Sal Maiorana: The Five Questions the Bills Need to Answer in December

The Five Questions the Buffalo Bills Need to Answer in the Final Four Games

0TBeS01K?format=jpg&name=600x314

Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

The Bills are back in familiar territory this year, staring at another December not to remember, the team having taken the step backward that coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane warned was imminently possible back in the summer.

But while this is not where McDermott, Beane, the players, and certainly the fans want to be, this may someday end up being a December to remember if the Bills can use these last four games to build upon the foundation they are currently setting in place, the cornerstone of which is quarterback Josh Allen.

Meaning, this is an opportunity for the Bills to begin the process of figuring out if there are players already on the roster who they can count on for 2019, a season Beane and McDermott already have high hopes for given the 10 draft picks at their disposal, plus about $90 million in salary cap space to use on hole-filling free agents.

“Hopefully over these next four weeks we can get some of these young guys into games, not necessarily all of them, and you start to see what it feels like,” said Beane, adding that these four games are much more valuable in the evaluation process than any mini-camp, training camp or preseason setting.
“We can’t replicate live, in-season games,” Beane said.

“Yeah, the evaluation continues,” said McDermott. “As you’ve already seen us do the last couple of weeks as we’ve brought up young players, whether it be (ones) that were already active and we gave them opportunities to play and show us what they’ve got, or brought young players up from the practice squad to take a look. Call it an audition, call it an evaluation … a chance for us to continue to grow this football team and develop this football team.”

Here’s a list of what I’ll be watching closely in the final four weeks:

Can Josh Allen continue to ascend?
Is this the end for McCoy and Clay?
Which receivers will step up?
Is Levi Wallace a starting cornerback?
Is the offensive line salvageable?

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can Josh Allen continue to ascend?  Yes--whether he actually does or not, he's the guy for 2019
Is this the end for McCoy and Clay?  No and yes, respectively, but either way, young talent should be brought in to replace them
Which receivers will step up? They should approach 2019 as though none of them have
Is Levi Wallace a starting cornerback?  They should approach 2019 as though he isn't
Is the offensive line salvageable?  They should approach 2019 as though it isn't.
  • Like (+1) 6

Can Josh Allen continue to ascend?  He can and the Bills are counting on him, but he obviously needs a better supporting cast. 
Is this the end for McCoy and Clay?  No and Yes.
Which receivers will step up? I'll say Zay and Foster.
Is Levi Wallace a starting cornerback?  Possibly, but they may need to draft one early.
Is the offensive line salvageable? Dion Dawkins is the only guy who can be counted on.  The other guys should be upgraded.

Can Josh Allen continue to ascend? Yes

Is this the end for McCoy and Clay?  the end for McCoy as RB1, end for Clay with Bills
Which receivers will step up?  Zay will continue to ascend, Foster will step-up.  Not seeing anyone else really stepping up.  McCoy as WR?
Is Levi Wallace a starting cornerback?  Yes. 
Is the offensive line salvageable?  hahah.  No.  Dawkins is the only starting caliber player.  Teller might be.  Need to use all the other "starters" as backups next year, including Bodine. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Five Questions the Buffalo Bills Need to Answer in the Final Four Games

0TBeS01K?format=jpg&name=600x314

Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

The Bills are back in familiar territory this year, staring at another December not to remember, the team having taken the step backward that coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane warned was imminently possible back in the summer.

But while this is not where McDermott, Beane, the players, and certainly the fans want to be, this may someday end up being a December to remember if the Bills can use these last four games to build upon the foundation they are currently setting in place, the cornerstone of which is quarterback Josh Allen.

Meaning, this is an opportunity for the Bills to begin the process of figuring out if there are players already on the roster who they can count on for 2019, a season Beane and McDermott already have high hopes for given the 10 draft picks at their disposal, plus about $90 million in salary cap space to use on hole-filling free agents.

“Hopefully over these next four weeks we can get some of these young guys into games, not necessarily all of them, and you start to see what it feels like,” said Beane, adding that these four games are much more valuable in the evaluation process than any mini-camp, training camp or preseason setting.
“We can’t replicate live, in-season games,” Beane said.

