Cover 1: The Bills Are Changing Their Approach to the WR Position

26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You asked for suggestions and I gave you one at a cheap price. He would have had a chance to play a lot here.

Yeah but my point is your suggestion is no better than taking Foster as a UDFA. Adding a speedy receiver was not their biggest priority in this particular offseason but they didn't completely ignore it. They had a bunch of holes to fill on both sides and they've been experimenting with different receivers all year. It's going to take one more offseason for the rebuild to be complete.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They could have drafted a guy like St. Brown for example. They undervalued speed. They realized it was a mistake and have tried to correct it. 

Yeah, they could've. But it's not like St. Brown's been terrific for Green Bay with Rodgers throwing to him. 162 yards. Is he significantly better than Foster?

You can't fill all your roster holes in one year.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LMFAO.  So what magical player would you have taken at 16 instead of Edmunds that saves our season and makes us a better team than taking Edmunds?

Hint:  There isn’t one.  You like to say blanket things that have no substance behind them like they should have gone offense at 16.  Yet there isn’t anyone that we could have taken there that would have changed our offense into a good offense.  Yet Edmunds has helped our defense get into the top 5 despite all the pressure the struggling offense puts on our D every week.

#FactsMatter

Facts matter. The teams with the top defenses this season are all around .500 or worse. The way the league is going you need a top offense to win games with an average defense. 

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Game? It's a snapshot comparison. Does it threaten you?

Yes it threatens them cause the Bills can do no wrong and trust the process. 

• Like (+1) 1

Whatever they have to do , do it. I'm not against big WRs but they just need to be good. There is a reason there are big WRs in the league and that is because they are hard to defend.

I actually want them in all sizes to have more variety. 

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

If by "a highly productive offence," you mean the 16th best offence in the league, then yeah, that's what they did. They caused it to drop quite a lot ... in a rebuild.

By the way, what did they do to the defence, which was ranked 19th that year? How's that going these days? You didn't mention that, for some reason.

Points = production

For instance........7th in the NFL in scoring with Tyrod under center in 2016.............AND the fewest turnovers thru 15 games by any team since the merger!

Beat that with any other Bills QB since 2000.

And they did with the defense what we expected be done by returning to a simplified 4-3 based D............improve it back near Schwartz level...........until, of course, they unwisely extracted Dareus when they were rolling along at 5-2 thru the toughest part of their schedule.......and THEN went thru the worst 3 game defensive performance in team history while simultaneously making an astoundingly stupid QB decision in LA.

McD drank too much of his own kool-aid and this season has been a humbler for he and Beane........FO SHO!

33 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Fact! Calvin Ridley for one could have been taken there.  You don't even know what's happening in the rookie class yet you make outlandish statements.  Both Vander Esch and Leonard are performing better than Edmunds at LB. Respect the Process!

Hahaha Ridley changes our season???  Why because he had 2 good weeks with a Pro Bowl QB and Julio opposite him?  Hahahahaha give me a break.  We are still a losing team with Ridley over Edmunds, so stop.  In fact, I’d bet all the money in the world you would be calling Ridley a bust and blaming Beane for passing on someone else had we taken Ridley because he would have poor stats this year here in Buffalo.

How is our season any different this year with Ridley and our QB situation with all the injuries on top of that?  Are we somehow magically a playoff team with Ridley this year.  No, and if you say we are then stop posting cuz you are delusional.

What a ridiculous statement.  We are clearly done here, nothing left to discuss.  All good, happy turkey day.

PS:  And I am following rookie class close, as Inam a football junkie.  I’m also not foolish enough to decide rookies careers on half a rookie season.  I still take Edmunds at 16, he is looking like he has the potential to be special with all his gifts and is doing fine for his rookie year so far where he seems to be getting better...and still only 20.  Others are off to good starts too, but I still see more upside in Edmunds.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hahaha Ridley changes our season???  Why because he had 2 good weeks with a Pro Bowl QB and Julio opposite him?  Hahahahaha give me a break.  We are still a losing team with Ridley over Edmunds, so stop.  In fact, I’d bet all the money in the world you would be calling Ridley a bust and blaming Beane for passing on someone else had we taken Ridley because he would have poor stats this year here in Buffalo.

