Thanksgiving and the SJW

Chef Jim

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

No, not joking. I'm old enough to remember a time when stores being closed on Sunday was the norm, holidays were not even a question. And while I am sure Chef Jim is correct, many appreciate the chance to earn extra money, I would be willing to bet as many would prefer to be home with their families, but don't get to make that choice.

And if nobody was open on Thanksgiving, you could do the same business on Friday morning.

Jim, you really can't see the difference between Wal-Mart/Target etc and the emergency room of a hospital? I will assume you framed this as an SJW issue, to make some other point. But it doesn't really have anything to do with social justice. Its just decency.

But then Jed's toy shop would open first thing Friday, at 6am to beat the people who go to Jethro's toy shop and Ellie Mae's adult toy store.  So Granny's Super Toy world opens up at 5am because that hour makes a difference and people show up. Mr Drysdale outsmarts them all and opens up at midnight. He even hires an extra 3 seasonal workers to begin these crazy hours and people apply!  They make an extra $100 a week working 14 hours for a few weeks and can buy that extra large limited edition Skoal leather coat. That is... Until Miss Jane comes in there and protests with her women's lib group that it's just #mean to do this...

So Granny closes shop and goes back to the liquor trade.  Jed gets bamboozled with his earnings to buying the London bridge, Jethro ends up investing his store in to sponsoring his racing career, and Ellie starts doing meth.

Moral of the story: if you don't want Ellie may to do meth - open up early.

40 minutes ago, Buftex said:

There there baby, I know you work harder than anyone else...everyone else had the same opportunities as you, but they just chose to be lazy sacks of *****...

I don't know if anyone on this site has overcome their own misfortunes and misdoings more so than me to have hit a lower rock bottom and lower social class than I did - and here I am making over 65% of that of median income for my county. I busted my ass, I did the right thing as many times as I could and...and... Even then ... I still could ha w made better decisions to make even more but I haven't done as good as I could have at a few areas.

21 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Yes, they are open but usually reduced hours. Retailers make the call, as it should be. Who in your mind decides who makes keeping them open "off limits" if not the state?

When I said "off-limits" I wasn't implying there was some law making it illegal to do business on Thanksgiving or Christmas. They were "off-limits" only in the sense that it made no real sense for them to be open...employers saw the value of giving these days off to their employees, and they didn't try to fabricate some false need for their services on these two days. They aren't offering anything on Thanksgiving Day at 5pm that they couldn't offer at 6am the following morning.

26 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

But then Jed's toy shop would open first thing Friday, at 6am to beat the people who go to Jethro's toy shop and Ellie Mae's adult toy store.  So Granny's Super Toy world opens up at 5am because that hour makes a difference and people show up. Mr Drysdale outsmarts them all and opens up at midnight. He even hires an extra 3 seasonal workers to begin these crazy hours and people apply!  They make an extra $100 a week working 14 hours for a few weeks and can buy that extra large limited edition Skoal leather coat. That is... Until Miss Jane comes in there and protests with her women's lib group that it's just #mean to do this...

So Granny closes shop and goes back to the liquor trade.  Jed gets bamboozled with his earnings to buying the London bridge, Jethro ends up investing his store in to sponsoring his racing career, and Ellie starts doing meth.

Moral of the story: if you don't want Ellie may to do meth - open up early.

I don't know if anyone on this site has overcome their own misfortunes and misdoings more so than me to have hit a lower rock bottom and lower social class than I did - and here I am making over 65% of that of median income for my county. I busted my ass, I did the right thing as many times as I could and...and... Even then ... I still could ha w made better decisions to make even more but I haven't done as good as I could have at a few areas.

Sorry for your misfortunes boyst, and it is great that you overcame them...but everyone's circumstances are not the same. It is one thing for people to think it is fine for stores to be open on Thanksgiving, but a whole other thing to be casting judgement on the people working at them. I

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

When I said "off-limits" I wasn't implying there was some law making it illegal to do business on Thanksgiving or Christmas. They were "off-limits" only in the sense that it made no real sense for them to be open...employers saw the value of giving these days off to their employees, and they didn't try to fabricate some false need for their services on these two days. They aren't offering anything on Thanksgiving Day at 5pm that they couldn't offer at 6am the following morning.

