2005's surprise cut of the year will be...

My surprise cut is ..... Tom Modrak, Assistant General Manager

Tom decides that Modrak is too set in his ways and will not become a buddy GM until he is no longer working for the Bills so he cuts him in December so he is at the top of seeking GM list for next season.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought TV knew it was coming sooner or later and has said that however he can help the team is fine as long as he can be on the field and contribute.

289632[/snapback]

Knew that was the plan, but said publicly last year he felt he could still play CB. Again, thread was surprise cuts, and while I do not thnk this will happen, it would be a surprise if it did. Also, didn't even consider the cap hit were it to happen, and I have no idea what it would be.

I dunno why no one has suggested Teague - IMO he's a goner June 1.

289681[/snapback]

As it stands today Teague is the Bills #1 option at LT and OC. Unless the Bills go on a F/A spending spree, I would be shocked to see Teague cut. He was much improved in 2004 over the previous season.

No some GM's actually value talent and team chemistry.

289673[/snapback]

Not really anymore in this day and age. If a GM starts to see a flaw in a players' ability he will immediately look for someone cheaper that looks like he may be able to play at a high level sometime in the near future. Is it the best way? Probably not in the short term, but for long term success its the only way.

Knew that was the plan, but said publicly last year he felt he could still play CB. Again, thread was surprise cuts, and while I do not thnk this will happen, it would be a surprise if it did.

289685[/snapback]

It'd be a surpise alright!

i disagree. we've all been disappointed in josh's lack of production. but a lot of that was bledsoe. Drew NEVER looked his way. There was just no chemistry between those two guys. This will change with JP, I'm betting. Josh will finally have his breakout year after holding off Aiken in camp for the #3 spot.

Clump, I admire your knowledge of the cap but evidently your valuable expertise does not extend to talent analysis. Denney may very well move to tight end. Even if that does not occur his value as a swing lineman ( as a pass rushing tackle on third and passing downs as well as a defensive end who can drop in coverage in zone blitz situations) is great. TD and MM highly value versatility and two-fer players. Of course your choice of Denney as a surprise cut may only have cap-related value.

289621[/snapback]

I forgot to put the smiley in :doh:

I was kidding LOL

I haven't seen anything on Denney moving to TE.  Where did you read this?

289645[/snapback]

What you read is the educated guesses of observers. Fact: Denney did play some TE last season. Fact: both TE's from last year are under injury watch. Fact: TD and MM wisely collect athletes who provide options. That it has not appeared in Bills Digest is not proof it has not been contemplated. This is a thought experiment topic and is not presented as Gospel.

Moulds....Williams.....Wire.....Moorman....No player is ever safe on a TD team.  If he can find talent for less money, you are gone!

289660[/snapback]

I think you're being a bit silly listing those players. I agree with TD finding talent for less money, though. And that's the way it should be. This isn't a charity or pity party.

"But Marcellus was such a great quote we should have kept him!"

I think you're being a bit silly listing those players. I agree with TD finding talent for less money, though. And that's the way it should be. This isn't a charity or pity party.

"But Marcellus was such a great quote we should have kept him!"

290014[/snapback]

I agree that you should be looking for players that add value, and look to resign players at the right price. But cutting someone who is on the roster (the question posed) for someone else who is cheaper does not always make sense. Sometimes I wonder if TD and other GMs think they are playing "look how smart I am".

Mike Gandy.

While some people have viewed this guy who got cut by the Bears & then by the Panthers via "failed physical" as a potential starter, I view him as training camp fodder until proven otherwise. If he was any good 1) The Bears wouldn't have waived him in the middle of the season. 2) The Panthers would have IR'd him even if he failed his physical.