This Is Why Spending Big $ For A RB Is Not Wise:

YodaMan79

14 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

For sure. CJ Anderson is like a good Mike Tolbert. Really funny looking, effective back. Gurley is just a stud.

Lol I don't really think that's his playing weight anyways. Weird he didn't stick with anybody this season, but if he doesn't stick with the Rams.

Git er done Beane and blam him and Shady can get it done. I think hr can be a #1 and he showed with the

Broncos, he can play with a subpar line. 2 3 down backs is great for Quarterbacks always having a safety blanket when in trouble. Ivory is all right but but those two I'd be perfectly fine with Bills running backs going in the next year. And it gives us the luxury to look for a Kamara in the draft later rounds.

Our running game can get better even without investing in offensive line IMO. And of course we are going to improve there.. hard not to! Drooling at it.

I'd pay for Bell 3 years if we end up not being able to spend enough money but that's a hot take I don't really want to argue about lol. Just saying we'd have a far better pass-catching group overnight.

And the spirit of the OP, no I don't want to invest in running backs too heavily but that goes for any position.. I DO want to spend our money this offseason while we have cap and few upcoming contracts to worry about anyway. Team building's more about your cap situation not exactly what positions your money is going. Elite players anywhere make it worth it so long as you're not jeopardizing strengthening up or retaining units going forward. Josh Allen on a rookie deal is a good enough reason for me to spend heavily on offense. That's precisely why the Zeke and Gurley contracts are working for their teams.

And learning how to win why you're not having a team cap hamstrung and have appropriate talent is huge for young quarterbacks. Don't think goff and Dak and Russell Wilson have such good starts their career otherwise before they become the best talent on offense

Same goes for Watson and Hopkins. I want to get good quick and presumably that's why we have the cap

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love seeing a smart rub block from a running back! Very important high IQ position next to Quarterback

Marshall Faulk's best attribute and biggest reason for the greatest show on turf 

I'mo

On 1/25/2019 at 10:16 AM, Virgil said:

I think we’ve all learned in the past few years that it isn’t as simple as just having a solid runningback.  It’s about your offensive line, your scheme, your respectable passing game.  

Even the list you just posted only shows a 50% success rate in the first 3 rounds. That’s not a good thing. 

Teams shouldn’t pay for a guy who is aging or doesn’t fit their scheme. But if you have a guy who you know is good, fits your scheme, younger that 27, I think you absolutely pay him.  

We went through a phase of runningback by committee and some teams still do. It’s what keeps players like Kamara fresh.  But they also are going to pay him when it’s time. He’s changed their offense.  

Someone like Bell, if he were 2 years younger and didn’t have suspension issues?  I think he absolutely gets the 17 mil he’s looking for.  

End result, it’s not cut and dry about the position.  

50% success rate?  50% of them have made a Pro Bowl already.  100% of them are good.  Foreman was hurt all year but Houston still has high hopes for him.

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

Starter for a playoff team.  Not great, but not a bust.

Starter? He was only activated off PUP in December had 7 carries for minus 1 yard and was 3rd string to Miller and the pedestrian Alfred Blue. For a third round pick he has been a disappointment to this point. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Starter? He was only activated off PUP in December had 7 carries for minus 1 yard and was 3rd string to Miller and the pedestrian Alfred Blue. For a third round pick he has been a disappointment to this point. 

He tore his Achilles last year and never made it back. Billy O went on record at the beginning of the month saying it took Foreman forever to get healthy but he thinks he will be an excelllent player again next year. 

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

He tore his Achilles last year and never made it back. Billy O went on record at the beginning of the month saying it took Foreman forever to get healthy but he thinks he will be an excelllent player again next year. 

And he may well be. The argument was that they are 100% hits so far. Foreman is at best an incomplete.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is consistent with people believing Jared Goff is just a stiff who turns around and hands it off and does what McVay whispers in his ear during the play because they snap the ball so early. There was before the playoffs a genuine belief out there that the Rams offense was more reliant on Todd Gurley (fine back though he is) than Jared Goff. They are not, they never were, and some fans are gonna have to get used to the fact that Goff is a good Quarterback.

Goff's an excellent quarterback. Underrated too IMO.

