Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

They are fighting for a playoff spot so far this season. Its an improvement over last season. There isn't much available trade wise to help this team. It would have been nice to have Hall but not for the price Arizona paid to get him. 

No doubt there has been an improvement, both on a team level and and individual level, like Risto for instance. And that’s a positive. 

But again, it’s a hard sell to tell us loyal fans that after 8 years of utter futility, including a designed tanking, that we are finally at a point where we just have to be patient. That’s what’s most frustrating. For me at least.

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No doubt there has been an improvement, both on a team level and and individual level, like Risto for instance. And that’s a positive. 

But again, it’s a hard sell to tell us loyal fans that after 8 years of utter futility, including a designed tanking, that we are finally at a point where we just have to be patient. That’s what’s most frustrating. For me at least.

I agree but it's one thing if they were at the bottom of the standings this season again. Right now they are fighting for a playoff spot. That's more then fans can hope for considering where they finished last season. 

51 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I agree but it's one thing if they were at the bottom of the standings this season again. Right now they are fighting for a playoff spot. That's more then fans can hope for considering where they finished last season. 

quite the season, a week with 3 in a row Ws and 2nd place, 3 in a row Ls and 6th place...

Just now, row_33 said:

quite the season, a week with 3 in a row Ws and 2nd place, 3 in a row Ls and 6th place...

I think that's the way the Atlantic Division is going to go all season. Tampa doesn't look like they are turning it around any time soon and the Leafs are still bad defensively with no backup goalie. I don't either team going on a run. 

4 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I think that's the way the Atlantic Division is going to go all season. Tampa doesn't look like they are turning it around any time soon and the Leafs are still bad defensively with no backup goalie. I don't either team going on a run. 

The entire Eastern Conference for that matter. If the season ended today, both wildcards would be from the Metro division. 

Nice article on Risto’s improved play this season. 

Glad he seems happy here. You can definitely tell he’s matured this season, and he’s bought in to what Krueger is preaching. That was reportedly an issue with past coaches. As was his engagement with teammates, which also doesn’t appear to be an issue anymore (at least from what I’ve read). 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

When you drive do you look at your rear mirror instead of looking through your front windshield? If so, I'm sure your insurance rates are sky high! 

Organizations make mistakes. That's the nature of the business. Not all decisions are going to work even in the best run organizations. Overall, I think our GM has done a good job. He's not into the quick fix mode of acting that you seem to favor. That's fool's gold. I really believe that the GM has put us in a good position for next year because of the smart way he has managed contracts. You sneer when I say that the Sabres are in an upward trajectory. It may not be quick enough for you but I believe it is the right course to take. 

What on earth would lead you to believe this is a organization on the upswing? This thing is no closer than it was 4-5 years ago. 

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

When you drive do you look at your rear mirror instead of looking through your front windshield? If so, I'm sure your insurance rates are sky high! 

Organizations make mistakes. That's the nature of the business. Not all decisions are going to work even in the best run organizations. Overall, I think our GM has done a good job. He's not into the quick fix mode of acting that you seem to favor. That's fool's gold. I really believe that the GM has put us in a good position for next year because of the smart way he has managed contracts. You sneer when I say that the Sabres are in an upward trajectory. It may not be quick enough for you but I believe it is the right course to take. 

Which decisions have worked for Botts?

Tage? Hutton? Mittlestadt? Vesey? Sheary?  Good Lord.  Calder Cup destiny.

Is there one player he has brought in, other than no-brainer Dahlin, that has truly shown he can help a championship team get there?  How about someone who can help a team get to the playoffs?  Maybe Montour?  Giving Skinner all that money and watching year one of the new contract evaporate into nothingness must be part of the plan right?

I don't know how you can say this GM has done a good job.  Because we'll have some cap money?  How quick is a quick fix?  Under 8 years?  Trying to win sooner than that is fool's gold?  That's the windshield?  Spoiler alert:. If  that is the windshield it has an identical view to the rear view mirror.

I think he hired a good coach this time.  I'll give him that.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

Nobody expects every deal to work. What you expect is a plan and execution of that plan.

How did the Sabres plan result in Mitts rushing to the NHL ice?

This upward trajectory you perceive, does it have a come to fruition date? Do you care to share?

18 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

That's more then fans can hope for considering where they finished last season. 

For reals? More than fans can hope for? We are not to yearn for a return to playoff hockey? What are our realistic hopes?

What’s the plan?

• Like (+1) 1