Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rocket94

Roland Hooks and Super Joe!

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I love those old NFL Films videos.  Plus hearing Ed Sabol narrate it takes one back in time.  Pretty cool.

Those were the best. "The frozen tundra"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

After discussing Jerry Butler, I suppose it triggered another "moment" from the Bills past. The 1981 game against New England where Joe Ferguson and Roland Hooks  "Hooked" up and beat the Pats. I remember that the Bills were down...I remember turning off the TV thinking the Bills would come back If I did. Sure enoigh they did! Does anyone have the video? Please post it!

 

Roland Hooks?  Who?  Never heard of him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

 

Roland Hooks?  Who?  Never heard of him

Yeah...he was just some guy. Played for the Bills long ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

That was when it was first used but..as mentioned in 79 Bills still called it the Big Ben..thinkin maybe in the 80's did it offcially become "a hail Mary" pass

 

It was called Big Ben because that's what it was called the first time it was successfully used - by the Atlanta Falcons.

 

Staubach's pass was a true Hail Mary, as it was just a pass launched in hopes his receiver would catch it. But in 1978 the rules were changed so that an offensive player could tip a pass to another offensive player. Before then it was illegal. The Falcons practiced doing this and called the play Big Ben for whatever reason. And the first time they used it it worked - twice actually, except they didn't have replay reviews and the refs blew the second one. The NFL being a copy cat league, naturally everybody started practicing and using the play, and most of them, as well as the announcers, called it Big Ben just because that's what it was originally called. It had nothing to do with Ben Williams. Then over the years it just became fashionable to call it Hail Mary - again.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

I was at the game as well and we left because it started snowing and game seemed out of reach.  We heard the crowd roar and tried to turn around as we were walking to our car outside Rich, but too late.  It would have been my first live look at a "Hail Mary"  Fergy rightfully deserves praise for his abilities and that was a great demonstration of what he could do.  I think some of his heroics are overshadowed by blunders at critical times.  Not sure how I would rank him as Bills QB but probably 3rd after Kelly and Lamonica.

I was there too ... in the parking lot because Dad wanted to leave ... only hear the cheers and “Here's the replay on the scoreboard” and we watched it from the north lot on that amber lit beauty!

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

I was there too ... in the parking lot because Dad wanted to leave ... only hear the cheers and “Here's the replay on the scoreboard” and we watched it from the north lot on that amber lit beauty!

Those were good times. I missed that game. A local bar used to have bus excursions to the games. Some of the fans on the bus were so drunk...they slept through the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, a great moment in the Bills history.  It made me think the Bills can almost always come back, despite obstacles.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the game tix, who else has it

4FD1ADE1-B515-4052-81ED-9E0C422A5C76.jpeg

Never left a game early. There was nobody there. We had a great view of the catch

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Got the game tix, who else has it

4FD1ADE1-B515-4052-81ED-9E0C422A5C76.jpeg

Never left a game early. There was nobody there. We had a great view of the catch

Wow! Good stuff...memories like that are rare!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have all the bills home playoff games tickets as well.  Kept them all those years. Moved all over the country with em.

Edited by Helpmenow
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

I have all the bills home playoff games tickets as well.  Kept them all those years. Moved all over the country with em.

Those were fun years. I expected us to win every week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

After discussing Jerry Butler, I suppose it triggered another "moment" from the Bills past. The 1981 game against New England where Joe Ferguson and Roland Hooks  "Hooked" up and beat the Pats. I remember that the Bills were down...I remember turning off the TV thinking the Bills would come back If I did. Sure enoigh they did! Does anyone have the video? Please post it!

 

8 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

It was an incredible catch! I saw the highlights after turning off the tv. Technology of the 70's

 

 I remember seeing the highlights on an 'Alcoa Fantastic Finishes' clip. They used to show them during Sunday games at the two minute warning before halftime. It was awesome.

