yeah, there's some racist a-holes here, but we're so much more than that. And there are plenty of us trying to fight that here." Really some of the best lyrics ever written, just happened to have a catchy riff and tune too. 

Yea... If you listen closely the lyrics are pretty anti redneck 

"In Birmingham they love the governor.. boo boo boo "

Saturday night special is pretty much an anti gun song

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Poojer said:

so cool to see someone discover and enjoy music.  This is a fun video to watch!

I have watched a lot of these "Reaction" videos. Check out Lost in Vegas reaction to Megadeth and Metallica. I agree, I like to see Black folks realizing what they've been missing musically. Brothers invented this *****!!!!! Pink Metal Head is another fun watch... millenial black female is hooked on rock and roll!!!!!!. Love it!

I am hopeful that a new era of rock and roll is coming soon.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

27 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Freebird sucks.  Every time I hear it, I can't believe Skynyrd performed it.  It sounds so much more like extended Tom Petty suckage.

Well Tom, I used to think you had ***** taste in rock music, now I know you have ***** taste in rock music. Go replay your Enya and forever refrain from our Rock threads forever more...

Let the Good Times Roll... 

I bet you hate The Cars too.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea... If you listen closely the lyrics are pretty anti redneck 

"In Birmingham they love the governor.. boo boo boo "

Saturday night special is pretty much an anti gun song

Yeah. If you listen really closely at the end, you'll hear him say "Montgomery's got the answer" talking about the bus boycott. Although some claim that was just Ronnie seeing someone eat a donut he was saving and said "My donut, *****" and it got left in. 

45 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Agreed. I feel the same way about Sweet Home Alabama. It's always celebrated as this redneck anthem that people waive their confederate flags to. But the lyrics are actually the oppoiste. Basically saying, "Yeah, there's some racist a-holes here, but we're so much more than that. And there are plenty of us trying to fight that here." Really some of the best lyrics ever written, just happened to have a catchy riff and tune too. 

I've got two good travel stories about Sweet Home Alabama.  I was in a huge bar day drinking in Nice France.  Most every song was French.  And no one I spoke with knew any English.  And then randomly in the mix, Sweet Home Alabama comes on, and the place goes crazy, with the packed bar screaming every line. 

Another time I was in Madrid with a beautiful Spanish girl named Rose.  She was showing me around, and two of her friends joined us bar hopping.  One of the dudes was a Netherlands pilot who loved the USA.   He wouldn't stop talking about what a great country the USA is, he wants his pickup and a dog, and to move out west, yada yada.  Rose takes us to a very spanish bar 4:00 am.  It is so overcrowded, rowdy, smokey, joints are being passed, as is a guitar.  They keep playing spanish songs, everyone singing loudly with spanish pride.  Well after a bit, the Netherlands dude call for the guitar....(I'm thinking uh oh, how is this going to go down)......well he starts playing Sweet Home Alabama and everyone is screaming every line again, absolutely loving it.

Both those scenes are etched into my memory.  And I realized the power of music, and Sweet Home Alabama. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Well Tom, I used to think you had ***** taste in rock music, now I know you have ***** taste in rock music. Go replay your Enya and forever refrain from our Rock threads forever more...

Let the Good Times Roll... 

I bet you hate The Cars too.

The Cars aren't bad.  But they're no Night Ranger.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Imo, this is a definitive version w the original band performing FB in 75 on UK show Old Grey Whistle Test. Btw, OGWT has a bunch of good performances by great artists just starting out.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Plastic Cup said:

Ugh....most overplayed and overrated song ever.

Stairway to Heaven most overrated and Don't Stop Believin' most overplayed.  Although, Bohemian Rhapsody is starting to annoy me.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Stairway to Heaven most overrated and Don't Stop Believin' most overplayed.  Although, Bohemian Rhapsody is starting to annoy me.

I hate to have a hipster "I liked them before they were cool" moment. But ever since the movie came out, everybody and their mother is a Queen fan. I love Queen, and honestly, the movie was pretty mediocre. The Live Aid scene was fantastic. Malic did a great job. But there was no music original to the movie, and it was full of historical inaccuracies. I get that biopics play with the timeline for dramatic effect. But some were just weirdly unnececary. Like they had a subtitle that read 1981 when they were recording We Will Rock You, when it actually came out like four years earlier. Rocketman, which was by the same director, was much better. 

