An interesting document on the Niagara River

Greybeard

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

Yes, you do.

Here is a screenshot of WNY map.  That's Chestnut Ridge Park.  NF and Roch are same distance "out" in the depth of field.  Rochester just at extreme angle to east.  I am hell bent on determing what those buildings I saw almost on horizon to far right, extreme east were!

There is nothing out there to east!  Batavia is too close and has no big buildings!  If NF is faint, so is Rochester!  Remember Downtown Rochester doesn't sit right on Lake...  Little bit south on Genesee River.

Screenshot_20181213-011015.jpg

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That "rock ledge" is the Onondaga Escarpment/formation.  It's what you see along Main Street and as you head/drive  into Buffalo along The 33, Kensington Expressway:

400px-The_Onondaga_Formation.png

You can see how it impounds Lake Erie @ its mouth.

The next drop is the doosy.  The Niagara Escarpment:

silurian_outcrops_and_niagara_escarpment

220px-Niagara_Escarpment_map.png

http://geo.msu.edu/extra/geogmich/niagara.html

You can see how that formation impounds the Middle Lakes.

Final formation is in the Boston Hills of WNY. Impounds the American shore of L.Erie.  The Portage Escarpment:

220px-Portage_escarpment.jpg

@Cripple Creek  Doing my best to decipher @ExiledInIllinois's ramblings but you can see hidden references to "carp" in his Wikipedia copy/pastes.  It's almost like he's proud of the fact that he let all those buggers through on his watch. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

@Cripple Creek  Doing my best to decipher @ExiledInIllinois's ramblings but you can see hidden references to "carp" in his Wikipedia copy/pastes.  It's almost like he's proud of the fact that he let all those buggers through on his watch. 

Subliminal messages!

Counsel, you are too smart to fall for the game!  

/smh...

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Why, no I wasn’t aware of that. Perhaps someone here can fill in the details.

Is there anyone who frequents twobillsdrive.com who may have intimate knowledge of this?

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Preferably someone with a background in water flow, geology and the intricacies of GOING AGAINST GOD'S WILL BY controlling the natural path of rivers and streams. 

Fixed this.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Is there anyone who frequents twobillsdrive.com who may have intimate knowledge of this?

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Preferably someone with a background in water flow, geology and the intricacies of controlling the natural path of rivers and streams. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Fixed this.

Buuuut... It is God's will AND natural path of the rivers and streams. Just making sure God's will is served.  Just making it the way God intended.

...From 14,000, 9,000 & 4,000 years ago:

Glacial_lakes.jpg

42 minutes ago, The Senator said:

The Falls is just an active spillway on a dam.  The esCARPment is the dam.  They probably could brick the whole Falls off.  Make a higher emergency spillway in case Lake Erie ever got too high (which it wouldn't if they put a control structure at Detroit). Then divert all the water on both sides through the power culverts.  Use every last drop for power production.

LoL... Probably why NF State Park was one of the first State Parks.  The above I explained was the very real prospect 100+ years ago.  Use every drop for power, screw aesthetics and tourism.

Thank God we had conservationists way back...

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The Falls is just an active spillway on a dam.  The esCARPment is the dam.  They probably could brick the whole Falls off.  Make a higher emergency spillway in case Lake Erie ever got too high (which it wouldn't if they put a control structure at Detroit). Then divert all the water on both sides through the power culverts.  Use every last drop for power production.

LoL... Probably why NF State Park was one of the first State Parks.  The above I explained was the very real prospect 100+ years ago.  Use every drop for power, screw aesthetics and tourism.

Thank God we had conservationists way back...

And you and your beaurocratic buddies derailed all the good work by conservationists. So sad. Concrete walls? Steel damns? Electrical wire? Sewage? I’m disappointed. 

29 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

And you and your beaurocratic buddies derailed all the good work by conservationists. So sad. Concrete walls? Steel damns? Electrical wire? Sewage? I’m disappointed. 

Um, I think you totally misread Exiled ‘s post.  It was entirely pro-conservation, and anti ‘exploit the Falls’ for power production.

BTW, the Corps did what they did in 1969 to try to slow erosion and SAVE the Falls. Eventually, the esCARPment will be in Tonawanda.

Please re-read his post.

Edited by The Senator
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Being a science fiction aficionado, I always thought being able to travel forward in time would be the ultimate trip, seeing what humans could do to progress in 100, 500, 1000 years from now.  Once my daughter took a university level course in geology at college, going back to see Western New York and the Niagara Peninsula 1000, 5000, 20000 years ago is now as interesting a conjecture as going forward.  The text for that class cites many local landmarks and geographic features that we rarely give second glance.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

32 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Um, I think you totally misread Exiled ‘s post.  It was entirely pro-conservation, and anti ‘exploit the Falls’ for power production.

BTW, the Corps did what they did in 1969 to try to slow erosion and SAVE the Falls. Eventually, the esCARPment will be in Tonawanda.

Please re-read his post.

That’s the problem with message boards...no one knows when someone is busting another person’s chops just to have fun. Exiled knows I am...and now you do as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Hey Buddy... You enjoy your big screen TV and air conditioning now.  How about that drive to work too:

"...Uncle Sam took up the challenge in the year of Thirty three
For the farmer and the factory and all of you and me
He said, "Roll along Columbia. You can ramble to the sea
But river while you're ramblin' you can do some work for me"

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

That’s the problem with message boards...no one knows when someone is busting another person’s chops just to have fun. Exiled knows I am...and now you do as well. 

Yes!  That's the beauty too. Through the sarcasm, busting chops, etc... A lot of productivity... Lightheadedness, etc... Things can be learned.  You, Me, et al.

The beauty of being thick skinned and not living in a social media bubble!!!

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hey Buddy... You enjoy your big screen TV and air conditioning now.  How about that drive to work too:

"...Uncle Sam took up the challenge in the year of Thirty three
For the farmer and the factory and all of you and me
He said, "Roll along Columbia. You can ramble to the sea
But river while you're ramblin' you can do some work for me"

Don’t be quoting no CCR songs here on OTW

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Please re-read his post.

Like it!

Seriously... I do align politically left.  Yet, we are going off rails with the "pristine" environmental stuff!  We are just as arrogant as when we thought we could engineer all our problems away.

We need to move back towards classic conservationist thinking and away from being environmentalists.

I really latched on to the "Rambunctious Garden" school of thought.  It's a paradigm shift:

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Rambunctious_Garden.html?id=GWiISQAACAAJ&hl=en

"A paradigm shift is roiling the environmental world. For decades people have unquestioningly accepted the idea that our goal is to preserve nature in its pristine, pre-human state. But many scientists have come to see this as an outdated dream that thwarts bold new plans to save the environment and prevents us from having a fuller relationship with nature. Humans have changed the landscapes they inhabit since prehistory, and climate change means even the remotest places now bear the fingerprints of humanity. Emma Marris argues convincingly that it is time to look forward and create the "rambunctious garden," a hybrid of wild nature and human management.

In this optimistic book, readers meet leading scientists and environmentalists and visit imaginary Edens, designer ecosystems, and Pleistocene parks. Marris describes innovative conservation approaches, including rewilding, assisted migration, and the embrace of so-called novel ecosystems.

Rambunctious Garden is short on gloom and long on interesting theories and fascinating narratives, all of which bring home the idea that we must give up our romantic notions of pristine wilderness and replace them with the concept of a global, half-wild rambunctious garden planet, tended by us."