Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

Haven’t looked at the underlying analytics in a while (I mean why bother any more), but I’d predict we are one of the worst D zone teams in the league. We are beyond bad for frequent sustained periods. 

Two Questions

1) who is the bigger homer.Dunleavy or Murph?

2) Sabres 2nd worst team in the NHL?

now 3

3) is there another team that has ever prevented a goal like 29 just did?

Edited by plenzmd1

Love watching McJesus and the things he does on the ice, but I enjoyed it when he clanged it of the iron with an open net. 

I know we needed the man on the ice, but somebody needed to clock Draisaitl after he took Jack out at mid ice to prevent him being sent in alone. Soft as charmin, this group.

Need 14 out of the remaining 32 points to reach that “magical” twenty point improvement over last season or a .438 clip. Problem is, we are playing at a .390 clip since November 27th, a whopping .012 improvement over last year’s debacle. I think they will be hardpresed to get there based on that 95 day sample since the streak ended. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Need 14 out of the remaining 32 points to reach that “magical” twenty point improvement over last season or a .438 clip. Problem is, we are playing at a .390 clip since November 27th, a whopping .012 improvement over last year’s debacle. I think they will be hardpresed to get there based on that 95 day sample since the streak ended. 

It’s all a head game now (and luck) and we are sorely lacking confidence. It is done 

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Two Questions

1) who is the bigger homer.Dunleavy or Murph?

2) Sabres 2nd worst team in the NHL?

now 3

3) is there another team that has ever prevented a goal like 29 just did?

Well, they are both paid by the team they broadcast, so there's that.

No, we are better than the 2nd worst in the NHL.  I put us somewhere around 6th from the bottom, but that's debatable! 

I have never seen a player make a save on his own shot like Pommer did tonight.  A fitting play for this team particularly in this season.

As this season winds down, our "win 1 in 3" usual sort of pace is going to deteriorate beyond that.  At some point this group of losers are going to straight up quit.  

As much as I think Housley will be the HC for Game 1 of next season, there is still hope that this thing can get ugly enough to see him terminated at the end of the season.

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I sure hope for a better showing tonight than that 7-2 disaster the last time they played the Oilers. 

Adding insult to injury, Lucic even scored 2 goals in that game. He only had 2 goals the entire 2018 calendar year.  That 2 goal night against Buffalo accounts for something like 40% of his goals in the last 70+ games.  Kassian scored 2 as well. At the time he had gone 40+ games without a goal. Longest drought of his career. 

I cant take another brutal loss to Edmonton. lol 

Yes, yes you can.. I promise to return to this punishment thread if the Sabres win another game this season.

• Haha (+1) 1

I know it’s piling in now , but still

https://www.diebytheblade.com/platform/amp/2019/3/4/18249441/concerns-about-the-buffalo-sabres-head-coach-continue-to-pile-up-phil-housley?utm_campaign=cmdedominicis&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

The defense was supposed to be a specialty of this coach and that area of their game continues to struggle. Believe it or not, they’re actually giving up higher expected goals against rate this season at 2.03 per game, compared to 1.93 last season. A supposedly improved defensive team is giving up better chances per game to their opponent than the worst team in the league last season.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I don’t believe it. This is a team clearly on the rise. Or so I’ve been led to believe. 

Seriously though, that’s quite the indictment. On management, on coaches, on players. 

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That's a great question!  It doesn't help that Pegula is clueless as a sports owner and put the wrong people in place to begin this rebuild.  We are now onto the Rebuild Phase II, which explains why we are still where we're at. 

Botterill then completely botched the ROR trade which will set the team back 2 or 3 years IMO.  He gave away maybe the best player on the team (at the moment) and the true 2C this team desperately needs in exchange for nothing.  That sort of mistake is not easily recovered from. 

So as long as it has been, we are still in the early stages.

But O'Rielly didnt like losing and was sad, so he had to go. Couldnt have that mopey attitude in the lockerroom affecting the good vibes from the rest of the roster who had no issues throwing away seasons to get better draft positioning.....

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

But O'Rielly didnt like losing and was sad, so he had to go. Couldnt have that mopey attitude in the lockerroom affecting the good vibes from the rest of the roster who had no issues throwing away seasons to get better draft positioning.....

ROR is a hell of a good 2-way hockey player and he very quickly took in the atmosphere in Buffalo and realized he wanted nothing to do with it.  He then launched a PR campaign mostly through post-game PCs where he all but said "TRADE ME."

The night when he went so far as to say he realized he lost his passion for the game had me laughing out loud at the time, as it was so obvious what he was doing.  He was daring Botterill NOT to trade him.

However, Botterill being the rookie that he is played the whole thing wrong.  The team had all the leverage, not ROR.  They needed to either find a package that totally fleeced the other team for ROR, or RETAIN HIM and find a way to get it through to him that he was here to stay so he better cheer up.

He signed a 7 year K extension with the Sabres.  Eventually his play would have improved as the $$$ these guys make is tied to performance, ultimately.   He couldn't conduct his scored earth policy long term IMO.

Instead, we moved him after his 3rd year for a bunch of pieces, all of which combined add up to nothing.

We gave up Zadorov, Grigorenko, JT Compher, and the 31st pick in the 2015 draft to get ROR in the first place.

That's a lot of assets going out the door ultimately in exchanged for nothing.

This is why bad franchises are bad to begin with, and why they tend to stay that way.

It's call mismanagement.

It's also why the best franchises in any sport tend to stay near the top long term, despite not having top draft picks.  They avoid making these sorts of debilitating bonehead moves.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Yeah but the type of defense Housley is trying to instill is a very aggressive, pinching, attacking defense where they move into the play in the O zone as much as possible.

It's not a stay at home keep the puck out of your own net type of defense.

We just added another big time minus player to the roster in Montour.  He was near the bottom of the league in +/- in Anaheim.  He'll fit in well around here, particularly with Risto.  The 2 of them are offensively-oriented D men who are totally defensive liabilities.

17 hours ago, GG said:

Is there a stat for teams giving up most goals in the last 90 seconds of a period?

Yes, Buffalo is a whopping .875  in the Pants Shitting Rating during the last 90 seconds in the period.  Also, a .924 in the first 90 seconds of a period.  But most remarkably Buffalo is a .989 in the Pants Shitting Rating in the 180 seconds after allowing a goal or scoring a goal.   

• Haha (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Yes, Buffalo is a whopping .875  in the Pants Shitting Rating during the last 90 seconds in the period.  Also, a .924 in the first 90 seconds of a period.  But most remarkably Buffalo is a .989 in the Pants Shitting Rating in the 180 seconds after allowing a goal or scoring a goal.   

I'm just glad to see that the word shitting makes it past the language filter.