When, If Ever, Does it Stop?

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm not the person who cares enough to point it out and broadcast it. I'm open minded. Those were different times. My grandma was racist, too. It's all she ever knew. I still loved her.

But if it's out there now, then yeah, ***** that B word. Her version of the song is meaningless. It's absence will have no effect.

Bye.

You know what I mean?

Of course it doesn’t matter whose recording of God Bless America is played, and of course ‘***** the Flyers’ applies in all possible situations, but the underlying issue is the desire to rewrite/whitewash history based on the whims of a vocal, powerful minority.  And even worse, it’s portrayed as some type of ‘progress’.  

Progress towards what?  Well, apparently toward a recording of history that only includes the narrative which the vocal, powerful minority wants you to know about.

Those who exert that type of influence don’t have a real great track record throughout history.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Of course it doesn’t matter whose recording of God Bless America is played, and of course ‘***** the Flyers’ applies in all possible situations, but the underlying issue is the desire to rewrite/whitewash history based on the whims of a vocal, powerful minority.  And even worse, it’s portrayed as some type of ‘progress’.  

Progress towards what?  Well, apparently toward a recording of history that only includes the narrative which the vocal, powerful minority wants you to know about.

Those who exert that type of influence don’t have a real great track record throughout history.

I get what you're saying. I don't think this is a great example of that, though. This has no meaningful effect on our history or anybody's life (besides being subject to all the "outrage" on the internets.)

Important people, good and bad, will remain in the history books. History has always been rewritten by powerful people. This is obviously a separate issue.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I get what you're saying. I don't think this is a great example of that, though. This has no meaningful effect on our history or anybody's life (besides being subject to all the "outrage" on the internets.)

Important people, good and bad, will remain in the history books. History has always been rewritten by powerful people. This is obviously a separate issue.

It's a very good example, just not a particularly important one.  But that's not a good reason to dismiss it.

You know what movie I just caught in passing the last few day as I was ducking in and out of the lunchroom @ work.  LoL...

Rollerball

You know... The one about:

"The year is 2018 in a futuristic society where corporations have replaced countries. A violent futuristic game known as Rollerball is the recreational sport of the world, with teams representing various areas. One player, Jonathan E., fights for his personal freedom and threatens the corporate control."

Boy!  The more they get things wrong, the more they get things right!  Ha!

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty sad commentary.....with all of the problems we face today and in the future, we're obsessed with going azz backward to undo history....

Exactly. Obsessed is the word!

First World problems.  Too much time on our hands and people's, corporations (Yankees), etc... Pursuit of perfection in not offending anyone or jeopardizing their revenue stream (which is affected by PR).

There are "helicopter parents" well we live in a "helicopter society" a highly spacialized society where we hone in on every detail.

Hyper PC.  I thought it was suppose to get better, it's getting worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hyper competitors, hyper competition where more people are vying for fewer resources... Where less winners are taking more. "Resources" can mean a lot of things.

This is bad news for the "violence equation."  When people get desparate, they do desperate things.

And social media is the engine that drives much, if not most, of the drilling down to the nerves of the PC issue.  Social media + MSM = a treacherous path away from traditional norms and mores that appear to have served the nation well lo these many years.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

And social media is the engine that drives much, if not most, of the drilling down to the nerves of the PC issue.  Social media + MSM = a treacherous path away from traditional norms and mores that appear to have served the nation well lo these many years.

FWIW... Pope Benedict @ the time, over 10 years ago, warned about this.

I know, I know... Just saying.  FWIW.  Not that we can go back in time for a do over.  I guess, everybody is too busy to listen... Especially coming from an old cranky Pope @ the time! 

On 4/19/2019 at 10:06 AM, Keukasmallies said:

The NY Yankees have discontinued playing Kate Smith's rendition of "God Bless America" at the seventh inning stretch in  response to a complaint that in the early 1930's Ms Smith recorded a "racially insensitive" song.  (The article notes that singer Paul Robson also sang the song at times.)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26556341/yanks-drop-smith-god-bless-america-recording

When I was in  high school (1954 - 1958) I hit a black kid in a fight over a long-forgotten issue; has an office been set up where I should now submit a report of that incident and surrender my car keys?

When will the whining by white men about being outraged that American courts and institutions consider blacks to legitimate grievances end?

On 4/19/2019 at 10:52 AM, Dr. Who said:

Given the propaganda initiated in pre-K through the Ivy elites and everything in-between, Hollywood, media, Google newsfeeds, etc., unlikely to ever change short of complete societal collapse. We are technologically sophisticated barbarians without piety or wisdom.

I'd consider a society that had to go to war to end human slavery, that used violence and terror to deprive millions of Americans their right political and civil rights for more than a century, and that used religion to justify slavery, economic exploitation, and lynching as well as other forms of terror to be neither pious nor wise.  Racist and greedy seems a much better description.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

I'd consider a society that had to go to war to end human slavery, that used violence and terror to deprive millions of Americans their right political and civil rights for more than a century, and that used religion to justify slavery, economic exploitation, and lynching as well as other forms of terror to be neither pious nor wise.  Racist and greedy seems a much better description.

Well, that's the toxic progressive view of the American founding. You're welcome to it.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, Gugny said:

What on earth would we gain for mass piety?

It's a good excuse to butcher people who don't observe the same religious rules that pious bigots would like to impose on everyone.

17 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It's a good excuse to butcher people who don't observe the same religious rules that pious bigots would like to impose on everyone.

Of course, many abolitionists and those who promoted the civil rights movement were motivated by religious beliefs about the spiritual equality of all people. MLK was a Christian minister. The notion that religion is intrinsically intolerant and a pernicious force is demonstrably false. Twentieth century is full of genocides inspired by secular, atheist pursuits of utopia. The dialogic tradition one sees in Aquinas is one of respectful encounter and attempts to mutually discover truth (as exhibited in Summa Contra Gentiles, for instance). The intolerance dominant in contemporary western societies is almost always secular and liberal towards those they silence by making blanket statements about bigotry and racism as a means to shut opposing views up. But believe what you like. No desire to impose any views upon you at all. Happy Easter.

Edited by Dr. Who

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

a pious person would never think of, let alone carry out, murdering another human being

29 minutes ago, row_33 said:

a pious person would never think of, let alone carry out, murdering another human being

You're tendentiously or erroneously failing to remark equivocity in language. Piety in the proper sense implies recognition of the inherent value and dignity of the other. The fact that religious zealots have committed all sorts of attrocious acts has nothing to do with how authentic piety would militate against any such action. Ascribing evil particularly to religious folks would also be injust and probably a culpable blanket statement as you don't appear to be brutishly stupid. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You're tendentiously or erroneously failing to remark equivocity in language. Piety in the proper sense implies recognition of the inherent value and dignity of the other. The fact that religious zealots have committed all sorts of attrocious acts has nothing to do with how authentic piety would militate against any such action. Ascribing evil particularly to religious folks would also be injust and probably a culpable blanket statement as you don't appear to be brutishly stupid. 

my education and professional accomplishments probably dwarf yours, so please be careful in tossing around words that you might not grasp exactly...  :D

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

my education and professional accomplishments probably dwarf yours, so please be careful in tossing around words that you might not grasp exactly...  :D

Well, okay. I have a PhD and am a published author, but if you think my grasp of language is insufficient, point out where I have abused language the way diatribes against religion often do.