Amazon HQ2 Decision - NYC & VA

IDBillzFan

Can’t wait to hear D’Blowhard, Accidentally Ocassional Cortex, and Infanticide Andy reveal their big plans to pump that $3 Billion back into Queens. I wonder how they’re going to invest their new found prosperity now that Amazon isn’t going to steal it from them. 

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

Can’t wait to hear D’Blowhard, Accidentally Ocassional Cortex, and Infanticide Andy reveal their big plans to pump that $3 Billion back into Queens. I wonder how they’re going to invest their new found prosperity now that Amazon isn’t going to steal it from them. 

I bet their answer is immigration. They'll pump the district full of diverse immigrants and it'll be blue skies and daisies from there on out. 

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

As Barrack used to say "Nah ho-ho-hold on just a second...". 

The path is now clear. AOC is onto something. If I were Cuomo, I'd be inviting every large tech company in the world to set up shop in the city, have AOC do her AOC and have the company decide to move on.  You're not going to score the $3b everytime, but if you could average a bill each time a company changed its plans after a while you have like $5b in found money for NYS.

Put another way...sometimes pulling out is a good thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I bet their answer is immigration. They'll pump the district full of diverse immigrants and it'll be blue skies and daisies from there on out. 

The district has long been home to diverse immigrants.  The pushback was because the immigrants were being pushed out by new development.

But why would you want to learn about an issue before posting about it?

Just now, GG said:

The district has long been home to diverse immigrants.  The pushback was because the immigrants were being pushed out by new development.

But why would you want to learn about an issue before posting about it?

Do you even sarcasm, bruh?

9 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Cuomo and D’bagio were for the Amazon move. Both were going to line their pockets in one way or another; and they got the extra bonus of having Bezos come in to carve out a utopia in LIC.  This was all negotiated before AOC was elected in November (but probably after the primary).  Local businesses were on board because even though there was likely to be graft and political posturing, they would also reap benefits from the ripples.  Adjacent neighborhoods were also licking their chops because this was such a big move, they were going to see benefits, too.

I’m sure the D’s downstate, and many in Albany aren’t too happy with Cortez.  A statewide poll showed that a majority supported the Amazon deal, and that in NYC there was a 28% difference in favor.  https://www.wsj.com/articles/majority-of-new-yorkers-support-amazon-project-in-queens-new-poll-shows-11549967400  Cortez really should look into her future and decide it might be smart to keep her mouth shut about taking credit for driving Amazon away.

The Mayor is on WNYC Radio every Friday (Brian Lehrer "Ask the Mayor" segment).

He made all of the basic points that everyone here is making: (1) vast majority of New Yorkers wanted this, (2) revenue was to be 9:1 on the plus side, etc. The twists were: (A)  he was shocked and stunned, and pissed off that Amazon just pulled the plug while the City and State were still discussing things, (B) he claimed that he was trying all along to get Amazon to commit to investing in infrastructure/engaging with unions/committing to giving jobs to NYC residents, (C) the incentives given were not specifically tailored to Amazon, but were based on existing NYS and NYC laws on the books.

He made to or three very thinly veiled shots at local politicians (AOC and others who were loud) who have their heads up their asses.

27 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Scary, Andy and Comrade DiBlasio are almost moderate compared to this  dimwit...

https://nypost.com/2019/02/14/this-is-the-man-who-delivered-the-death-blow-to-amazon-deal/

The NYS Senate turnover this last election was the final straw on the camel's back.  There is no turning back for this State now.  I'm advising my kids to get out of NY while they've got the chance.

6 hours ago, snafu said:

Cuomo and D’bagio were for the Amazon move. Both were going to line their pockets in one way or another; and they got the extra bonus of having Bezos come in to carve out a utopia in LIC.  This was all negotiated before AOC was elected in November (but probably after the primary).  Local businesses were on board because even though there was likely to be graft and political posturing, they would also reap benefits from the ripples.  Adjacent neighborhoods were also licking their chops because this was such a big move, they were going to see benefits, too.

I’m sure the D’s downstate, and many in Albany aren’t too happy with Cortez.  A statewide poll showed that a majority supported the Amazon deal, and that in NYC there was a 28% difference in favor.  https://www.wsj.com/articles/majority-of-new-yorkers-support-amazon-project-in-queens-new-poll-shows-11549967400  Cortez really should look into her future and decide it might be smart to keep her mouth shut about taking credit for driving Amazon away.

Shush. Trickledown economics! Crumbs! The Dems are the party of the smartest people. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gov. Cuomo reportedly pleaded to Jeff Bezos to bring Amazon HQ2 back to New York

* New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is trying to win back Amazon by making calls to executives, including Jeff Bezos, according to The New York Times.
* Cuomo is upset with local politicians who had opposed the deal with Amazon.
* Amazon abandoned its plans to build half of its new headquarters in New York City earlier this month.
* Several local New York leaders will publish an open letter in the Times, asking Amazon to come back.

</snip>

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Gov. Cuomo reportedly pleaded to Jeff Bezos to bring Amazon HQ2 back to New York

* New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is trying to win back Amazon by making calls to executives, including Jeff Bezos, according to The New York Times.
* Cuomo is upset with local politicians who had opposed the deal with Amazon.
* Amazon abandoned its plans to build half of its new headquarters in New York City earlier this month.
* Several local New York leaders will publish an open letter in the Times, asking Amazon to come back.

</snip>

Link to the Open Letter.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/640-amazon-ad-nyt/23be553f1bef2065302d/optimized/full.pdf