How is our season any different this year with Ridley and our QB situation with all the injuries on top of that?  Are we somehow magically a playoff team with Ridley this year.  No, and if you say we are then stop posting cuz you are delusional.

What a ridiculous statement.  We are clearly done here, nothing left to discuss.  All good, happy turkey day.

PS:  And I am following rookie class close, as Inam a football junkie.  I’m also not foolish enough to decide rookies careers on half a rookie season.  I still take Edmunds at 16, he is looking like he has the potential to be special with all his gifts and is doing fine for his rookie year so far where he seems to be getting better...and still only 20.  Others are off to good starts too, but I still see more upside in Edmunds.  

You love to throw out words like ridiculous and delusion as if it will defuse someone's counter to your weak arguments. :lol:  You would focus on defense in today's game based on previous converastions which is the wrong approach.  How would our season be different? Wrong question with the focus on 2019 and beyond.  Wake up Rip it's 2018 not 1978. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Are we really playing this game halfway through their rookie seasons?

If the situation were reversed.......you would.

I still remember the victory prancing by apologists around here when Donahoe stubbornly selected Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie and then McKinnie held out for the first two months of the season.............you'd have thought the earth revolved around Donahoe here.?

FWIW..........and with a MLB probably A LOT........LVE has been outstanding despite having considerably less college experience than Edmunds and coming from 8 man football in rural Idaho compared to Edmunds being raised by a star NFL father.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

One thing that often bothers me about discussions here is the expectation that everyone is perfect and perfect from day one.  

Zay Jones isn't perfect and wasn't perfect from day one.  Now he looks okay. 

McDermott is a defensive coach.  He isn't going to be perfect on offense and wasn't perfect on day one. 

What's most important is that the coach makes changes when things aren't right. He had a plan for the offense and he doesn't like how it's gone. So he's changing.  

Would you rather have a coach who changes or stubbornly sticks with what isn't working?

I want a coach that's ahead of the curve. Those are the guys that win long-term in this league, the proactive ones, not the reactive. 

Is this what we're going to have to expect from these guys? Failure before they know what to aim for? 

Do you see McDermott as a coach that's going to be innovative? I've seen the guys who've won long term in this league like Belichick and Reid and they introduce new principles and wrinkles into what they do. I don't see McDermott being that kind of guy. I mean it took them a year and a half to understand how important speed is in the most successful schemes with the rules in place? The good coaches and GM's in this league started to adjust as soon as they saw what was happening with the rules, before they even played, because they could see where the league was going.

That's the kind of coach and GM I want, the ones who are part of setting the trend, not the ones who struggle to mimic them. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Michael Thomas. Mike Evans. Diggs/Thielen. Keenan Allen. All top wideouts on top 10 passing offenses who aren’t particularly fast. There’s one for every Hill and Cooks.

Point being, you need GOOD wideouts. The formula isn’t ‘small fast’, and it’s not some trend our FO wasn’t up to speed on.

I think it's all about a balance and having a WR core that can do a variety of things. I don't think your #1 necessarily has to be a high speed guy, but you want a couple of effective high speed guys in your offense not only for the big plays they can bring but to stretch the field to help the other facets in it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You love to throw out words like ridiculous and delusion as if it will defuse someone's counter to your weak arguments. :lol:  You would focus on defense in today's game based on previous converastions which is the wrong approach.  How would our season be different? Wrong question with the focus on 2019 and beyond.  Wake up Rip it's 2018 not 1978. 

Your the one complaining about THIS season.  They haven’t even begun the offense rebuild yet outside drafting Allen.  You act like THIS offense is what they INTEND to be despite repeateadly saying (Both Beane and McD) they know how important a high powered passing attack is.  They even went out and got the biggest arm in Allen.  We are among the leading teams in NFL in deep throws.

You can’t seperate yourself from fielding a team and building a team.  You can’t rebuild it all in one season, and they very successfully took our awful D and turned it into a top 5 unit while also grabbing our QB and clearing our cap space.  

