Moving to Salt Lake City in May

ColdFront_USAF

17 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

After two years overseas it looks like I'll be stationed about 30 minutes from Salt Lake City, Utah in a couple of months. Are there any Bills fans out there who could point me to some backers bars?

I’ve only been to SLC once, so can’t be much help.  The only one listed on the Bills Backers site is Doolan’s - which is now a place called Collie’s - 738 Main St., Park City.

Usually, when a place changes ownership, the new owners try to keep some of the things - and clientele - that made the old place successful, so the Bills Backers may still go there.  If the place was filled with Bills fans every Sunday, chances are the new owners won’t want to lose that.

https://www.colliesbbq.com/

You could email the chapter president, Sherry Weaver, and ask her...

sherry@utahbroadband.com

(Don’t know if that email is current, but it’s the one listed on the site.)

http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com/assets/pdf/Bills-Backers-Chapter-List-NEW.pdf

51 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Back in 85 86 I was a bartender on Main St Park City. Jazz coach Frank Layden was an afternoon regular in the off-season. He would come in with Lou Hudson from Atl Hawks fame and they would sit at my bar, have lunch and beer, and talk ball. Had a lot of great conversations with those guys. Frank had a great Brooklyn sense of humor.

LOVED Frank when he coached Niagara.  He gave great interviews - always had something clever, witty, funny to say.

Edited by The Senator
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Back in 85 86 I was a bartender on Main St Park City. Jazz coach Frank Layden was an afternoon regular in the off-season. He would come in with Lou Hudson from Atl Hawks fame and they would sit at my bar, have lunch and beer, and talk ball. Had a lot of great conversations with those guys. Frank had a great Brooklyn sense of humor.

Frank once said that he had to stop wearing blue suits because people kept dropping rolls of film in his pockets.  That was back when Photo Mats were still around.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

I’ve only been to SLC once, so can’t be much help.  The only one listed on the Bills Backers site is Doolan’s - which is now a place called Collie’s - 738 Main St., Park City.

Usually, when a place changes ownership, the new owners try to keep some of the things - and clientele - that made the old place successful, so the Bills Backers may still go there.  If the place was filled with Bills fans every Sunday, chances are the new owners won’t want to lose that.

https://www.colliesbbq.com/

You could email the chapter president, Sherry Weaver, and ask her...

sherry@utahbroadband.com

(Don’t know if that email is current, but it’s the one listed on the site.)

http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com/assets/pdf/Bills-Backers-Chapter-List-NEW.pdf

Pretty sure it is still a Billsbacker bar. I used to play in pool tournaments there before it was Doolans. I think it was originally called Mulligans. The owner John had another bar at the top of Main that was the ASCAP lounge during Sundance filmfest. I ran the restaurant upstairs and John would give me a couple laminates to get in the lounge. The public was not allowed and it was full of industry folks and celebrities. Saw some great music there, Bob Dylan, Michael McDonald, Suzanne Vega, The Flying Burrito Bros. Garth Hudson, Cake, Calexico to name a few. Hung out with Susan Sarandon while watching Tim Robbins' punk band. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

If you're into skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, climbing and mountaineering, there is a lot of that near Salt Lake City.  I was just at Snowbird skiing and snowboarding a couple of weeks ago and it is fantastic.  It is a nice area from what I saw, and the locals I talked to were all nice and liked living there.  The only real downside I could see is that since SLC is in a valley and surrounded by mountains, there can be a smog problem as the air can't always escape easily.  Good luck.

17 hours ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Awesome! Grew up skiing in Buffalo but haven't been able to in years. I'm excited to get back into it!

If you're looking to get back into skiing and haven't been to Alta/Snowbird make every effort to get there for a powder day. Greatest snow on earth! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I went to slc about 16 years ago. One of my favorite cities I've ever been to. Utah in general is just a beautiful state 

Good point. Southern Utah has some of the countries greatest National Parks. Me and the fam did Bryce and Zion a few years ago. Could have spent more time than we did at each. There are still a bunch of other well known parks in Utah and neighboring states that are still on the to-do list.

Great part of the country ColdFront, make the most of it!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

If you're looking to get back into skiing and haven't been to Alta/Snowbird make every effort to get there for a powder day. Greatest snow on earth! 

I like Alta, old school ski area with no heel scrapers to wreck the powder runs ⛷️. You can telemark to there from the backside of Park Cities Jupiter Peak by following the ridge past the top of Big Cottonwood canyon and then drop in over the ridge to Little Cottonwood. I spent a season in a cabin back there at 9500 ft., you could only access the cabin by snowmobile. To get to Alta by car it took about an hour to drive from Park City down to the valley then up the canyon. That canyon would just get buried in snow sometimes and be inaccessible. There were a couple of high lakes on the back side of Alta we would hike to in the summer. Magical place.

Edited by Turk71

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Good point. Southern Utah has some of the countries greatest National Parks. Me and the fam did Bryce and Zion a few years ago. Could have spent more time than we did at each. There are still a bunch of other well known parks in Utah and neighboring states that are still on the to-do list.

