OT- skiing

I lived in Vail Beaver Creek for a season. Got a Vail season pass and skied 50 days that year

My job was ski in ski out. I had the keys to all the condominiums and was the only maint guy on nights.. Good times

Utah is awesome, Jackson Hole if you are extreme enough. Sun Valley Idaho always rates, and Whistler Blackhomb up in BC can be fun when they get snow

Was in Tahoe last weekend.  Great time, 2 feet of powder, but it's so far.

Next year, I'm thinking Denver.  Been to Vail/Beaver Creek, awesome but expensive.

Any recommendations?

285338[/snapback]

I live in the area, but do not ski. Howver, I can still tell you that having lived around here for over 5 years, the vast majority of the many folks I know around here who do ski regularly prefer Copper Mountain. From what I hear, Copper is reasonably priced, has good, varied runs, fewer out of town skiiers who don't know what they are doing, etc. You probably can't go wrong, as I often hear locals going to pretty much all of them, but again, I consistently hear a preference for Copper.

I live in the area, but do not ski.  Howver, I can still tell you that having lived around here for over 5 years, the vast majority of the many folks I know around here who do ski regularly prefer Copper Mountain.  From what I hear, Copper is reasonably priced, has good, varied runs, fewer out of town skiiers who don't know what they are doing, etc.  You probably can't go wrong, as I often hear locals going to pretty much all of them, but again, I consistently hear a preference for Copper.

285446[/snapback]

know the vertical at copper mountain by any chance? i'm tired of skiing the 750 and 1200 feet verticals of WNY

I had a blast in the Cottonwood Canyon area outside Salt Lake City, Utah. You can put together a nice budget 4-day ski trip... $200 rt plane fare, $200 for room, $160 for a 4-day Superpass to the big 4 resorts (Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton), and under $100 for skis. Rent a cheap car and catch a bus (included in the Superpass) up the hill at the park'n'rides at the base of the canyon.

Park City = overpriced and overrated, btw.

I've skiied these in Colorado. Vail, Copper Mt, Arapahoe Basin, Winter Park and Breckenridge.

A Basin is my favorite for Colorado, but its mostly for advanced skiiers. Awesome Rock Park and super steeps. Vail = super expensive and not all that great. Copper is good and priced well with alot of terrain. Winter Park is kinda like A Basin in that it is tougher with more black diamonds. Breckenridge is good for long lazy slopes and family. They have some challenging runs too.

These are better if you want to go somewhere besides COL.

Whistler Blackhomb in B.C.

Alta, Utah

Jackson Hole, Wyoming

All of these are so awesome and worth it. And yes, I'd have to say Utah has the best powder on Earth!

All you Eastcoast skiiers and boarders have nothing on the West!!

know the vertical at copper mountain by any chance? i'm tired of skiing the 750 and 1200 feet verticals of WNY

285448[/snapback]

Copper Mt 2601 ft vertical

but its Colorado skiing, everything in Col is at least 3 x's bigger then WNY ski resorts and then some

I live in the area, but do not ski.  Howver, I can still tell you that having lived around here for over 5 years, the vast majority of the many folks I know around here who do ski regularly prefer Copper Mountain.  From what I hear, Copper is reasonably priced, has good, varied runs, fewer out of town skiiers who don't know what they are doing, etc.  You probably can't go wrong, as I often hear locals going to pretty much all of them, but again, I consistently hear a preference for Copper.

285446[/snapback]

Never Skied it. Don't get Copper confuse with Ski Cooper?

If you want off the beaten path try:

SkiCooper

It is in Leadville and in the San Isabel National Forest. I think it is run by the parks service?

It is family friendly and AFFORDABLE. I have heard rave reviews... Only 1200' vertical though.

I have done Jakson Hole and Breckenridge/A-Basin. The only other out west was Banff.

Of those I highly recommend Banff in the Canadian Rockies. I have done it a number of times in early April and the skiing was awesome. Warm temps during the day that turned the conditons into great spring skiing. The back bowls at Lake Louise would even hold great winter conditions. Sunshine Village is nice and wide open.

Hope this helps!

285448[/snapback]

Want big vertical? Try Whistler/Blackcomb in BC it is over 5k and is the most in N. America... Jackson comes in second... First in the states at 4.2k or so?

Doesn't Jackson get dumped on yet, it all disappears early. I did it once in '89 in JANUARY! Our plane was the last to land (skid) into Jackson, WY before blizzard hit... It took 'em a couple of days just to find the Teton Pass and plow it out. A tucked away gem is Grand Targhee (west in Idaho and back into Wyoming) on the other side of the Tetons... I would have tried it that year hadn't it been for the pass being buried... Supposedly you can ski "first tracks" all day long!

Want spring skiing?... Go into the summit country and try A-Basin (Araphoe Basin... Just above Breckenridge.

Again, as earlier posted Ski Cooper seems to be high up?

I hear it has been a terrible year in the coastal range (Whistler, BC)? Probably nothing but rain down in the valley?

In the East:

Surprising Killington, VT gets the claim a lot at staying open the latest... Sometimes well into late May.