Sorry, I know this thread is about Skynyrd, but I had to get that off my chest.

18 hours ago, Pete said:

Overplayed sure, overrated no way imo.

its like stairway to heaven.  It’s an awesome song that’s been played to death.  But if you haven’t heard it in a long time, it still rocks

I think this is perfectly stated and 100% accurate.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I hate to have a hipster "I liked them before they were cool" moment. But ever since the movie came out, everybody and their mother is a Queen fan. I love Queen, and honestly, the movie was pretty mediocre. The Live Aid scene was fantastic. Malic did a great job. But there was no music original to the movie, and it was full of historical inaccuracies. I get that biopics play with the timeline for dramatic effect. But some were just weirdly unnececary. Like they had a subtitle that read 1981 when they were recording We Will Rock You, when it actually came out like four years earlier. Rocketman, which was by the same director, was much better. 

I agree.  It was a conventional rock band movie that didn't really take any chances.  Malic's performance is the only reason to watch it.  I wish they would've gone a little deeper into the creative process behind some of their greatest hits.  Haven't seen Rocketman yet but I'm sure it's a better movie.

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree.  It was a conventional rock band movie that didn't really take any chances.  Malic's performance is the only reason to watch it.  I wish they would've gone a little deeper into the creative process behind some of their greatest hits.  Haven't seen Rocketman yet but I'm sure it's a better movie.

It's completely different. It's a musical, as in, people randomly break into song. Except for when he's specifically writing/recording a song, they're out of order, but they're not trying to tell you that it was exactly like that. They took some minor liberties to tell a better story, but for the most part, it gives you an idea of Elton's life. Other than the ending credits though, Elton's actual voice isn't in the movie at all. It's all done by Taron. Some songs are exact recreations of the studio verson, others are completely different, but I loved it all honestly. 

6 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'll just come right out and say that Bohemian Rhapsody just wasn't very good.  It was fictional.

After watching it, here is where I stand with regard to biopics:  Instead of trying to cram in 20+ years of stuff into a 2 hour movie, make a limited series on Netflix so nothing has to be left out, or even worse, made up.

Take all the actors (who were great) in Bohemian Rhapsody and there's your core for a series that could last months with 90 minute episodes.  I'd be all over that like Freddie Mercury on a truck driver.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll just come right out and say that Bohemian Rhapsody just wasn't very good.  It was fictional.

After watching it, here is where I stand with regard to biopics:  Instead of trying to cram in 20+ years of stuff into a 2 hour movie, make a limited series on Netflix so nothing has to be left out, or even worse, made up.

Take all the actors (who were great) in Bohemian Rhapsody and there's your core for a series that could last months with 90 minute episodes.  I'd be all over that like Freddie Mercury on a truck driver.

The original plan was that Freddie died half way through the movie, and it focused on Brian and Roger post Freddie. AKA reforming with Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert. With all of the director and acting changes (it was supposed to be Sacha Baron Cohen AKA Borat), there was no way it wasn't a trainwreck. 

Netflix is doing this with Selena. Talented woman with a tragic ending to her life. But not my cup of tea. Hopefully it starts a trend.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The original plan was that Freddie died half way through the movie, and it focused on Brian and Roger post Freddie. AKA reforming with Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert. With all of the director and acting changes (it was supposed to be Sacha Baron Cohen AKA Borat), there was no way it wasn't a trainwreck. 

Netflix is doing this with Selena. Talented woman with a tragic ending to her life. But not my cup of tea. Hopefully it starts a trend.

Coincidentally, the Selena movie was actually done quite well.  Her career was only a few years long, so they could capture most of it in a movie.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

Coincidentally, the Selena movie was actually done quite well.  Her career was only a few years long, so they could capture most of it in a movie.

Our honeymoon was in San Antonio. We took a guided tour of the Riverwalk. There's a scene where Jenifer Lopez is sitting on a bridge with a tour boat going under her. The guy driving our particular boat that day happened to be the same guy in the movie.