But if Todd Gurley is just a "fine back" with 1,800+ YFS and not considered 1a and 1b to Goff in the Rams offense than he is VASTLY underrated! It's synergy.. we need to stop attributing an offense's success with one player. Gurley provides a threat Goff has a luxury of having both the passing game, as a blocker, as keeping defenses honest on the pass, and making the redzone offense for the Rams a pick your poison situation. The coach is great, the QB, the RB, the OL. the refs aren't too shabby for the Rams either.. If they didn't have all these pieces, they wouldn't be in the SB.

No Goff, no SB. No Gurley, no SB. No McVay, no SB.

It's Gurley's nose for the end zone that is the driving force here. RB TDs are a godsend to offenses, they make the most important 7 point play so much easier for everybody.

Mack for Indy seems to be the typical solid college back with pretty good vision, Thurman type size at 5'11  209lbs, but just happens to be playing behind a great Oline with a solid passing attack.

Basically your passing offense needs to be good enough to keep a defense respectful of the throw, or you're running into a stacked box of NFL beasts all game.

It's a great debate, and an interesting topic because RB's can change the game, but any decent undrafted runner can get good numbers behind a great line.  I still laugh about Emmitt Smith's crazy numbers, they should have an asterisk next to them for all the runs he had a 10 foot wide hole you could drive a car through.

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

Mack for Indy seems to be the typical solid college back with pretty good vision, Thurman type size at 5'11  209lbs, but just happens to be playing behind a great Oline with a solid passing attack.

Basically your passing offense needs to be good enough to keep a defense respectful of the throw, or you're running into a stacked box of NFL beasts all game.

It's a great debate, and an interesting topic because RB's can change the game, but any decent undrafted runner can get good numbers behind a great line.  I still laugh about Emmitt Smith's crazy numbers, they should have an asterisk next to them for all the runs he had a 10 foot wide hole you could drive a car through.

Mack is pretty good and he can catch. He is similar to Williams for KC. I’d be fine with a RB in that mold. 

NE used a first on Sony, he isn’t anything special. I’d rather a back like Mack in the 4th round. Heck he might be the better player straight up. 

Plenty of capable running backs out there, fix the oline and stop signing high mileage guys. It’s wasteful spending and it takes up a roster spot that would be better spent on a late round back or UDFA. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:52 AM, YodaMan79 said:

Buffalo Timmy -- I agree with you 100%.  Players like Sanders, LT or even most recently Barkley would be worthy.  Emmitt is a prime example of what an OL can do.  Not saying he wasn't good, but I think his greatest ability was durability.  Draft and develop the best OL possible, then watch all the skill position players flourish!

I literally just had this conversation with an 18 year old cowboy fan. I told him to ask his Dad for one game where you finished game and said "thank God we got Emmitt" because he could not think of one-though he is young. Kid also said Barkley is worthy of my consideration-I did not see it this year but his team was awful so hard to tell. But clearly you are bright man so I will give the Barkley kid another look.

13 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Goff's an excellent quarterback. Underrated too IMO.

But if Todd Gurley is just a "fine back" with 1,800+ YFS and not considered 1a and 1b to Goff in the Rams offense than he is VASTLY underrated! It's synergy.. we need to stop attributing an offense's success with one player. Gurley provides a threat Goff has a luxury of having both the passing game, as a blocker, as keeping defenses honest on the pass, and making the redzone offense for the Rams a pick your poison situation. The coach is great, the QB, the RB, the OL. the refs aren't too shabby for the Rams either.. If they didn't have all these pieces, they wouldn't be in the SB.

No Goff, no SB. No Gurley, no SB. No McVay, no SB.

It's Gurley's nose for the end zone that is the driving force here. RB TDs are a godsend to offenses, they make the most important 7 point play so much easier for everybody.

Goff is not...yet...an excellent QB.  He doesn’t handle pressure well.  Chicago showed the blue print and he and the Rams offense have not been the same since.  

He isn’t even in the top 7 of the best QBs in the NFL right now and may not even be top 10.

Now he IS an excellent young QB, but he hasn’t reached the excellent overall QB pinnacle just yet.  He needs to improve some things to take that step towards being an excellent QB.