Updated Allen Scouting Report

Buffalo716

1 minute ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Do you not want to see the young man try to make a play? I understand that none of want to see him injured, but I didn't see Brett Favre throwing balls away very often and it turned out pretty well for him career AND longeivity wise.Maybe it's just me, but I like a gunslinger mentality.

Gunslinger mentality is fine.. And making a play is fine.

ITS TIME AND PLACE.

Situation: 3rd and 16 . Bills 22 yard line. Bills 14-10. 12 minutes left 4th quarter 

Josh gets pushed out and scrambles right. Buying time he realizes nobody is open ... throw it away? Or force into double coverage?

you throw it away every time... he has to learn time and place. Trying to do too much sometimes can lead to bad results 

It’s something he will learn with time

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gunslinger mentality is fine.. And making a play is fine.

ITS TIME AND PLACE.

Situation: 3rd and 16 . Bills 22 yard line. Bills 14-10. 12 minutes left 4th quarter 

Josh gets pushed out and scrambles right. Buying time he realizes nobody is open ... throw it away? Or force into double coverage?

you throw it away every time... he has to learn time and place. Trying to do too much sometimes can lead to bad results 

It’s something he will learn with time

Got it and don't disagree. I think we can agree that he's a very young kid who'll get better at this over time. Certainly nothing I'm worried about.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

I have waited so long for a Buffalo Bills QB who wants to be a hero on every play -- since '96, to be exact.  This is long overdue.

Again throwing it into double coverage off Your back foot is not smart hero ball... it’s something that can be worked on

people act like I said , don’t make plays lol

throwing into double coverage while scrambling off your back foot is The very definition of not smart hero ball 

throw that ball away 

1 minute ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Got it and don't disagree. I think we can agree that he's a very young kid who'll get better at this over time. Certainly nothing I'm worried about.

He has completely surpassed my expectations. I thinks he will be a stud 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again throwing it into double coverage off Your back foot is not smart hero ball... it’s something that can be worked on

people act like I said , don’t make plays lol

throwing into double coverage while scrambling off your back foot is The very definition of not smart hero ball 

throw that ball away 

I know.  Of course he will learn not to make the bonehead mistakes.  I simply love the aggressiveness and refusal to give up.

19 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Trying to make a big play when it just isn't there - forcing a pass into coverage when nobody is open.

The hero ball QB does this because he has absolute faith that his skills are always superior. That’s the definition of hero ball and it can be a hard lesson to learn at the pro level because typically these QBs were always better than their competition. Not so much in the NFL.

The way I look at it is that you can't teach a QB to WANT to play Hero Ball and you can't teach a QB to WANT to be a gunslinger.  Those seem like innate skill sets.  However, you can teach a QB to temper both of those attributes.  Seems to me on this subject Allen has EXACTLY what you want in a QB. 

5 hours ago, colin said:

FavrElway in the making.

i should make a list of the naysayers and hunt them down like a message board terminator 

Josh Allen is a upstanding citizen who happens to have a howitzer for an arm and excellent mobility and I'm extremely proud he's in a Buffalo uniform. I don't buy much merchandise but I've ordered quite a bit for Christmas. I don't do jerseys but there's a treasure trove of memorabilia available. I ordered some items which are somewhat spoofy but I know the youngsters will love them.

Edited by BillsSB2020

21 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The way I look at it is that you can't teach a QB to WANT to play Hero Ball and you can't teach a QB to WANT to be a gunslinger.  Those seem like innate skill sets.  However, you can teach a QB to temper both of those attributes.  Seems to me on this subject Allen has EXACTLY what you want in a QB. 

It's in his DNA to be that way.  Receivers will need to know that's the way it is.

They may have to learn a little DB to minimize the negative effects.  LOL

It will be a must to learn to come back to the ball when JA scrambles.