Mandatory retesting for driver's license

Wait till illegals get their expedited licences in N.Y. No one is gonna be failed on their road test

Ticketed illegals will be given amnesty by State traffic courts and likely the local ones too. 

No need for them to follow the law driving a car anymore. That'll liven up driving in the upstate cities.

• Like (+1) 2

The biggest problem with regard to driving is distracted driving.

I commute about 55 miles one way, primarily highway, five days/week.  I've never gone a full week without being delayed due to an accident.  It's a highway ... a straight ***** line .... how can someone get into an accident?

Texting.  That's how.  Every accident is a rear-end job.

Not to mention, every new car now has a ***** laptop in the middle of the dashboard.  How is that smart?  No one is looking at the ***** road.  They're either looking at their phones or at the gigantic monitor in the middle of the dash.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I commute about 55 miles one way, primarily highway, five days/week.  I've never gone a full week without being delayed due to an accident.  It's a highway ... a straight ***** line .... how can someone get into an accident?

Not to mention, every new car now has a ***** laptop in the middle of the dashboard.  How is that smart?  No one is looking at the ***** road.  They're either looking at their phones or at the gigantic monitor in the middle of the dash.

That's what makes the Schuylkill so crazy. Texters at 50 +MPH bumper to bumper

17 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I do that too. I'll sit there and wait, while they'll sit there and wave at me to go. Uh, no idiot, you have the right of way, you go. My wife will tell me they're just being nice. There's no being nice when you're on the road. 

People here are notorious for that...they think they’re being helpful waving you into a merge lane while they’re blocking the view of oncoming because they’re making a left turn off the highway. 

I just sit tight and don’t move until they figure it out. Drives me crazy when people think they’re being helpful by ignoring rules of the road that specifically exist to ensure you’re less likely to die or kill someone with your vehicle.

i gave up driving 95% of the time a year ago, it's getting to be too much in Toronto, the subway takes care of almost all my needs

people started laying on the horn behind at 8-lane intersections because the coast was clear for me to go through the red light...

but when i get into the drivers seat i immediately put on a stress-suit and yelling at everyone

i consider the lack of stress from getting rid of almost all driving to be as beneficial as a a new diet where i didn't eat 900 pounds of sugar in a year...

16 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You should see the insanity on the 401 in the GTA. it puts just about anything in the US to shame.

The Weather Channel has a show about tow trucks on the 401.  It looks nasty, and not just in the winter.  

16 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You should see the insanity on the 401 in the GTA. it puts just about anything in the US to shame.

good to hear Toronto is up there for insanity

again, I was warned about DC a few years ago but at the worst it was like a decently congested Toronto commute drive for my week there

21 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Ignoring the rules just about got me T-boned today and as fast as the guy was coming an impact would have meant a ride to the ER unconscious versus beefing about it here.  Good thing defensive driving is my game.  

When I was teaching my oldest to drive, one of the first times on the road, I was giving him the defensive driving lecture, watching out for other drivers doing stupid things. Sure enough, a guy coming the other way took a left hand turn in front of him...about 3-5 seconds after the turn arrow turned red. My son had to hit his brakes pretty good to avoid a crash.

Afterward, he said, "OK, I get it." I could only say, "so endeth the lesson."

Everyone defensive drives

Was in the passenger seat the other day with a senior talking about his cautious driving as he jumped the lane three times and cut people off four times in needless lane changes in downtown Toronto

Things said in this thread is why I am selling my motorcycle. I am tired of watching people pull up beside me and text or getting cut off going down the road. There too many people out there that do not watch what they are going and only think about them self. Add to that the fact that when you are on 2 wheels you have less protection. I am done with Motorcycles and i was at time the biggest component of riding motorcycles around. Just give me 4 wheels now.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NWPABillsfan said:

Things said in this thread is why I am selling my motorcycle. I am tired of watching people pull up beside me and text or getting cut off going down the road. There too many people out there that do not watch what they are going and only think about them self. Add to that the fact that when you are on 2 wheels you have less protection. I am done with Motorcycles and i was at time the biggest component of riding motorcycles around. Just give me 4 wheels now.

