A lot of Competition at WR For The Bills in 2019

With the recent acquisitions by the Bills this week, there will be some serious competition at WR....in a good way.  Gone are the days where Jeremy Kerly battled it out with Austin Prohel for WR#3.  The level of quality took quite a jump from the start of camp last year and it might only get better.  Here is their roster:

WR  1Josh Brown

WR 2 Robert Foster 

WR 3 Cole Beasley (slot)

WR 4 Zay Jones

WR 5 Isaiah McKenzie

WR 6 Andre Roberts (KR)

This group will be fighting for one or two WR spots at the bottom of the depth chart:

Duke Williams

Cam Phillips

Da’Mari Scott

Ray Ray McLeod

Victor Boldin Jr

This is the WR’s of today - I wouldn’t rule out bringing in an under-the-radar UFA or a mid-round draft pick.  So competition will only increase.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

They still need top shelf talent at the position.  Draft a WR at 9 please.

I hope it’s not at #9, because I’m not sure there is a guy worth that. Get Oliver or edge, or trade back. I’m still for a high pick WR to develop. 

• Like (+1) 2

Most teams only keep six wide receivers. You have us keeping 7 or 8.

As it stands now, I agree with your top four: Brown, Jones, Foster, and Beasley. They will dress and play on Sundays. I think the order is still to be determined (not necessarily in the order you have).

And then, obviously, Roberts sticks as your 5th spot as KR/PR

So everyone else is battling for one spot. I would think Duke Wiliams has the pole position on that right now. We need a big guy in the room too and he's a big guy that can actually get downfield. Plus, teams usually only dress five WRs on game day. So, if he isn't quite ready, but they think they can coach him up, they can wait on him a bit.

Unless the FO adds a true number one, that's how I see it standing now. And I might be ok with those six players. I'd rather see them draft a big-time TE at this point to round things out, rather than trying to add a true #1 WR (if that really exists, outside of maybe 10 guys in the league). I'm fine with adding a young WR or two in the draft to groom on the practice squad, but I don't think we need to use a premium pick on a WR now.

Edited by folz

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I hope it’s not at #9, because I’m not sure there is a guy worth that. Get Oliver or edge, or trade back. I’m still for a high pick WR to develop. 

Bills have not had a physical specimen WR since Moulds (TO doesn't count).  We have had enough of the smaller guys.

Edited by MacGyver

2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Bills have not had a physical specimen WR since Moulds (TO doesn't count).  We have had enough of the smaller guys.

Maybe you mean we haven’t had a GOOD and BIG WR since Moulds? Who put you in charge of TO doesn’t count? Why not? How about James Hardy? We’ve had big WR’s but very few GOOD WR’s of any size. I’m not at all opposed to a bigger target, but not at #9 in this draft....especially If the reason is we haven’t had a big WR in a long time. Have to do better than that.  

10 minutes ago, ukbuffalo said:

Nah , I’m thinking round 3. Get a complementary WR what is slightly different to our current lot

By complimentary I hope you mean taller.  All of the signed WRs in FA are under 6 foot.  The kick returner is tallest and heaviest!

Player                  Ht    Wt    Age    Y    College
Andre Roberts         5'11"   195    31    9    The Citadel
Josh Brown            5'10"   179    28    8    Pittsburg State University
Cole Beasley          5'8"    180    29    7    Southern Methodist University
Zay Jones             6'2"    200    23    2    East Carolina
Isaiah McKenzie       5'8"    173    23    2    Georgia
Robert Foster         6'2"    196    24    1    Alabama
Ray-Ray McCloud III   5'9"    190    22    1    Clemson
Cam Phillips          6'1"    201    23    1    Virginia Tech
Da'Mari Scott         6'1"    205    23    R    Fresno State
Duke Williams         6'3"    225    25    R    Auburn

Just now, Augie said:

Maybe you mean we haven’t had a GOOD and BIG WR since Moulds? Who put you in charge of TO doesn’t count? Why not? How about James Hardy? We’ve had big WR’s but very few GOOD WR’s of any size. I’m not at all opposed to a bigger target, but not at #9 in this draft....especially If the reason is we haven’t had a big WR in a long time. Have to do better than that.  

TO and Hardy kind of prove the point don't they? One washed up, one a headcase.  Lee Evans was good, but I'm talking 6'4" specimen etc, I just want.

9 minutes ago, folz said:

Unless the FO adds a true number one, that's how I see it standing now. And I might be ok with those six players. I'd rather see them draft a big-time TE at this point to round things out, rather than trying to add a true #1 WR (if that really exists, outside of maybe 10 guys in the league). I'm fine with adding a young WR or two in the draft to groom on the practice squad, but I don't think we need to use a premium pick on a WR now.

Agree that a TE is more important at this point than a WR.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

TO and Hardy kind of prove the point don't they? One washed up, one a headcase.  Lee Evans was good, but I'm talking 6'4" specimen etc, I just want.

Umm, what point are you trying to prove, exactly? 

You can just want, but want at the right price. 

Just now, Augie said:

Umm, what point are you trying to prove, exactly? 

You can just want, but want at the right price. 

If there is a trade down to be had and Metcalf can still be had, great.  Certainly not opposed to that.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

By complimentary I hope you mean taller.  All of the signed WRs in FA are under 6 foot.  The kick returner is tallest and heaviest!

Player                  Ht    Wt    Age    Y    College
Andre Roberts         5'11"   195    31    9    The Citadel
Josh Brown            5'10"   179    28    8    Pittsburg State University
Cole Beasley          5'8"    180    29    7    Southern Methodist University
Zay Jones             6'2"    200    23    2    East Carolina
Isaiah McKenzie       5'8"    173    23    2    Georgia
Robert Foster         6'2"    196    24    1    Alabama
Ray-Ray McCloud III   5'9"    190    22    1    Clemson
Cam Phillips          6'1"    201    23    1    Virginia Tech
Da'Mari Scott         6'1"    205    23    R    Fresno State
Duke Williams         6'3"    225    25    R    Auburn

Exactly , a bigger bodied red zone threat 

24 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

They still need top shelf talent at the position.  Draft a WR at 9 please.

I highly doubt this will occur - looking at OL or DL player who can immediately contribute.  WR’s take a couple of years to hit their stride, usually.