I'm bigger, get out of my way.

Just Jack

The ship it hit was a Uniworld River Cruise ship.  It runs (ran) between Venice and Milan.  I would never want to be in Venice when one of those big ships docks.  The volume of people would overwhelm the place.

Venice is trying to relocate the large ships, away from the city.  They're concerned that the wakes and waves from them are eroding the wood pilings that the whole place is built on. 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

It happens more frequently than most realize.  Most times the damage is fairly minor and the same with any injuries so it does not make the news.

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Wasn't the captain that sunk the ship because he was waving to people from Italy? That guy was a real pisser. From what I recall he was also one of the first people into the life boats.

IIRC he sunk the ship trying to show off for his girlfriend who was illegally on the bridge.  I think he ended up in jail.

25 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Haha....hopefully she was impressed. 

Hey baby, bet you never saw anyone run a ship this big onto the rocks before!

I wonder if he bothered to bring her in his lifeboat!

59 minutes ago, Gugny said:

@ExiledInIllinois would NEVER let this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn right!  I am the LockNazi®.  Run a tight, orderly shift!

In all seriousness... No harbor tugs guiding that ***** -er.  Italians are cheap and probably don't want to pay for safety.

Oh... Wait... That was a harbor tug pulling the bow.... See all that black diesel soot coming from it's stack... Probably should had two tugs doing the job?

No bow thrusters on the ship???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

It happens more frequently than most realize.  Most times the damage is fairly minor and the same with any injuries so it does not make the news.

Yep!

We have high water again.  Empty barges only draft 2 feet.  That mean the other 7-15 feet ride above the water.  Only 3 feet to top of our lock wall now.  Years ago the rake (bow [or stern] the slants down) skipped over wall, tore railing and took out control house window ledge.

This is a rake on an empty barge... This is only drafting 2 feet deep into the water.  Easy to skip over a wall, dock, etc...

waterfront-services-2.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

18 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Wasn't the captain that sunk the ship because he was waving to people from Italy? That guy was a real pisser. From what I recall he was also one of the first people into the life boats.

no... he slipped on the deck and managed to luckily fall into a lifeboat

22 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

You should watch the documentary on how they managed to raise that boat......it took almost 2 years to figure it out. Fascinating. Lives lost, however. 

And you are correct on the a-hole captain's actions, 100%.