don't forget crazies who hate bikes and go out of their way to obstruct or hit them

23 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm a little peeved after the 4th encounter this week with people who can't remember the rules concerning right of way at an intersection.  Also, some guy following me in the village limits where it is 30MPH and I can't see him from either door mirror.  County road posted at 55 MPH and I make turn while visibly clear from left and 100 feet after my turn some guy is just about up my tail pipe.  He had to be going 80 plus MPH.  I will give out a kudos to the guy who used hand signals to indicate a turn while towing a junk vehicle as well as using the magnetic temp mount signal lights.  

Bro. There's stupid, bad drivers everywhere.  But come drive the 5 boroughs to see stupid, bad drivers in concentrated numbers. I love driving from NYC to Buffalo and hitting Binghamton at 5:15 and there's about a mile of back up -- and the drivers look like they're about to blow their tops!

Here is something that must be on every written and road test:  if you're in a fender-bender and nobody is hurt, move your ***** vehicle to the shoulder.  The law should be that if you DON'T get your ***** out of the way, then your ***** will be towed and impounded,  and your license suspended for 90 days.

Edited by snafu
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

They really ought to install cell signal jammers in cars that are activated when in gear.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Bro. There's stupid, bad drivers everywhere.  But come drive the 5 boroughs to see stupid, bad drivers in concentrated numbers. I love driving from NYC to Buffalo and hitting Binghamton at 5:15 and there's about a mile of back up -- and the drivers look like they're about to blow their tops!

Here is something that must be on every written and road test:  if you're in a fender-bender and nobody is hurt, move your ***** vehicle to the shoulder.  The law should be that if you DON'T get your ***** out of the way, then your ***** will be towed and impounded,  and your license suspended for 90 days.

i would gladly aware the 5 boroughs as worse for driving than the Greater Toronto Area

Yes. Retesting should be required...with every traffic citation you receive, or something to that effect. Idjut drivers everywhere!!!! 

My passengers laugh at me for driving the limit in the right lane.  

I hate driving. The vast majority of people driving on the roads today have no business possessing a drivers license. Retesting could help (make a license good for 5 years, retest every 10 years under 55, and over 55 retesting with every renewal). 

Newer technology may help. My vehicle has adaptive cruise control and that does help on the thruway when I set it. It doesn't do anything for the goof behind me not slowing down when the ACC breaks, but it does help prevent my vehicle from rear-ending someone else. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I hate driving. The vast majority of people driving on the roads today have no business possessing a drivers license. Retesting could help (make a license good for 5 years, retest every 10 years under 55, and over 55 retesting with every renewal). 

Newer technology may help. My vehicle has adaptive cruise control and that does help on the thruway when I set it. It doesn't do anything for the goof behind me not slowing down when the ACC breaks, but it does help prevent my vehicle from rear-ending someone else. 

I got rear-ended on the highway a couple years ago.  It has made me almost overly-aware of people driving behind me.  Especially in stop and go traffic.  Just yesterday, there was a young woman driving behind me.  Traffic would move about 10-20 feet at a time.  She was on her phone the entire time, texting.  She came within inches of me a few times.  She had her window down (smoking with a child in the back seat, but that's another topic, altogether).  I rolled my window down and yelled, "put your ***** phone down!!!!!!!!!!!!"  She never got within three feet of me from then until traffic cleared.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I enjoy driving sans the poor fellow motorists.  I'm kind of a throwback in that I like to drive around and look at things.  I want to do a day trip to Ithaca this summer including the Cornell campus since I am an alumni.  The campus is far more restricted for vehicle use when a semester is going versus the summertime.  I also would not mind looking up some college acquaintances between WNY and the Southern Tier.  One guy I knew well freshman year has no trail whatsoever on the internet.  I know where the uncle lives so I might stop there to just know if this guy is still around.  If this guy wants no contact I will respect that as well.  This probably should go into another thread.