 

 

1 hour ago, Helpmenow said:

Got the game tix, who else has it

4FD1ADE1-B515-4052-81ED-9E0C422A5C76.jpeg

Never left a game early. There was nobody there. We had a great view of the catch

 

Nice  keepsake but it's not for the Roland Hooks game winner in '81. You're 6 years too late.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stevewin said:

I was also at that game - I remember the fans streaming out of the stadium and I told my brother "We aren't leaving - this will be an Alcoa Fantastic Finish!"  (old timers will get the reference).

 

The catch by Hooks may be the most remarkable sports play I've ever seen live.  We were in the end zone and I can still picture plain as day the ball leaving Fergy's hand and sailing down the middle and then the catch.  OMG.  What an unbelievable catch - and to see it live in the moment it was even better - I'll never forget it.

Yes...The Alcoa highlight flashes with the deep voiced narrator!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was my Dad’s birthday and we left.

We just got out of the stadium when we heard the roar of the remaining crowd. 

By the time we got to the car the game was over and we won.

My Dad said it was his birthday present.

 

EJ did the same for me at the Panthers game on my 🎂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

 

 

 I remember seeing the highlights on an 'Alcoa Fantastic Finishes' clip. They used to show them during Sunday games at the two minute warning before halftime. It was awesome.

 

 

 

Nice  keepsake but it's not for the Roland Hooks game winner in '81. You're 6 years too late.

Damn, I thought it was that one, your right.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's been so many years, I don't remember much of that game - except for those last two remarkable plays.  Those were unforgettable.  Hooks, already one of my favorite Bills, was a hero that day.  

Roland Hooks and Curtis Brown were awesome; both played for many years in the unsung hero role; both class and character acts - team players!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Got the game tix, who else has it

4FD1ADE1-B515-4052-81ED-9E0C422A5C76.jpeg

Never left a game early. There was nobody there. We had a great view of the catch

always hated the way the sections were labeled back then. In the 70's and 80's, i almost always scalped..now how in the world was i supposed to know where Section I was? Seasons beginning in 86, upper deck, prolly section 335 now..have no clue what they were labeled back then.

 

Thank goodness they have made it easier..wonder when they changed over to numbers..i completely forget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vorpma said:

Roland Hooks and Curtis Brown were awesome; both played for many years in the unsung hero role; both class and character acts - team players!

Thats right...Curtis Brown!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Thats right...Curtis Brown!

They played key roles and I met Roland Hooks back in the 1970's - a class act! 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, vorpma said:

They played key roles and I met Roland Hooks back in the 1970's - a class act! 

I remember Hooks and of course Brown well. Brown was like(now that you reminded me) Roger Craig in an unassuming way. Hooks was good every time he touched the ball. Both excellent and unsung players.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I remember Hooks and of course Brown well. Brown was like(now that you reminded me) Roger Craig in an unassuming way. Hooks was good every time he touched the ball. Both excellent and unsung players.

I really miss those kind of players and of course, the Chuck Knox era. Thank you Rocket94 for remembering!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, vorpma said:

I really miss those kind of players and of course, the Chuck Knox era. Thank you Rocket94 for remembering!

Thats right. It was old school like...I couldn't wait until 1:00 PM on Sunday. I remember Chuck Knox always saying: "Lets play Buffalo Bills football!" ha! I got it...his own brand!

 

Edited by Rocket94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 8:39 AM, Dave in Bluffton said:

I was at the game as well and we left because it started snowing and game seemed out of reach.  We heard the crowd roar and tried to turn around as we were walking to our car outside Rich, but too late.  It would have been my first live look at a "Hail Mary"  Fergy rightfully deserves praise for his abilities and that was a great demonstration of what he could do.  I think some of his heroics are overshadowed by blunders at critical times.  Not sure how I would rank him as Bills QB but probably 3rd after Kelly and Lamonica.

I liked Fergie alot. However, I remember his meltdown vs Dallas on MNF in 1981. He just seemed to mentally come unglued. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Thats right. It was old school like...I couldn't wait until 1:00 PM on Sunday. I remember Chuck Knox always saying: "Lets play Buffalo Bills football!" ha! I got it...his own brand!

 

Ground Chuck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...