Is Buffalo's Philosophy: FA is for Contributors & Draft is for Difference-Makers?

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

The Star signing was terrible.  He’s useless on passing downs so you’re looking at run defender who eats up double teams. Yip. If you think that’s a $10M per year job, then you’re pretty out of touch with the value of players yourself.  And we haven’t even gotten into how front loaded the deal is.  We’d be on the hook for $26M if we cut him after 2 seasons and $33.5M if we cut him after 3. We have to keep him for all 5 seasons to get the $10M per season rate. How is that a defensible contract?

About the same as his replacement in Carolina.  You really need to look around the league at what players are getting paid.  You are stuck in 2005.  9-10 mil for a space eating DT is the going rate.  The problem is you dont actually watch the game being played.  You watch the stat line.  2.399 per gallon for gas where I live.  I wish it was cheaper but that is what it cost so that is what you pay.  It would have been nice to get him for fewer years.  But as to him being productive, I guess you just know more about football than McDermott, Beane and Luke Kuechly.

2017 Run D.

Car-3rd

Buf-29th

2018 Run D

Car-12th

Buf-16th

He is doing what he was brought in to do.

As far as him being paid to much.  You are not qualified to make that assessment.

BTW how much we would be on the hook for if we cut him is a pretty stupid arguement and is pretty irrelevent.  He is doing what he was brought in to do, he aint getting cut.  No 20 mil for a guy to eat space and take up blockers that is rediculous and why Dareus isnt here.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He's making about as much as Damon Harrison on Detroit makes..... he isn't half the "run stuffing, space eating DT" that Harrison is. 

i think if you're really arguing about if star is overpaid by a small amount you are digging deep to find issues.  he is a very good player for us and is the least of our problems.  

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, I'm aware they aren't on our team. But you're the one who said "All of our good, established, players were free agents or we traded for them." That sentence is in the past tense, so it sure looks like you were talking about last year. And Wood absolutely would've been here if he hadn't had the career-ending injury. They gave him an extension just before.

The past tense there is for their prior status as free agents.  No need to go gramando on me.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He's making about as much as Damon Harrison on Detroit makes..... he isn't half the "run stuffing, space eating DT" that Harrison is. 

Harrison wasnt available.

It was Poe or Star.  I'll take Star.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

About the same as his replacement in Carolina.  You really need to look around the league at what players are getting paid.  You are stuck in 2005.  9-10 mil for a space eating DT is the going rate.  The problem is you dont actually watch the game being played.  You watch the stat line.  2.399 per gallon for gas where I live.  I wish it was cheaper but that is what it cost so that is what you pay.  It would have been nice to get him for fewer years.  But as to him being productive, I guess you just know more about football than McDermott, Beane and Luke Kuechly.

2017 Run D.

Car-3rd

Buf-29th

2018 Run D

Car-12th

Buf-16th

He is doing what he was brought in to do.

As far as him being paid to much.  You are not qualified to make that assessment.

BTW how much we would be on the hook for if we cut him is a pretty stupid arguement and is pretty irrelevent.  He is doing what he was brought in to do, he aint getting cut.  No 20 mil for a guy to eat space and take up blockers that is rediculous and why Dareus isnt here.

There is so much wrong with that I’m going to have to break it down in pieces.  Also you might want to dial back on being so condescending. Not a great look.  

Let’s start with what block eating DTs who are only valuable against the run are getting paid.  Poe, who replaced Star in Carolina.  3/$28M and not nearly as front loaded as Star’s contract.  So what other similar players  in that ballpark?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/defensive-tackle/

The above link is to the contracts of all DTs.  I see Star with the 9th biggest DT contract.  I see Poe on there.  Other than that it seems like the well paid DTs are more complete players.  I wouldn’t mind it if the Bills had paid more for such a player.  But to burn that kind of cap space for that long on any player with those limitations is foolish. 

Lastly, you have no idea what kind of assessments I’m qualified to make and to make those kinds of arguments is as stupid as anything I’ve ever seen on these boards.  If you don’t think people who aren’t GMs an NFL coaches should make assessments of football transactions, then why did you weigh in?  There wouldn’t be much point in these boards, huh?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

You want to set yourself up to take calculated risks by bringing in the most talented guy in rd 1.  If you have glaring needs you draft whitner(who was a solid starter for what? 10 years?) Ngata all pro and had seasons of dominance.  

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

There is so much wrong with that I’m going to have to break it down in pieces.  Also you might want to dial back on being so condescending. Not a great look.  

