Is JP worth a #9 pick in a draft?

Reviewing the draft pick value chart's point system, that's about roughly the cost in points for JP.

We gave up last year's 2nd rd pick(#43) that's valued at 470 points, 5th rd pick(#144) that's valued at 34 points, and this year's 1st rd pick that's the #20 overall that's valued at 850 points. That's a value of 1354 points. The #9 pick overall in a draft is worth 1350 points. Am I looking at this the right way? If I am, is this too high or too low for JP? I'm not sure, but I do know that the value in points that Dallas gave up at the #22 pick overall last year was worth 780 points. Looking at it like this I think Dallas made out pretty good. I would have done it if I were them, wouldn't you.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviewing the draft pick value chart's point system, that's about roughly the cost in points for JP.

We gave up last year's 2nd rd pick(#43) that's valued at 470 points, 5th rd pick(#144) that's valued at  34 points, and this year's 1st rd pick that's the #20 overall that's valued at 850 points. That's a value of 1354 points. The #9 pick overall in a draft is worth 1350 points. Am I looking at this the right way? If I am, is this too high or too low for JP? I'm not sure, but I do know that the value in points that Dallas gave up at the #22 pick overall last year was worth 780 points. Looking at it like this I think Dallas made out pretty good. I would have done it if I were them, wouldn't you.

291635[/snapback]

You're missing one very important variable in the point award system.

J.P.'s value should jump an additional 75-100 points when his voice changes. If he hits puberty in 2005, we'll finally get the last laugh on Dallas!

We gave up last year's 2nd rd pick(#43) that's valued at 470 points, 5th rd pick(#144) that's valued at  34 points, and this year's 1st rd pick that's the #20 overall that's valued at 850 points. That's a value of 1354 points. The #9 pick overall in a draft is worth 1350 points.

Getting your future starting QB a year early so he can learn the system: priceless! :P

We gave up last year's 2nd rd pick(#43) that's valued at 470 points, 5th rd pick(#144) that's valued at  34 points, and this year's 1st rd pick that's the #20 overall that's valued at 850 points. That's a value of 1354 points. The #9 pick overall in a draft is worth 1350 points. Am I looking at this the right way? If I am, is this too high or too low for JP? I'm not sure, but I do know that the value in points that Dallas gave up at the #22 pick overall last year was worth 780 points. Looking at it like this I think Dallas made out pretty good. I would have done it if I were them, wouldn't you.

291635[/snapback]

To answer your question...Yes, Dallas should have done the Deal...Especially considering they had already Signed Drew Henson, and they ended up getting a pretty good HB in the 2nd Round...

But I think in the end it may not matter (at least for a while) because Henson, baring unseen Injury to whatever Vet QB is the flavor of the Month for Parcells, is going to lose very valuable PT in 2005...He already lost valuable PT in 2004 as far as I'm concerned...Maybe it was the fact that the NFC was weak last year and Parcells held out till the end that they had a shot... But I think by the end of 2005, the fact that Parcells held and continues to hold Henson back will end up being the main reason for his soon-to-come departure from Dallas...

I'm not saying Henson is the next Elway, I'm just saying he was a huge part of the Plan, DB is now The Cowboys Starter ( :P ), and they will continue to have no idea what the kid is capable of good or bad...

BTW, I think Henson is capable of very good things (GO BLUE!!), and Parcells may have bought himself a heck of a QB controversy...At least I hope he did... :P

And most definitely JP would be worthy of #9 Overall in this Draft...I think JP would be the Top QB in this Draft and go no later than #5 Overall...Admittedly that opinion is mostly due to his Position and the competition this year...Let's not forget the 3 QB's that went ahead of JP...Granted Rivers has not Played, but they seem like 3 Franchise QB's to me...

We'll find out soon if JP belonged in the Top 10 of the 2004 Draft...Real soon!

Go Bills!!!

Points or otherwise, the Buffalo Bills had the strength of conviction that their Franchise QB going forward was J.P. Losman! It took only one season to conclude that he was NOT ONLY the future of the franchise, but that they collectively "blew a veteran QB out the door" enabling J.P. to take over in 2005. Impressive enough I'd say....

One of the main reasons that TD did the deal at the time was that he was trading the following year's #1 and knew that Drew was likely going to be the QB in 2004. That way he was getting a full year of the talented but raw Losman learning the pro game with his coaching staff and then if he were to start in 2005, it wouldn't be a rookie #1 but a second year #1. That isn't computed in your numbers but it's a large point.

291635[/snapback]

In the long run you and points are right but the system is inherently rigid. I don't know, nor particularly motivated to exactly know, what the point value of Tom Brady, Joe Montana or Thurman Thomas was to their team as a draftee. Of course it does not require quantitative analysis because the quality/ long term value of each ripped asunder points analysis. If JP is a quality QB who leads the Bills to the promise land how do bean counters account for that? If JP exceeds Rivers and Manning in longevity and proven talent years hence how does a quantitative analyst explain? And if JP is arguably equal to Roethlisberger in his body of work will the relative cost differential ever be explainable quantitatively? Roeth.. was "much cheaper" than JP but only a fool would argue that because Roeth... was cheaper and as a result that Jp was not worth the deal GIVEN that Roeth.. was no longer available?! Whatever you think of dearly departed Drew Bledsoe his choice over Mirer was a draft day no brainer. Consider: Draft analysis should be judged after three years when qualitative and quantitative data can be more accurately assessed.

For me its simple:

I don't know.

And that is ok, and Im sure deep down most people here have no idea either.

We have not seen much of JP yet on the field, I certiantely did not see him play that much at Tulane, just saw little highlights here and there at best.

Its just so early to say if this was worth it. Just give it time.

Considering that JP would have been the 1st QB picked if he came out in this

years draft ahead of Rogers and Smith, I think a #9 slot is pretty good.

Also remember, JP has now had 1year of NFL experience under his belt.