Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

13 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

^^^^^ @K-9 , don't you know silly they are coming from last place, ( lets not discuss the fact he coached em to last place)...and it's Buffalo so first, lower your expectations!..the plan and the process is sacred, wins and points are for neophytes who don't understand the modern game...the long game of making the playoffs when Jack is about to come off his 8 year deal is where the smart, patient fan lands. 

People who want them to make the playoffs ...uneducated.

Next year we will compete for a playoff spot as we bring the kids from Rochester up..(cant expect them to really make the playoffs in their first year), the year after we should expect an 8th place finish as the kids grow into their role...year after , well we lost some core players who just got too old, but the plan is in place..rinse , wash, repeat

The attached link by Harrington of the Buffalo News very well captures my thoughts.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/02/10/buffalo-sabres-nhl-jack-eichel-winnipeg-jets-blake-wheeler/

I only watched the first period. So I can't talk about what I observed after that period other than what was gathered from reports.  In that period I thought the Sabres played a Cup Contending team evenly or maybe slightly outplayed them. In the end they lost a closely contested game. That's certainly disappointing but it's not something that should stoke a depression or a spasmodic fit of rage. 

Hockey reporters like  Mike Harrington and Paul Hamilton have posed the hypothetical question that if before the season started and you were told that the Sabres would be contending for a wildcard playoff up to the end of the season would you consider that acceptable? Many of us would say yes and gladly accept this team getting better and moving up the ranks. Obviously, not everyone would accept that proposition, certainly not you and K-9. 

You and the angry others want this team to fire its coach and make deals to catapult this team upwards. Putting aside the coaching issue what deals would you propose that could alter our status this year? You don't think our GM, like every GM, isn't willing to make a deal if it would improve the team as long as it didn't hurt its future prospects? 

It seems that after every tormenting loss you become a raging bull that wants to cut loose and horn someone into a bloody battering. You desperately want this team to be better than the talent level of its current roster. It's not going to happen because this is the real world and not your fantasy world. 

I implore you to let the season play out before you go full bat shiiit crazy because of your unrealized grandiose expectations. As I see this season unfolding it is well within what I expected. So I'm reasonably satisfied. Your expectations have been demolished because they went beyond what they should have. That's the problem: It's you!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think we all have some PTSD from the Bills and Sabre’s the last 50 years.  I understand why some are so frustrated.  And every year I have hope for Buffalo, and then another year of mediocrity.  The attrition takes it toll.  That being said- call me a sucker- I am still optimistic for both the sabres and Bills.  Both are young, exciting, and up and coming.  The Bills have been playing decent, with not much talent.  Well last year beane added over a half dozen talented players with the draft and FA.  10 picks and $80 in cap.  

The Sabres have 3 potential superstars with Skinner, Jack, and Dahlin.  Sam is pretty solid too.  Mittelstadt, Erod, Pilut, CJ -  that is a great young core.  3 first rounders, Rochester playing great hockey, the future is bright for Bills and Sabres!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think we all have some PTSD from the Bills and Sabre’s the last 50 years.  I understand why some are so frustrated.  And every year I have hope for Buffalo, and then another year of mediocrity.  The attrition takes it toll.  That being said- call me a sucker- I am still optimistic for both the sabres and Bills.  Both are young, exciting, and up and coming.  The Bills have been playing decent, with not much talent.  Well last year beane added over a half dozen talented players with the draft and FA.  10 picks and $80 in cap.  

The Sabres have 3 potential superstars with Skinner, Jack, and Dahlin.  Sam is pretty solid too.  Mittelstadt, Erod, Pilut, CJ -  that is a great young core.  3 first rounders, Rochester playing great hockey, the future is bright for Bills and Sabres!

Plezmd hates you! Watch your back. If he gets the chance he will shank you. Your positive attitude based on a longer perspective will not be tolerated in a room full of despair. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Plezmd hates you! Watch your back. If he gets the chance he will shank you. Your positive attitude based on a longer perspective will not be tolerated in a room full of despair. :ph34r:

I don't hate anybody, I  hate the acceptance that Buffalo teams have to suck. It's something that seems to have crept into the collective psyche of the Buffalo fan base. Maybe I, and others like me that advocated hard for the tank, have to bear some of the responsibility. 

