Robert Foster & Tremaine Edmunds earn ESPN All Rookie Team honorable mention.

CEN-CAL17

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

22 positions get picked. Bills used multiple picks to take two players in the top 15. How many other teams with two top 20 picks landed zero on the all rookie team? 

Wayyyy to early to even have this discussion. Certain guys need 2-3 years to reach their potential. Milano for example was a 5th rounder. He'd be a 1st rounder in a re draft of 2017.

I think. 2-3 years from now Allen, Edmunds,Foster, Wallace and Taron would all be 1st rounders in a re draft..

On 2/23/2019 at 7:46 PM, John from Riverside said:

We wont get all the good players.....as long as we keep hitting on drafted players though we will be fine......

Edmunds has not even come close to reaching his potential

The older I get and more I watch football, you realize how much the word potential gets thrown around and 5 years later you are stuck paying for a player that started average and stayed average.

I'll give a good example. Aaron Williams. He started a fine player, pretty much stayed a fine player, and finished his career as a fine player. Every year we heard he was going to take the next step but it was really him settling into his role. Similar to Shaq Lawson. He isn't really any better, he just knows his role and fits it well. 

This was a strong MLB draft and so far Edmunds is in the back of the line with regards to the other starting rookies.

Edited by Elite Poster

On 2/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, Logic said:

I have seen MANY comments to the effect that Foster is "only" a speed receiver and therefore not a "true #1" from Bills fans and writers. 

As for exaggerating the 2018 season: I would argue that it's not at all an exaggeration to be excited about the #1 potential of a guy who -- despite going undrafted and spending half the season on the practice squad --  managed to post 521 yards and 3 TDs across 7 games (including games of 105, 94, 104, and 108 yards receiving). That's pretty excellent production from ANY rookie receiver, let alone one from whom so little was expected that he wasn't even drafted.

As for not sneaking up on opposing defenses anymore: defenses were ALREADY playing corners much deeper against Foster at the end of the season and recognizing the damage he could do. What happened then? Foster became dangerous on curls and crossers against defenders that were giving him a lot of cushion. It also opened up the field for players like Zay Jones and Ian McKenzie to be more productive underneath.

I understand cautious optimism, and I'm not here to proclaim that Foster is a surefire top 5 WR next season. I will not, however, curb my enthusiasm about a player who I view as a vital and exciting piece of the Bills offense for the next several years. Let's put it this way: If the Bills were to draft a receiver in the first round of this year's draft who was 6 foot 2 and had Foster's speed, and said WR went on to post Foster's numbers over the final 7 games, we'd all be thrilled. So why wouldn't I be even MORE thrilled that we got that production out of a guy who cost the Bills absolutely nothing in draft capital?

Especially since we gave 2 first for the last guy that had a stretch like that.

On 2/24/2019 at 7:48 PM, Elite Poster said:

The older I get and more I watch football, you realize how much the word potential gets thrown around and 5 years later you are stuck paying for a player that started average and stayed average.

I'll give a good example. Aaron Williams. He started a fine player, pretty much stayed a fine player, and finished his career as a fine player. Every year we heard he was going to take the next step but it was really him settling into his role. Similar to Shaq Lawson. He isn't really any better, he just knows his role and fits it well. 

This was a strong MLB draft and so far Edmunds is in the back of the line with regards to the other starting rookies.

Actually Edmonds play was better than average and Williams was turning into a very good safety before injuries derailed his career.  He was a CB turned safety which took a little time to transition.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Wayyyy to early to even have this discussion. Certain guys need 2-3 years to reach their potential. Milano for example was a 5th rounder. He'd be a 1st rounder in a re draft of 2017.

I think. 2-3 years from now Allen, Edmunds,Foster, Wallace and Taron would all be 1st rounders in a re draft..

I hope that they will all be All-Pros given that redrafts do little for winning games.?

13 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I hope that they will all be All-Pros given that redrafts do little for winning games.?

Yeah of course lol. I doubt all 5 turn into All Pros but you can't deny we have a seriously talented young core from the last 2 drafts. This is how you build long term , consistent winning programs in the NFL. Another good-great draft and good FA aquisition , we're going to be a Big Dog in the AFC for quite some time

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Yeah of course lol. I doubt all 5 turn into All Pros but you can't deny we have a seriously talented young core from the last 2 drafts. This is how you build long term , consistent winning programs in the NFL. Another good-great draft and good FA aquisition , we're going to be a Big Dog in the AFC for quite some time

I hope so.  I do know that this FO and coaching staff work well together and I believe the communication is there from Ownership all the way down to the janiter.  Thats the biggest difference I see.  They seem to be able to motivate and develope players as well and hopefully the training staff does a better job.