Let’s start with what block eating DTs who are only valuable against the run are getting paid.  Poe, who replaced Star in Carolina.  3/$28M and not nearly as front loaded as Star’s contract.  So what other similar players  in that ballpark?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/defensive-tackle/

The above link is to the contracts of all DTs.  I see Star with the 9th biggest DT contract.  I see Poe on there.  Other than that it seems like the well paid DTs are more complete players.  I wouldn’t mind it if the Bills had paid more for such a player.  But to burn that kind of cap space for that long on any player with those limitations is foolish. 

Lastly, you have no idea what kind of assessments I’m qualified to make and to make those kinds of arguments is as stupid as anything I’ve ever seen on these boards.  If you don’t think people who aren’t GMs an NFL coaches should make assessments of football transactions, then why did you weigh in?  There wouldn’t be much point in these boards, huh?

Actually Im pretty accurate.  Ive seen it you dont have to tell me those things exist.  I dont open my mouth unless Ive researched it.  Every year the prices go up.  At one point Flacco was the highest paid QB wasnt even close to the best QB.  This confo is done.  Im not wasting any further time on it.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

And on March 14th, after dumping Tyrod, going into the FA period, they had about $37 million. Not $50. And again, the $5.5 mill they knew Wood would cost hadn't yet hit the official cap figures. So practically it was $31.5 mill.

Most teams go into free agency with around $30M in cap space..........and yet their fans aren't whining about being cap strapped...........because they aren't cap strapped.

Especially if they have $80M+ in projected cap room the following year...........the cap is malleable.

It's OK to admit they had a terrible UFA period.........9 guys signed and 0.....NONE.....of them played up to their pay grade.

But McBeane have adjusted.........last year they spent the least money in the NFL on their OL and they paid dearly for it.........this year they have bought 6 UFA O-lineman.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Harrison wasnt available.

It was Poe or Star.  I'll take Star.

it aint my money and never is.

they had a problem. a big problem.

they did a nice job making it a lesser problem with a solid FA DT.

nice context you added to the conversation and accurate.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

it aint my money and never is.

they had a problem. a big problem.

they did a nice job making it a lesser problem with a solid FA DT.

nice context you added to the conversation and accurate.

Thanks the poster I was having a confo with just wanted to argue not discuss.  So I had to block another one lol.  I try not to but I come here to laugh, learn and have an honest debate, not to argue.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Most teams go into free agency with around $30M in cap space..........and yet their fans aren't whining about being cap strapped...........because they aren't cap strapped.

Especially if they have $80M+ in projected cap room the following year...........the cap is malleable.

It's OK to admit they had a terrible UFA period.........9 guys signed and 0.....NONE.....of them played up to their pay grade.

But McBeane have adjusted.........last year they spent the least money in the NFL on their OL and they paid dearly for it.........this year they have bought 6 UFA O-lineman.

The cap was 177 million and they had over 70 million in Dead Money.

How can anyone defend that they had plenty of cash?

You can blame them for the dead money but they had the lowest player payroll in the NFL.

31 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Thanks the poster I was having a confo with just wanted to argue not discuss.  So I had to block another one lol.  I try not to but I come here to laugh, learn and have an honest debate, not to argue.

No you don't !

jk

actually i am here do the same , well phrased 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

The cap was 177 million and they had over 70 million in Dead Money.

How can anyone defend that they had plenty of cash?

You can blame them for the dead money but they had the lowest player payroll in the NFL.

The salary cap is malleable...........if you have $80M NEXT offseason you can spend as much of that NOW as you like to get what you want THIS season.

Amortized bonuses........guaranteed portions of base salaries.........

And before you say "Beane would never do that!"............yeah, he does do that..........for example.......part of Mitch Morse's up front cash was an amortizable "signing bonus"......another part of it was a "roster bonus" that counts fully in THIS years cap........ and part of it was guaranteed base salary in 2020 which counts on next years cap but since it's guaranteed it serves the same purpose as up front money.    Additionally the other $4.75M of his 2020 base salary fully guarantees on the fifth day of the 2020 league year.    The likelihood that they would dump him then is low........but if they do then he hits UFA just as it's getting started.    Very attractive deal for the player.

So why was that OK to do this year versus last?    Last year they had a plan for how they hoped UFA would work out...........it didn't work..........so this year.......new plan.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Not really sure if that holds water the Pats have 1 or 2 very talented players needle movers as you call them & they lost one this year in Gronk but for the most part Bellicek has succeeded with a bunch of FA acquisitions that were contributors .

Amendola, Bennet, Bulkhead, Hogan, & many others that are not needle movers ! Coaching & scheme can take contributors & make them into championship teams because it only takes a couple of players (needle movers) to make a huge difference .

Brady, Gronk, Edlemen, Hightower, other than these guys i can't think of many others that you could say were intricate pieces of the championship team last year & in most of the SB's they have won they loose key players that had gone unnoticed until they made good plays for them to win another championship then they move on for the money & the Pats do it again with other FA's ...