Sabres did play okay yesterday..but we base it off how awful they played the preceding 2 months. And i think just the opposite fo being negative on t he team and players, I thnk the players are capable of competing, its the coach who is not!

And BTW, 26 might need to catch his breath here..his mistakes really seem to be growing...not quite sure what the right course of action is..reduced minutes???

Did anybody see how Nelson did this week? Strange as it sounds, I think we get better when he gets back

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I don't hate anybody, I  hate the acceptance that Buffalo teams have to suck. It's something that seems to have crept into the collective psyche of the Buffalo fan base. Maybe I, and others like me that advocated hard for the tank, have to bear some of the responsibility. 

Sabres did play okay yesterday..but we base it off how awful they played the preceding 2 months. And i think just the opposite fo being negative on t he team and players, I thnk the players are capable of competing, its the coach who is not!

And BTW, 26 might need to catch his breath here..his mistakes really seem to be growing...not quite sure what the right course of action is..reduced minutes???

Did anybody see how Nelson did this week? Strange as it sounds, I think we get better when he gets back

Agree. We really need that RHD back there. There were several times in the game yesterday when having a LHD on the right was a disadvantage in the offensive zone. It just takes too long for him to get the puck on his forehand to make a better play or to shoot the puck towards the net. 

The rest of the debate is futile. When Housley has a team of all stars people will finally be able to tell me why he’s a good coach. In the mean time, I’m not confusing effort with results. 

And Harrington and Hamilton are full of crap, imo. The Sabres have SQUANDERED a prime playoff position and I’m supposed to take solace in how far they’ve fallen because they aren’t mathematically eliminated yet? I’m supposed to be encouraged after this historic fall? Why, because they’ve been pathetic for so long that even though we gave it all back, we are STILL better than last year at this time?

Pardon me if I can’t accept that particular brand of loser mentality. 

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Somehow missed this earlier. I would not be opposed to Dahlin spending a game or two in the box. Two big mistakes yesterday directly led to the Jets' first two goals. 

My only concern with sitting him is he wouldn't be on the ice to make the handful of sublime little plays he makes every game. He drives play and we just don't have enough of those guys to spare. Maybe we are just going to have to live with his mistakes. I'd feel the same way about Scandella if he was worth a damn to our offensive output. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Shouldn't he also have stopped the puck from getting out of the zone on the third open net goal?  (Or maybe I have my plays and games confused)

It’s not a great season when you’re getting empty net goals against mixed up. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Unless the talented Swede is hurt or fatigued he should continue to play. Rookies are going to make their share of mistakes. That's part of the learning process. Sometimes when he is struggling in a game some minutes can be distributed to other blueliners. But I wouldn't sit him.

Your belief that there is  an acceptance that the Buffalo teams have to suck is ridiculous. Where the heck is that foolishness coming from? Against Winnipeg the Sabres played a cup contending team evenly. The hard fought game had a playoff feel to it. We lost. As a measuring stick game it demonstrated that this team is not far from being a very competitive team. We are not there yet but this team is progressing. You might not be able to see it because you are too invested in your negative position. But from what I have seen this team with a roster full of young players is coming along.

What I can comfortably say is that the Sabres are substantially ahead of the Bills in assembling a contending roster.  You are starting to act like a broken old man sitting at the end of the bar by yourself speaking to no one in particular lamenting how downtrodden you are because your team ain't what you want it to be. Please stop this maudlin act. Before you throw in the towel let the season play out. 

No surprises here. Same issues since the break. We need more talented players and can no longer recover from the careless errors in our own defensive zone. 

I kind of find it similar to last years bills’ defense. They kept falling into turnovers and an unsustainable rate. 

Heres to hoping JB makes a move to improve this roster NOW. I for one, am tired of hearing about the future that seems to never come. 

@K-9, the o my question is will @JohnC ever be able to recognize coaching blunders like the Sobitka article by Yost. 

