The "National Emergency" Thread

Tiberius

Just now, Chef Jim said:

So Twitter determines what is "sensitive" content and censors what they feel is "inappropriate"  

Correct. Hence the last year+ of conservative/fringe accounts complaining about being shadowbanned or having their content hidden. I can confirm first hand this happens, and always with the most explosive/evidence laden tweets. The same is not done to progressive (even fringe progressive/anarchist) accounts. Here's what it looks like: 

2Sj1a.png

(my settings are not configured to in the way the warning suggests)

36 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

To be clear on what just happened here, Republicans tried to come up with a way to give Trump the national emergency he wants, while also giving themselves a way to mitigate the political damage from it. And this does have the potential to be damaging: A new Politico/Morning Consult poll finds that only 38 percent of Americans favor the emergency declaration, while 52 percent oppose it. Independents oppose it by 57-30, and a plurality of 46 percent of independents say they would be less likely to vote for a lawmaker who backs Trump on this.

That means Senators up for reelection have to think about this vote. As Morning Consult’s vice president puts it: “Backing Trump’s national emergency declaration could be politically toxic for senators up for reelection bids in 2020.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/03/13/after-republicans-prostrate-themselves-before-trump-he-humiliates-them-further/?utm_term=.3b480d834939

Well there’s some cherry picked stats. Also, do you believe polls? I used to until 11/2016. 

57 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Correct. Hence the last year+ of conservative/fringe accounts complaining about being shadowbanned or having their content hidden. I can confirm first hand this happens, and always with the most explosive/evidence laden tweets. The same is not done to progressive (even fringe progressive/anarchist) accounts. Here's what it looks like: 

Ok then my next question is why on earth would you even consider using it?

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Well, clearly we don't need a wall, we need more technology like drones. See, we only have one angle of the illegals rushing the border, when we could spend billions of dollars to have enough surveillance equipment to show them crossing the border from multiple camera angles while Border Parole agents are still 2+ hours away because there's nothing to dissuade the illegals from crossing there.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok then my next question is why on earth would you even consider using it?

Even with it's faults, the speed/access it provides you with news and information can be useful. It can/should be a great way to spread information as well, which is what I primarily use it for. Despite the censorship/throttling, it's a fast way to reach a pretty large audience with open source information/evidence/information. 

They're eventually going to implode under the weight of their partisan censorship, or be regulated in someway along with the rest of the social media/big tech companies. Right now there are some okay competing companies/sites, but they don't have the same reach.

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Even with it's faults, the speed/access it provides you with news and information can be useful. It can/should be a great way to spread information as well, which is what I primarily use it for. Despite the censorship/throttling, it's a fast way to reach a pretty large audience with open source information/evidence/information. 

They're eventually going to implode under the weight of their partisan censorship, or be regulated in someway along with the rest of the social media/big tech companies. Right now there are some okay competing companies/sites, but they don't have the same reach.

Thing is, if they continue down the path towards throttling certain points of view, a competitor will fill their niche.

Kind of surprised the competitors aren't doing better yet.  (Says the guy who doesn't work the twitter well at all.)  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Thing is, if they continue down the path towards throttling certain points of view, a competitor will fill their niche.

Kind of surprised the competitors aren't doing better yet.  (Says the guy who doesn't work the twitter well at all.)  

One problem is the only public sites which are completely on the level/support free speech in all forms - inevitably become cesspools.

25 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don't care if it can suck my dick will I'm getting/giving information.  Censorship is is bull####.  And pansy ass censorship to boot.  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

2Sj1a.png

I never see this.  You sure it's your settings?

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yup. They mess with my account. I'll uncheck the appropriate settings, only to find them rechecked (with more) the next day. 

Maybe they know something about you that you don't?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

One problem is the only public sites which are completely on the level/support free speech in all forms - inevitably become cesspools.

Definitely can create other problems/ issues, but have to believe that there'd be demand for a site that truly plays (or at least truly tries to play) it straight (like Twitter, Google, & the like seem(ed) to do).

5 hours ago, The_Dude said:

I support their right to gab. I encourage them to do so. It’s the voting that I want them to be afraid of. 

why not, the ones that are going nowhere and wasting everyone's time on here, are ignored