Been quite a while since I've been out west to ski(8 yrs), but take this for waht its worth from an intermediate skier.

Whistler was awesome for skiing, but the town kinda sucked. felt like you were in Disneyland.

Breckenridge skiing was not as great, but the town was very cool .

Liked both much more than Tahoe

Utah (Alta) was awesome, great snow great runs, We went last year and did Park City (great food, atmosphere), Deer Valley (Ok, but pricey), The Canyons (horrible trail layouts) Overall, I would take Alta if you are going to Utah.

We went to Jackson Hole not too long ago (5 years) Massive mountain, good runs, nice area great cruisers and steeps, but for the 5 days we skiied, 3 of them went to Grand Targhee on the opposite side of the mountain from Jackson. We had to drive an hour through mountain roads to get there, but when we got back to the hotel at the end of the day and compared notes with those who skiied Jackson, we had 2 feet of fresh powder, they had slush and crud.

Good luck wherever you end up!

Surprising Killington, VT gets the claim a lot at staying open the latest... Sometimes well into late May.

285539[/snapback]

I've definitely skiied at Killington in May, it was the best, t-shirt, windpants and gloves, tons of fun...

First trip out west (probably 20 years ago) was to Steamboat Springs. All by itself, nice little town. Good for a long weekend, but I would not make a whole week there. Plenty of good skiing.

Have been to UT and CO since then. Have to put UT at the top. Have WY, MT, and ID on the "to do" list

I travel a lot for my job so fortunately I get to feed my snowbaord addiction 20+ days a year. The most important thing about CO is when you go. I've always had the best luck for powder near closing time. Summit County gets boatloads of snow in late March/April, but everyone else has turned their heads towards summer, leaving the slopes empty. Also if it isn't snowing, it's perfect spring corn snow and bluebird skies.

Avoid Holidays like the plague.

If you can, ski during the week.

The farther you go from Denver, the smaller the weekend crowds.

Here's my preferences in order:

1.) Aspen - Gets a bad rap as being stupid expensive and full of wacked out rich people. The wacked out are there, but add to the amusement. Go late March or early april and you can get a 4nt/3day lodging/lift package for around $300 a person (depending on # in party). Aspen really is very underated in the terrain category and your ticket is good for all 4 mountains. Stay in town (it rocks). Also, Aspen is a pain in the @ss to get to, so lift lines are non existent and the general crowd there aren't out until 10am and in by 2pm.

2.) A-Basin - A no frills mountain, great terrain, not too crowded. Not a destination resort, so it makes a great for a day trip from any of the other Summit county resorts. Everyone who skis/rides there does it because they love it, so the vibe is awesome. Bring a cooler and tailgate in the parking lot at the end of the day.

3.) Copper - Village reminds me of a little Whistler (same Company). Good selection of terrain and difficulty is naturally divided so you don't have to worry too much about being caught on a difficult slope if you are a beginner or being slowed down by schools if you are letting loose. Not much in the way of nightlife or dining, but has a few decent restaraunts and a bunch of solid happy hour places. Their expansion is limited by I-70 and the mountain so there isn't much lodging comapred to other front range resorts, keeping down the # of out of town skiers. Back bowls are nice, and there's a pretty good amount of variety to keep skiers of all abilities happy.

4.) Vail - Vail is the epitome of corporate blah....but the back side of the mountain and Blue Sky Basin rocks. Only place I've ever seen sno-cats groom a whole bowl. It's big enough to get lost in when it gets crowded and it will get crowded, considering the number of hotel room available. Hit Katlenberg Kastle up for $5 liters of beer for happy hour. If your there over the weekend, head to Beaver Creek on Saturday. Super Hoity-Toity, but a very underated mountain. Your Vail pass should work there. It's ridiculously expensive to stay at The Beav, but I've been there twice on Saturdays in prime season (staying at Vail) and it wasn't crowded.

5.) Loveland - I've only been there once and the ridge wasn't open, so didn't get to experience the whole thing. No where really to stay, but makes a great day trip from another resort or Denver. Go their to avoid weekend crowds at other hills.

6.) Breckenridge - Boring terrain, absolute zoo. I've been to Breck four times on week/long weeknds and I dislike it more an more each time. The so-sos in our ski group seem to love going there, so I get outvoted. Was there for New Years this year. What a disaster. It's the most heavily visited resort in the country and the slopes and town show it. The on mountain food is the worst I've ever had...and well, you can tell I don't like Breck :)

Utah - I've only been to Park City a couple times. Decent mountain, cool town. I've never experienced the infamous Utah Powder, so I won't really weigh in on this one. Good for quick weekend trips (1/2 hour from Salt Lake), but by the same measure is easy for SLC residents to get too (crowds).