Weve had good players and decent teams, weve also had poor coaching, poor player developement, infighting and an owner who probably ment well but should have let the people he hired do their jobs and stayed out of it.

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I hope so.  I do know that this FO and coaching staff work well together and I believe the communication is there from Ownership all the way down to the janiter.  Thats the biggest difference I see.  They seem to be able to motivate and develope players as well and hopefully the training staff does a better job.

Weve had good players and decent teams, weve also had poor coaching, poor player developement, infighting and an owner who probably ment well but should have let the people he hired do their jobs and stayed out of it.

It's only year 3 of a complete rebuild. There's 5 , FIVE pre McDermott players on this roster! That's a COMPLETE roster overhaul, and we stayed competitive doing it!! Which Beane doesn't get enough credit for..

This off season McBeane really get to put their stamp on this roster. I believe they have the same formula for success and work very well together. We're flooded with young talent. 2019 we might fall short of a SB , but it's the year where we take a ***** in the middle of the AFC EAST and let them know whose yard it is and show the league we're going to be contending for quite some time

9 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I hope so.  I do know that this FO and coaching staff work well together and I believe the communication is there from Ownership all the way down to the janiter.  

I do not want communication to janitor. It was supposedly how some leaks were occurring out of TBD but then Leroi was canned and they stopped.

22 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Especially since we gave 2 first for the last guy that had a stretch like that.

Actually Edmonds lay was better than average and Williams was turning into a very good safety before injuries derailed his career.  He was a CB turned safety which took a little time to transition.

I agree i think Edmunds had a better rookie season then people are giving him credit for and he has the most upside then all the other middle LBers in his draft class. Just look at the last game of the year vs Miami and the same goes for Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2019 at 9:20 AM, Logic said:

I second this notion. I keep seeing people talk about how Foster will be a good WR2 or a "role player". What?!  Am I taking crazy pills?! 

If you use his average receiving yards per week once he came up from the practice squad to project a full season, it's something like 1,400 yards and 7 TDs. In what universe is that not a number 1 receiver?

And to anyone who says "speed WRs can't be true number 1 receivers", tell that to Antonio Brown and Tyreek Hill.

Robert Foster is 6'2" and runs like a gazelle. If he simply adds a bit of muscle in the offseason and adds a few more routes to his already-expanding route tree, he's a number 1 receiver. Now, I ALSO want the Bills to go out and draft another number 1 caliber guy, don't get me wrong. But Foster is more than a complementary piece or just a speed receiver.

And let’s not forget, Foster put up those numbers in a passing offense that probably hadn’t produced even a single 100-yard receiving game since Watkins was shipped out.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/24/2019 at 12:52 AM, John from Riverside said:

And by "continuing to master his craft" I hope that means making contested catches......the guy makes big plays when he is wide open....but does not fight for contested balls or catch balls when he is covered.....

but he gets open and he makes big plays....that is a start

Im not sure how many opportunities he had to do so but I know I saw at least one contested catch.  I think most of the time it isnt necessary because hes exstremely fast and a much better route runner than given credit for.  He does a good job utilizing the DBs fear of his speed as well.

On 2/24/2019 at 7:48 PM, Elite Poster said:

I disagree with that assessment.  If the only thing you look at is total tackles then it would look that way.  The only One that was better was Darius Leonard IMO.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think your taking a risk by counting on Foster as your #1 receiver.

He showed great improvement since being put on the practice squad, but I think the Bills need a veteran guy who's been doing it for years in case Foster flames out.

I agree with this and I am the biggest homer here

Put a quality receiver on the other side of him.......take the pressure off him......let him shine...if he ends up being our number 1 that will shake out in the end

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Im not sure how many opportunities he had to do so but I know I saw at least one contested catch.  I think most of the time it isnt necessary because hes exstremely fast and a much better route runner than given credit for.  He does a good job utilizing the DBs fear of his speed as well.

Yup.  He's not a "chuck it up and expect him to come down with it" WR, although I think he could be one.  The guy looks to have all the tools.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He showed great improvement since being put on the practice squad, but I think the Bills need a veteran guy who's been doing it for years in case Foster flames out.

I don't think the Bills are counting on Foster to be their #1 WR, but we'll see in FA/the draft.  They may think he is and Williams can be #2, and want to focus on the OL.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree, actually. While I DO think Foster has #1 potential, I still want the Bills to add a veteran and a highly drafted rookie to the room.