Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

47 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am anxious to see how Buffalo stacks up against Florida tonight. If they want any shot at the playoffs, these are the teams (Montreal, Florida) that they’re likely to be competing with. 

Personally, I think the playoffs are probably a long shot this year (though I have some hope). I think the season will be more about fixing what’s broken. But it’s still a good measuring stick. 

Entering the season with our additions I felt that this was a fringe contending playoff team. I wouldn't bet heavy money on it but I believed that this bolstered roster with its new coaching staff would be in the playoff hunt for most of the season. And I still hold to that assessment with a tinge more optimism. The reason for the increased optimism is that I didn't realize how good Johansson and Miller were. If you include Olofsson we added legitimate players on the first and second lines and a legitimate defenseman on the first pairing who works well with Dahlin. And the player who has surprised me as much as anyone is Jokiharju. For a youngster he is poised, skates well and is an exceptional passer. The GM not only brought in more talent but brought in players who fit in well and enhance the talents of the player they are playing with. To the snickering crowd I will again say: The trajectory is up!

• Like (+1) 2

On the Instigator Show it was stated that Montour would be out for another three weeks. So far the Miller/Dahlin pairing has gone very well. If RK doesn't want to alter the first pairing it will be interesting to see who Montour gets paired with. The Risto/McCabe tandem is our rugged pairing. As I have previously stated I am impressed with Jokiharju. I would hate to see his playing time limited. Maybe Scandella, who has been playing well, will be odd man out?  

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

On the Instigator Show it was stated that Montour would be out for another three weeks. So far the Miller/Dahlin pairing has gone very well. If RK doesn't want to alter the first pairing it will be interesting to see who Montour gets paired with. The Risto/McCabe tandem is our rugged pairing. As I have previously stated I am impressed with Jokiharju. I would hate to see his playing time limited. Maybe Scandella, who has been playing well, will be odd man out?  

Since Montour is a RHD, my guess is that Joki would be the odd man out assuming Risto is still here. 

Nice to know that on a night when our scorers don’t show up and playing against a good team that has owned you for a while, that our lunch pail muckers can help get this team a win. 

Other than the shootout, Eichel played like ass. Barkov has pretty much owned him since he came into the league. 

That said, it was a good hockey game, hard fought on both ends by both teams. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Since Montour is a RHD, my guess is that Joki would be the odd man out assuming Risto is still here. 

You are probably right. Scandella is playing well and he will more than likely get the nod. From what I have seen from the former Blackhawk I am immensely impressed with him. I still believe that sometime this year Risto will be dealt. But right now the coach is utilizing him to the max. It wasn't too long ago that our defensive unit was very thin and less than mediocre. Now it seems like there is an abundance of riches. In one year the GM added Montour, Miller and Joki to the roster and paid a pittance for them. This GM knows what he is doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

In this game Ullmark was the first star for us. 

Okposa and his line mates would earn the second star.

On balance I thought Florida outplayed us. Although I thought the opposition had the edge in play the Sabres showed a resilience to continue to compete hard and stick with it. 

As was noted on the broadcast Sobotka contributed by playing a tough and gritty game. He's certainly not a stat player but he is contributing. 

As K-9 stated this was a hard fought game by both teams. Florida is a talented team and will be one of the teams we will be competing with for a playoff spot. 

The Sabres have earned 9 out of 10 points. It's still early in the season but the fans deserve to see some success. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Nice to know that on a night when our scorers don’t show up and playing against a good team that has owned you for a while, that our lunch pail muckers can help get this team a win. 

Other than the shootout, Eichel played like ass. Barkov has pretty much owned him since he came into the league. 

That said, it was a good hockey game, hard fought on both ends by both teams. 

Barkov is a big, strong, skilled SOB. But yeah, that was a decent game to watch.

In Canada I watched on the MSG network feed. Man, seemed like I was watching our local OHL  hockey team feed, where everyone is a volunteer! I love RJ, but he sounded a lot like I was listening to commandant Lassard at the podium! 

Edited by thebug

I convinced myself I won’t get excited about the team this year, despite hiring Krueger & staff and adding much needed D. Last season was an epic disappointment, I figured it would STILL be years before they could compete. 

Now, I need help maintaining my disgust. Somebody PLEASE tell me this is just another aberration! They’re NOT Good!

PLEASE?!

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

will never understand why players just dont get another stick when they lose theirs, especially when they have the short change and the bench is right there.

Next, Dahlin benched eh?hmm, thoughts?

When the other team is on the power play and you are already a man down I would rather have an outside perimeter player without a stick than the player risk going to the bench, even for a quick retrieval, and be two men down. I believe most, if not all, teams follow this strategy. 

The coach addressed the situational sitting of Dahlin at the end of the game. He stated that it was a defensive measure dictated by the situation. Dahlin is a sterling offensive defenseman. In a defensive posture he is not the strongest option we have securing his own end. The coaching was maximizing and utililzing the particular talents of each player to suit the situation. It was a smart and detailed move by a smart and detailed man. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When the other team is on the power play and you are already a man down I would rather have an outside perimeter player without a stick than the player risk going to the bench, even for a quick retrieval, and be two men down. I believe most, if not all, teams follow this strategy. 

The coach addressed the situational sitting of Dahlin at the end of the game. He stated that it was a defensive measure dictated by the situation. Dahlin is a sterling offensive defenseman. In a defensive posture he is not the strongest option we have securing his own end. The coaching was maximizing and utililzing the particular talents of each player to suit the situation. It was a smart and detailed move by a smart and detailed man. 

i disagreee on both points.

1) The second goal is scored because a man without a stick is essentially useless, therefore being two men down in that situation last night anyway. They would have been down 2 for 6 seconds as opposed to 40, especially on the short change.

2) You know me, i was adamant anybody was going to an upgrade over Housley, but that is two  2 goal third period leads and two points given away to rivals we may be fighting later for a playoff berth. They have let the foot off the gas a bit in terms of trying to score goals with those leads, and 26 helps you score goals. Housley finally set me over the edge last year when he sat Pilut cause of a defensive mistake, and Pilut was shot the rest of the year. 26 only gunna learn by playing in crunch times, not watching

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Agree entirely. I’m interested in seeing how Dahlin responds. As is Krueger, I imagine. 

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

2) You know me, i was adamant anybody was going to an upgrade over Housley, but that is two  2 goal third period leads and two points given away to rivals we may be fighting later for a playoff berth. They have let the foot off the gas a bit in terms of trying to score goals with those leads, and 26 helps you score goals. Housley finally set me over the edge last year when he sat Pilut cause of a defensive mistake, and Pilut was shot the rest of the year. 26 only gunna learn by playing in crunch times, not watching

This is a fair point as well, though.

• Like (+1) 1