When di do we start the trade Skinner debate. I think I am am almost there. Negoatiate a deal now, say 8 for $9 with a handshake deal that we gunna trade you, get a haul , and be better when you sign July 1 for 8 and $9.5. 

He gets an  extra $4m ( paid in signing bonus BTW), Sabres prolly get a decent 2C prospect and a # 1,,. Both sides win. 

28 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

@K-9, the o my question is will @JohnC ever be able to recognize coaching blunders like the Sobitka article by Yost. 

When di do we start the trade Skinner debate. I think I am am almost there. Negoatiate a deal now, say 8 for $9 with a handshake deal that we gunna trade you, get a haul , and be better when you sign July 1 for 8 and $9.5. 

He gets an  extra $4m ( paid in signing bonus BTW), Sabres prolly get a decent 2C prospect and a # 1,,. Both sides win. 

Wow! Your exotic mind is spinning out of control. If you really believe that a wink and a nod deal with Skinner is going to work bringing us an extra haul then my recommendation to you is to lower your LSD dosages. Think about how crazy and fanciful your surreptitious deal is. Do you honestly believe that a team would trade for Skinner without contractual assurances that he would remain with the team?

With respect to the highlighted segment I can assure you that you are not there but rather you are far out there! You are in plain view precipitously declining. Seek help. Don't run to K-9 for help because he is your enabler. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Wow! Your exotic mind is spinning out of control. If you really believe that a wink and a nod deal with Skinner is going to work bringing us an extra haul then my recommendation to you is to lower your LSD dosages. Think about how crazy and fanciful your surreptitious deal is. Do you honestly believe that a team would trade for Skinner without contractual assurances that he would remain with the team?

With respect to the highlighted segment I can assure you that you are not there but rather you are far out there! You are in plain view precipitously declining. Seek help. Don't run to K-9 for help because he is your enabler. 

#1) Defend your boy Housley on his utilization of a forward who has not scored in 35 games..most minutes on team outside top 3.

2) If Skinner ain't signing before the trade deadline, damn well better get something for him. 

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

#1) Defend your boy Housley on his utilization of a forward who has not scored in 35 games..most minutes on team outside top 3.

2) If Skinner ain't signing before the trade deadline, damn well better get something for him. 

Every thing I have heard is that contract discussions are underway and progressing. 

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why do you think the term “rental” is tossed around so much in discussions involved in hockey trades? Teams trade for pending free agent players all the time without assurances from those players that they’ll remain with their new teams. 

To answer your question as to what team would be willing to trade for Skinner, that would be any team that thinks obtaining a left wing who is also the second leading goal scorer in the league might be the difference in making a serious cup run in the playoffs. I submit that list of teams is not a short one.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Why do you think the term “rental” is tossed around so much in discussions involved in hockey trades? Teams trade for pending free agent players all the time without assurances from those players that they’ll remain with their new teams. 

To answer your question as to what team would be willing to trade for Skinner, that would be any team that thinks obtaining a left wing who is also the second leading goal scorer in the league might be the difference in making a serious cup run in the playoffs. I submit that list of teams is not a short one.

See my response to Plezmd. 

38 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Does Skinner still have a no movement clause? I think that may complicate potential trades if he does. I was glad he had a no trade clause with Carolina because they would have traded him to the Kings last summer instead of us. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

See my response to Plezmd. 

I did, which is why I asked the question.

EDIT: I think you mean your last response to Plenz? I’m glad they are negotiating with Skinner, but that doesn’t preclude a potential trade of him. 

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

This Sam and Diane thing you guys have going on right now is getting to be a bit strange.  I'll let you two figure out which one you are.

More like a Cliff and Norm thing. I’ll leave it up to you to figure out who is wearing the milk bone underwear.

Edited by K-9

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

This Sam and Diane thing you guys have going on right now is getting to be a bit strange.  I'll let you two figure out which one you are.

agreed and heard..

BTW, maybe Malkin gets 5? Has it been announced if in person or not? My quick search just found "hearing"