Any bowling fans ?

mead107

5 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I had a great time working there. I started working the arcade when I was 15 and eventually worked my way up to the snack bar without getting a raise. $5.00 an hour was my pay for 3 years. It had perks though. I was 16 and got to work the snack bar for rock n bowl from 11 -1 on Fridays. The regulars brought beer in and I stuck it in the I chest. I was permitted to  drink behind the counter and listen to rock and roll and eat free food when I was barely old enough to drive. Cant ask for a much better gig at 16.

That sounds like a fun job at that age. I worked after school starting at 15 thru high school, at the Broadway Market and then at Mercy Hospital. Seems like I had fun wherever I was back then and I'm sure I would've loved working in a bowling alley.

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

They did have live versions of songs in Jukeboxes you know.  

I didn't know that!

Just slightly before my time of remembering the jukebox thing

I did see the first run @ the theatre of Tommy.  Who the hell drags a drags a 7 year old to that?  My older siblings and cousin, that's who (no pun intended).  Where all my troubles began. It was PG. LoL... THAT I remember...

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I didn't know that!

Just slightly before my time of remembering the jukebox thing

I did see the first run @ the theatre of Tommy.  Who the hell drags a drags a 7 year old to that?  My older siblings and cousin, that's who (no pun intended).  Where all my troubles began. It was PG. LoL... THAT I remember...

in Quintaphonic sound with Eric Clapton, Tina Turner and Ann Margaret ? I saw that movie at the theater when it came out, I was 13.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:43 AM, CowgirlsFan said:

I grew up near a bowling alley.

I took bowling in college.

About 4 years ago was the first in a long time. 

There were never any rails.

I took bowling in college also as one of the 4 semesters of phys ed that was required.

8:00 AM on Fridays followed by Organic chem. at 9:00

The instructor saw that I knew what the heck I was doing and I

became a unpaid assistant instructor.  Of course I got an A.

i bowled a little seriously but every time i took a friend they bowled a perfect game the first time they tried it out

like Barney Rubble or Peg Bundy or Ed Norton or Kramer

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, LewPort71 said:

To answer Meads question.  Yes, bowling fan here.  Spent many hours at Frontier Lanes in Lewiston.

Also enjoyed watching Strikes, Spares and Misses  ,and Beat the Champ on Channel 4  WBEN.

Saturday afternoon meant ABC's telecast of PBA bowling with Nelson Burton Jr and Chris Schenkel.

The definition of smooth was watching Earl Anthony on the lanes.

...good stuff...Dick Weber...Carmen Salvino...Don Carter...Ray Bluth.....the old gang......BTW, here's a link to the latest style bowling center that opened in Rochester.....hardly anything like the old days.....and it is going like gangbusters.............

https://radio-social.com/

My previous comment regarding the number of lanes available has now got me rehashing just how many commercial and private lanes there were.  Roc-Mar, Allied, Bailey Bowling Academy, there was even some lanes on the second floor of a building at Bailey and Midway.  Lancaster Moose Hall has/had at least 4 lanes up on the second or third floor.  As mentioned earlier, at least a few parish halls had alleys.  Sheridan Lanes actually had some synthetic floored alleys, as opposed to wood. One of the Northtown dealerships is there now.  Didn’t a Basil dealership eventually displace Thruway Lanes (home of ‘Beat the Champ’, or ‘Beat the Chump’ as we said)?  What lanes do you remember?  This sounds like a topic for Steve Cichon, if he hasn’t already researched it.