“Yeah, the evaluation continues,” said McDermott. “As you’ve already seen us do the last couple of weeks as we’ve brought up young players, whether it be (ones) that were already active and we gave them opportunities to play and show us what they’ve got, or brought young players up from the practice squad to take a look. Call it an audition, call it an evaluation … a chance for us to continue to grow this football team and develop this football team.”

Here’s a list of what I’ll be watching closely in the final four weeks:

1) Yes he can with the right coaching

2) Clay, yes it should be. McCoy, No. There's still gas in the tank but our OL is running on fumes

3) Jones, Foster & McKenzie

4)  That remains to be seen

5) 2 of the 5 spots are, the right side needs help, and we need an upgraded Center

Edited by BmarvB

33 minutes ago, BmarvB said:
Can Josh Allen continue to ascend?  I think so, at the very least he needs to be given the chance in TC and next season as the starter
Is this the end for McCoy and Clay?  McCoy - no, but I'd like to see them line him up more in a flanker position and get him into space with the ball.  Clay, yes, done.
Which receivers will step up?  From what I've seen so far, only Zay has.  The rest still have more to prove; none of them has really stood out.
Is Levi Wallace a starting cornerback?  Hard to say, he hasn't faced the better QBs.  We'll see in a couple of weeks vs Brady.  Need to draft a CB fairly early.
Is the offensive line salvageable?  Keep Dawkins in hopes he continues to improve, as well as Teller where they are.  Replace C, RG, RT.  Also get another TE.

1) Max protect for him and let him throw, less complicated and hopefully can learn to stay in he pocket. I don't want Josh to develop bad habits due to crappy protection.

2) If so, get someone to replace them, Clay is likely because his lack of practice reps due to injury are affecting him

3) By dumping Holmes I assume they are trying to give Foster a chance at gunner to see if he can take hold of a roster spot for next year.

4) I don't know if you want to start him 16 games, but he can do the job for periods

5) Difficult to assess this and keep Allen healthy. Really only Teller has looked like he has a chance from our group of backups. I don't think Sirles earned more time on the field based on last week and the rest are behind him. Keep them on the bench and see if the TE's can block with max protect as I mentioned above. Hopefully we can hit on some lower round picks in the draft for better developmental players.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

Can Josh Allen continue to ascend? Yes, but his inaccuracy will prevent him from ever becoming elite. He'll be good, but not great.
Is this the end for McCoy and Clay? McCoy has had his last 1,000 yard season. He may not even be the #1 next year. Look for the Bills to draft a young power runner.
Which receivers will step up? None. Zay Jones will be an average NFL WR. Foster will be a #3 or #4.
Is Levi Wallace a starting cornerback? No. We'll either spend big on a replacement or use a high pick on one.
Is the offensive line salvageable? Dawkins is an average OT, but he's made no real progress since his rookie year. Teller might be a good one. We need 3 new starters at C, RT and RG. Miller might still be starting next year because we have so many other holes to fill. I'd still like to see us acquire a true LT and move Dawkins to RT.

9 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

This isn’t a question that needs to be answered THIS season, but it is something to follow...

Can JOSH ALLEN improve his,

%First Down, Pass on 3rd Down.

On a whim I looked it up...

Josh Allen is 18/60 for 30% putting him in dead last in the NFL.

I would like to see improvement on these 3rd down throws.

Maybe we should not be committing so many penalties on 3rd down that are negativing some impressive throws by Josh Allen on 3rd and long

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Can Josh Allen continue to ascend?  Yes--whether he actually does or not, he's the guy for 2019
Is this the end for McCoy and Clay?  No and yes, respectively, but either way, young talent should be brought in to replace them
Which receivers will step up? They should approach 2019 as though none of them have
Is Levi Wallace a starting cornerback?  They should approach 2019 as though he isn't
Is the offensive line salvageable?  They should approach 2019 as though it isn't.

Lot of approaching to be be done. that is with out question.

Allen is yes
Clay was done two years ago and the need something different from Croom who plays hybrid already. Charles did give the effort but was surely a broken toy coming from miami. we got fleeced in the bidding game
no reason not to work on the TE room in both FA and a solid scouring for trades and draft and UDFA.
WRs? need 2 solid ones if Zay continues on trend

Levi. what happened to Lewis again ?
O line needs top to bottom overhaul. let Daboll drive that to build his vision