Cut McCoy, Sign Bell (edited from McCoy out 6.4M cap)

RPbillsfan

On 12/26/2018 at 10:55 AM, Dr. Who said:

I think if you improve the line, Shady still has value, especially if you don't ask him to be the main back. At minimum, I don't see why he couldn't be a good 3rd down back who can catch out of the backfield, etc. No rb would have success behind our current oline. Clay looks beat up and played out to me. TE ought to be a reliable safety valve for a young qb, so I hope draft and free agency is used to upgrade the position.

True on Shady.  I said in another thread that he would still do well behind a better line.  People tried to say AP was done.  I just think Clay needs a change.  

McCoy has 0 value.  I've been saying this all year.  I don't know why our fan base thinks any different?  I think the best the organization could hope for is a conditional 5th or 6th round pick.  He's paid as an elite talent, and he's nowhere near that anymore.  The time has come where the burden of his attitude and ego do not out weigh his talent.  He's just not aware of it yet.  Contrary to what a number of people think he's not a good "locker room" guy.  On a crap team where he's the alpha, he can fake it.  He's not a character high talent individual you want the younger players on the roster to emulate.  Cut the loss and bid him farewell.  

Draft a high production SEC or Big Ten RB in the 2-4 rd, and bring in some UDFAs that had bad luck their senior year like Adams and Clement W/the Eagles.  Hopefully hit on one of these lotto tickets.  In addition sign Yeldon or Coleman as FA and see if they can get some traction that way.  

Edited by YodaMan79

50 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I would try to trade McCoy as opposed to  cutting him.  I still think we can get a fifth for him.  I believe I would give 15 a year to Bell but I think he turned down more than that from Pittsburgh.

....a 5th?.....thinkin' Jack Daniels?........slightly less than $6+ mil........and Bell is insane money.....wants to play for the Colts and Irsay could bite.....just catch him buzzed...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....a 5th?.....thinkin' Jack Daniels?........slightly less than $6+ mil........and Bell is insane money.....wants to play for the Colts and Irsay could bite.....just catch him buzzed...

Ironicly I had thought about whiskey as well but a 5th isnt unthinkable.  Did I say he would sign here, or did I say I would be willing to pay him 15 mil a year?  Which I really have no say in the matter.

If I dont get a big time featured back I wouldnt trade Shady.  I think he isnt what he used to be but would still play better than average behind a better line.  Much like AP.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Ironicly I had thought about whiskey as well but a 5th isnt unthinkable.  Did I say he would sign here, or did I say I would be willing to pay him 15 mil a year?  Which I really have no say in the matter.

...nope and  never implied that if you're talking Bell......so let's get to Shady...would you keep him at $6+ mil, probably knowing he won't be a feature back or attempt a restructure, spreading the tariff over 2 years but front end loaded with a bonus?....you're in the GM "hot seat".....:thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...nope and  never implied that if you're talking Bell......so let's get to Shady...would you keep him at $6+ mil, probably knowing he won't be a feature back or attempt a restructure, spreading the tariff over 2 years but front end loaded with a bonus?....you're in the GM "hot seat".....:thumbsup:

6 mil isnt an awful lot for a back that would get 1000 behind a good line.  He also already earned that money in my opinion.  If you dont show your players appreciation when you can afford it they you may find it the difference between getting a free agent and not.  Like the Yankees making sure it got out that they gave CC his bonus even though he didnt hit his innings count.  If you dont think players pay attention to it you would be mistaken.  Players understand the business side of the CAP as well as a team just weasling out of a contract.  Shady isnt lazy.  He just isnt as shifty as he was.  He is still fast though.

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

6 mil isnt an awful lot for a back that would get 1000 behind a good line.  He also already earned that money in my opinion.  If you dont show your players appreciation when you can afford it they you may find it the difference between getting a free agent and not.  Like the Yankees making sure it got out that they gave CC his bonus even though he didnt hit his innings count.  If you dont think players pay attention to it you would be mistaken.  Players understand the business side of the CAP as well as a team just weasling out of a contract.  Shady isnt lazy.  He just isnt as shifty as he was.  He is still fast though.

...a difficult call IMO.....is it SOLELY and WOEFULLY the OL which has been sad?......can the OL be fixed via 2019 draft and FA whereby he can somewhat return to form at $6+ mil?....you look at Peterson at age 33 signing with Deadskins for vet minimum ($1.015 mil) and already having 1,042 yards?.......sure glad it is  NOT my call.....your thoughts?....

14 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He's had hammy problems for the past 2-3 years.  That's likely to continue or get worse.  Time to move one. 

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...a difficult call IMO.....is it SOLELY and WOEFULLY the OL which has been sad?......can the OL be fixed via 2019 draft and FA whereby he can somewhat return to form at $6+ mil?....you look at Peterson at age 33 signing with Deadskins for vet minimum ($1.015 mil) and already having 1,042 yards?.......sure glad it is  NOT my call.....your thoughts?....

McCoy had one of the gastest TDs in week 10 at 20.33 MPH.  So he is still very fast.  So I think if the Oline can actually open holes he can still hit the HR.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:51 AM, dayman said:

Wait for the press to calm down and sign K. Hunt for pennies on the dollar. 

On 12/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, Gunsgoodtime said:

I'm good with this

Someone will eventually give him a second chance but it won't be the Bills. No way this "we value high character" front office touches him with a ten foot pole, no matter how cheaply he might come.

They also won't shell out the kind of scratch that Bell will demand.

Nothing to see here on either front. Time to move along.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:42 PM, NewDayBills said:

Yeah but Coleman can catch. Yeldon can catch too. Both can get you 1k on the ground, Coleman has done so before.

I like Coleman much more.. at least he's done something to merit competition and split carries with Freeman. Yeldon was a high 1st that was quickly phased out with Fournette drafted (to be the bellcow) like.. 2 years later. They obviously didn't like what they saw in practice whereas the Falcons must have saw a ton in Coleman to merit taking touches away from Freeman after the monster seasons he was having.

I like Bell most of all if it's short term. I don't see what we'll do if we don't spend a ton on FAs.. certainly don't want it sitting doing nothing so long as we don't tie up contracts too long that preclude us from re-signing White, Poyer, Hyde, Milano.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

On 12/23/2018 at 10:33 PM, SCBills said:

Yes to cutting Shady. 

No to giving stupid money to another RB. 

Bell's running style would be a disaster behind our offensive line. He depends on the line not just maintaining their blocks but to create lanes as well. He would be great coming out of the backfield aiding the passing attack, but McCoy wasn't used well in this role this year by a long shot so I don't see Dabol using Bell well in this regard as well. 

Edited by Spiderweb

....yup...the Steelers "insulted" Bell with their offer just like the NBA Timberwolves "insulted" Latrell Spreewell with their offer......Latrell "I Got A Family To Feed" Spreewell went belly up and Bell could be next.....in the immortal words of Ron White....you know the rest...............

4 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I like Coleman much more.. at least he's done something to merit competition and split carries with Freeman. Yeldon was a high 1st that was quickly phased out with Fournette drafted (to be the bellcow) like.. 2 years later. They obviously didn't like what they saw in practice whereas the Falcons must have saw a ton in Coleman to merit taking touches away from Freeman after the monster seasons he was having.

I like Bell most of all if it's short term. I don't see what we'll do if we don't spend a ton on FAs.. certainly don't want it sitting doing nothing so long as we don't tie up contracts too long that preclude us from re-signing White, Poyer, Hyde, Milano.

Yeldon wasn’t a 1st round pick.