Montana - Big Sky is awesome. Terrain is fantastic...still a pretty raw resort area, so you don't have to deal with huge tour groups, tons of beginners etc. Can definitely tell they are building it up though. Snow cover can be sketchy if you don't hit it at the right time, so it can be rocky. You will never, ever, ever wait in a lift line :lol:

Whistler - The mecca/disneyworld of ski resorts. It's all there. Awesome mountains, incredible verticle & 7000+ acres of terrain. Oh yeah, the Village is the standard by which all other ski resorts are judged. They're having a bad snow year (as is the entire NW), but I've been there every December sice '99 (excluding Dec '04...that stupid Breck trip) and have had ridiculous powder every time. If you go in mid December, the whole mountain(s) may not be open, but it will still be more terrain than any other resort...I've had a few times where I was watching the webcams daily....but Whistler-Blackcomb always has pulled through for me. Mid -December is also the cheapest time of year.

Wyoming - Heading to Jackson Hole next Thursday, I'll keep you posted. <_<

Agree with the others...I live here in Salt Lake, and the Utah mountains are awesome *and* close by. Park City is overrated and expensive, and Deer Valley is completely too expensive, but Alta, Snowbird, and Solitude rock. On the other hand, Park City is a cool place to hang out with some awesome restaurants.

Plus, we've had one of the best snow years in a long time up in our mountains, and they've been getting dumped on again the past few days, with more to come. The next few days/weeks will be some incredible skiing.

Whistler - The mecca/disneyworld of ski resorts. It's all there. Awesome mountains, incredible verticle & 7000+ acres of terrain. Oh yeah, the Village is the standard by which all other ski resorts are judged. They're having a bad snow year (as is the entire NW), but I've been there every December sice '99 (excluding Dec '04...that stupid Breck trip) and have had ridiculous powder every time. If you go in mid December, the whole mountain(s) may not be open, but it will still be more terrain than any other resort...I've had a few times where I was watching the webcams daily....but Whistler-Blackcomb always has pulled through for me. Mid -December is also the cheapest time of year.

Wyoming - Heading to Jackson Hole next Thursday, I'll keep you posted.  <_<

285864[/snapback]

Kev, when was the last time you were at Whistler? Just went skiing again this spring, first time with the kids, and we are planning on going out west next winter. My impression of Whistler was the town kinda sucked. Like I said, felt I was in Disney,like everything was perfect and plastic if you know what I mean . Again, this was at least 8 yrs ago, and so the vibe may have changed. How you you rate it for families, my kids will be 6 and 4 at the time.

BTW, both were going down intermediate hills by the end of our three day trip a couple weeks ago. They got the old mans genes, lucky them

Kev, when was the last time you were at Whistler? Just went skiing again this spring, first time with the kids, and we are planning on going out west next winter. My impression of Whistler was the town kinda sucked. Like I said, felt I was in Disney,like everything was perfect and plastic if you know what I mean . Again, this was at least 8 yrs ago, and so the vibe may have changed. How you you rate it for families, my kids will be 6 and 4 at the time.

BTW, both were going down intermediate hills by the end of our three day trip a couple weeks ago. They got the old mans genes, lucky them

285971[/snapback]

Last time was December of 2003. The village is still "Disneyworld." Everything matches and invokes that psuedo-mountain village look. I enjoy it because everything is in walking distance and the selection of restaurants and bars is excellent. I don't have kids, so I can't speak to their children's programs. I do know they have a kid specific area right at the mid-station of Whistler gondola. IMHO there's enough jerk-offs on the slopes they should devote whole sections of the slope to kids & families. I don't say beginners because sometimes they are the most dangerous people on the hill <_<

If they enjoy intermediates, there's enough terrain on the two mountains to keep them well occupied. Just be wary of the lower half of the mountains. Because of the high amount of vertical rise, it can be raining in the village and fine up top. Plus the lower half gets skiied out easily (moguls the size of vw's) with all the people heading down to the village. However, the good thing with Whistler is that lower does not necessarily mean easier as it does with some mountains.

I have heard that Keystone in CO is an excellent family resort.

Last time was December of 2003. The village is still "Disneyworld." Everything matches and invokes that psuedo-mountain village look. I enjoy it because everything is in walking distance and the selection of restaurants and bars is excellent. I don't have kids, so I can't speak to their children's programs. I do know they have a kid specific area right at the mid-station of Whistler gondola. IMHO there's enough jerk-offs on the slopes they should devote whole sections of the slope to kids & families. I don't say beginners because sometimes they are the most dangerous people on the hill :blink:

If they enjoy intermediates, there's enough terrain on the two mountains to keep them well occupied. Just be wary of the lower half of the mountains. Because of the high amount of vertical rise, it can be raining in the village and fine up top. Plus the lower half gets skiied out easily (moguls the size of vw's) with all the people heading down to the village. However, the good thing with Whistler is that lower does not necessarily mean easier as it does with some mountains.

I have heard that Keystone in CO is an excellent family resort.

286127[/snapback]

Thx for the reply. That is what I thought when we were there too. Funny you mentioned the lower half of the hiils. Last time there my wife took a wicked fall in the slushy stuff as we were close to the bottom. Face first , she gets a black eye. It was weird becaude no one would ask where how she got the black eye, just assumed I had had clocked her. Again, thx for the tip on Keystone