THIS next year they will address the offense, so stop freaking out as if they plan to ignore the offense which is categorically untrue.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I actually liked the Edmunds pick...I just don't like your style of argument. You're trying to downplay Ridley because we wouldn't have made the playoffs with him...but we're not making the playoffs with Edmunds either. There's no 1 player that would have done that. 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Your the one complaining about THIS season.  They haven’t even begun the offense rebuild yet outside drafting Allen.  You act like THIS offense is what they INTEND to be despite repeateadly saying (Both Beane and McD) they know how important a high powered passing attack is.  They even went out and got the biggest arm in Allen.  We are among the leading teams in NFL in deep throws.

You can’t seperste yourself from fielding a team and building a team.  You can’t rebuild it all in one season, and they very successfully took our awful D and turned it into a top 5 unit while also grabbing our QB and clearing our cap space.

THIS next year they will address the offense, so stop dreaming out as if they plan to ignore the offense which is categorically untrue.

Once again, it's about more than this season.  It's the long term approach and being behind the trends that make teams successful in the long term in today's NFL.  McDermott's own words along with Beane's should give anyone pause as they seem to be late to the party. We'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

An UDFA rookie isn’t making it a priority. That’s being fortunate. 

So who do they not draft?  Edmunds? Taron? Phillips?  Teller?

I mean they all look promising or better.  Again, they only have so many pics, it was Beanes first draft and he did pretty good by early return standards.  

You cant say something isn’t a priority just because they didn’t address it this draft when we had a TON of needs.  And there is MORE than one way to address than during a draft, like UDFA.  Does not matter how a player gets here, it matters the player is here.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah but my point is your suggestion is no better than taking Foster as a UDFA. Adding a speedy receiver was not their biggest priority in this particular offseason but they didn't completely ignore it. They had a bunch of holes to fill on both sides and they've been experimenting with different receivers all year. It's going to take one more offseason for the rebuild to be complete.

58 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, they could've. But it's not like St. Brown's been terrific for Green Bay with Rodgers throwing to him. 162 yards. Is he significantly better than Foster?

You can't fill all your roster holes in one year.

My point is that speed isn’t optional. They treated it as such. You can find cheap speed (like McKenzie). You had to have someone. Foster was a long shot and made the roster because the group was terrible. That’s not a guy that they could have counted on. If he played well it was found money. If not, it was expected. They had to have speed and they didn’t. They realized it, admitted it, and tried to fix it. This isn’t Monday Morning QBing either. A lot of us said this months ago. I’m glad that they came around.

5 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I think it's all about a balance and having a WR core that can do a variety of things. I don't think your #1 necessarily has to be a high speed guy, but you want a couple of effective high speed guys in your offense not only for the big plays they can bring but to stretch the field to help the other facets in it.

And I think people are looking at Tyreek Hill now as if he wasn’t this good last year (he was) and saying ‘oh you need guys like that!’ without seeing teams like Minny and SD who are very productive passing offenses without fast wideouts.

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I actually liked the Edmunds pick...I just don't like your style of argument. You're trying to downplay Ridley because we wouldn't have made the playoffs with him...but we're not making the playoffs with Edmunds either. There's no 1 player that would have done that. 

No, that IS EXACTLY my point you see.  There is all this freaking out over the offense this year when there was no other decisions this offseason that would have made any notable changes to the offense this year.  You just reinforced my exact point.  Everyone else acts like there was some offensive player that would have somehow changed our fortunes this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So who do they not draft?  Edmunds? Taron? Phillips?  Teller?

I mean they all look promising or better.  Again, they only have so many pics, it was Beanes first draft and he did pretty good by early return standards.  

You cant say something isn’t a priority just because they didn’t address it this draft when we had a TON of needs.  And there is MORE than one way to address than during a draft, like UDFA.  Does not matter how a player gets here, it matters the player is here.

They could have taken St. Brown over Siran Neal or Ray Ray. He went after both of them. That’s why I used him as an example.