Great part of the country ColdFront, make the most of it!

Angel's Landing in Zion is an amazing hike. The Narrows at the right time of year is an unforgettable experience, wrong time of year very dangerous. We would go to Zion for a week long party at the end of the ski season every year. An artist friend in Park City had about 40 acres of vineyard on the Virgin River a couple miles from Springdale Park entrance, he would throw a big Spring gathering for a few hundred friends and family complete with live music, his vintage wine, swimming, hilarious Saturday night talent show, and a clothing optional costume parade on Sunday. Annual event right down the road from the ghost town. I love that area. 

22 hours ago, mead107 said:

Will you get any time to be able to come to a Game in Buffalo? 

I'm hoping so, but not likely in 2019. I leave my current base in May and I'll be taking a month of leave to see my family that I haven't seen in 2 years now, so I probably won't have enough left to go home during the season. There's always a chance though. 

6 minutes ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

I'm hoping so, but not likely in 2019. I leave my current base in May and I'll be taking a month of leave to see my family that I haven't seen in 2 years now, so I probably won't have enough left to go home during the season. There's always a chance though. 

Where are you from? Apologize if already stated

I think you are gonna like living in Utah. You will be treated with respect and find yourself surrounded by a raw and powerful nature.

3 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Moab, Utah.  Not too close to SLC, but worth checking out.  Arches National Park, and a huge off-road bicycle community. 

Moab is a fun and funny town. Especially if you like watching people tip over expensive vehicles trying to climb really big rocks. Great bike trails, the big problem and the elephant in the room about Moab is that the uranium that blew up the 2 Japanese cities end of Ww2 was mined there right on the rivers edge. The town has a history of being poisoned like many of the poisoned

mining towns out west. Park City where I lived for many years has one creek draining the canyon it resides in, Poison Creek. Being the richest Silver Lode in the entire world at the time, the ecological destruction was guaranteed.    

19 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Moab, Utah.  Not too close to SLC, but worth checking out.  Arches National Park, and a huge off-road bicycle community. 

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey is a cool book he wrote while working for the Park Service in Arches

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/23/2019 at 11:02 PM, Augie said:

I was in 8th grade and went with the family for a week of vacation. Most of my friends were 1-2 years older where we lived. While I was gone there was an incident involving vodka. Doug, Tom and their Mormon family had packed up and moved to Utah in a matter of days. Not judging that, but it was amazing how fast they cleared out. I never saw them again. 

Are you certain that they weren't simply fleeing you?

Can't say I know of Bills bars, but I went to SLC a number of times for work.   

Outside of SLC If you love a brown landscape the colors are pretty nice for tumbleweeds, Snakes and scorpions.

Its a 3 or 4 hour drive from SLC to litterally the middle of nowhere, but you can check out the Bonneville Salt flats if you want to "get away"

Wendover is a very small town that probably only exists because of the raceway. 

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Angel's Landing in Zion is an amazing hike. The Narrows at the right time of year is an unforgettable experience, wrong time of year very dangerous. We would go to Zion for a week long party at the end of the ski season every year. An artist friend in Park City had about 40 acres of vineyard on the Virgin River a couple miles from Springdale Park entrance, he would throw a big Spring gathering for a few hundred friends and family complete with live music, his vintage wine, swimming, hilarious Saturday night talent show, and a clothing optional costume parade on Sunday. Annual event right down the road from the ghost town. I love that area. 

You are living my dream. I get the CliffsNotes version of life out West, you get the whole book. My youngest was in 4th grade when we went to Zion so we were able to hike the Narrows, but Angel's Landing wasn't an option for us.

17 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

You are living my dream. I get the CliffsNotes version of life out West, you get the whole book. My youngest was in 4th grade when we went to Zion so we were able to hike the Narrows, but Angel's Landing wasn't an option for us.

Good choice. Angel's Landing is kind of dangerous, at the top you have to walk a knife edge about 3000 ft down to the valley floor and hold on to chains to make it to Angel's Landing, where you can survey almost the entire Zion National Park and Virgin River Valley.  I don't know if they have made it any safer now but it was kinda crazy back in the day. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Where are you from? Apologize if already stated

I think you are gonna like living in Utah. You will be treated with respect and find yourself surrounded by a raw and powerful nature.

I'm from Buffalo, my parents still live about 10 minutes from the Ralph. I've been in Japan for the last two years and Texas the year before that, so I'm excited to be going home. 

I love the outdoors, I think Utah will fit me really well for however long I end up there. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

I'm from Buffalo, my parents still live about 10 minutes from the Ralph. I've been in Japan for the last two years and Texas the year before that, so I'm excited to be going home. 

I love the outdoors, I think Utah will fit me really well for however long I end up there. 

If you thought Buffalo summers were short .....  Utah summers are shorter. 

For the two years I traveled and worked in Utah and Montana  the snow starts to fall in the FALL.  (Last week in Sept)

Snow remains on the mountain tops into June.