I don't disagree with you but what has happened is that when one big box opens up they all do in order to maintain market share. Walmart for example moved their Black Friday sales to Thanksgiving Day. They're open in the AM but won't sell their big ticket items until late in the afternoon. They'll give you a ticket so you don't have to stand in line all day to get the item.

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

So you're advocating for discrimination against non-Christians, by refusing them the opportunity to shop at retail establishments on Christmas.

Not very woke of you.

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

It comes back to the question, "Should so many of our people be THAT desperate for a few extra dollars?"

Why should it come back to that question? It makes no sense. The questions has always been "Who wants to earn extra cash today? or "Who wants to save a few bucks on a TV?"

It doesn't need to be anything other than a day ending with a "Y" to have people raise their hands for either. Sometimes...most of the times, in fact...it's just people who like either of those. I have an employee who can't wait to battle at Best Buy when it opens. I have friends whose would gladly earn double time to work Thanksgiving.

None of them are desperate. If you want to see desperate, drive through downtown LA this morning. That's desperate.

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

You all have probably seen this. SJW demanding retailers close on Thanksgiving to give their employees the day off with their families. Well if you don’t want to work holidays don’t go work in retail, hospitals or hospitality. And I imagine many of these workers are saying “STFU!!  I’m getting triple time today!”  

This is mostly a conservative/family “values” movement, isn’t it?

2 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Why should it come back to that question? It makes no sense. The questions has always been "Who wants to earn extra cash today? or "Who wants to save a few bucks on a TV?"

It doesn't need to be anything other than a day ending with a "Y" to have people raise their hands for either. Sometimes...most of the times, in fact...it's just people who like either of those. I have an employee who can't wait to battle at Best Buy when it opens. I have friends whose would gladly earn double time to work Thanksgiving.

None of them are desperate. If you want to see desperate, drive through downtown LA this morning. That's desperate.

I just don't see it as healthy. Or rather, it is a sign of a sick society. People running around like rabid animals for a few bucks off is simply sick. "Happily" working the holidays is just another symptom of a sick society. 

Or, perhaps the deals and the jobs are just that "good." Only the ignorant and daft believe that to be the case...

I mean, one doesn't have to be dead on Skid Row in LA to be in a bad place.

GregariousShockingArabianhorse-size_rest

Edited by Paulus

35 minutes ago, Thurmal34 said:

It always puzzles me when people looking to improve a current situation that has room for an upgrade are ridiculed.

It’s almost like “status quo or else” is a great idea and should never be challenged or something. ?

Who's looking to improve what situation again?  What the hell are you babbling about?

51 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Who's looking to improve what situation again?  What the hell are you babbling about?

Mocking the attacks on people seeing a flaw in a system and attempting to correct it is all. 

It’s almost like some people think we have achieved Utopia. 

Edited by Thurmal34

21 minutes ago, Thurmal34 said:

Mocking the attacks on people seeing a flaw in a system and attempting to correct it is all. 

It’s almost like some people think we have achieved Utopia. 

That doesn't answer my question.  That's just a restatement of the vague platitude that prompted my question.

Who is looking to improve what situation?

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Where did you get that idea?

Definitely a “spend more time with family” motivation initially was the pushback to stores being open. Now it’s morphed into “waah, we don’t want to work.”

I don’t really care though I respect the sentiment of the former, and if I ran a company that decided to stay open for some reason, would fire the later. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Definitely a “spend more time with family” motivation initially as pushback. Now it’s morphed into “waah, we don’t want to work.”

I don’t really care though I respect the sentiment of the former, and if I ran a company that decided to stay open for some reason, would fire the later. 

Not having to work on Thanksgiving gives us unmarried white guys with no kids more time to play Red Dead Redemption

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

That doesn't answer my question.  That's just a restatement of the vague platitude that prompted my question.

Who is looking to improve what situation?

Yeah probably. 

No one is looking to improve anything. Those that are, are rabble rousers. Accept the status quo and don’t ask questions!