TxTech-78 UB-58. Congrats on a great season. (Ranked, 32-4 record)

PromoTheRobot

“I thought they were tougher than us the last 10 minutes, especially.”

“They’re faster, quicker, I think they’re stronger.”

-Jim Boeheim

It’s a huge win for our program,” said UB coach Nate Oats. “We’ve got a little bit more depth, we’ve got a little bit more scoring – 1 through 7 – than they do.”

“No disrespect to their guys, but I think we do have better players,” said Oats, in his typical blunt, matter-of-fact fashion. “I told our team that. I told them going into this game, we’re the better team. I think we play harder. I think they’ve got a couple guys who are borderline pros. (Oshae) Brissett, obviously, is supposed to go in the first round after this year. (Tyus) Battle is really good. If you look at players 3 through 9, I think we’re better.”

“They play a small lineup but they rebound well out of it,” Boeheim said. “They’re older. Their defense is better this year by a lot. We scored 80 points against them last year.”

“I thought our defense and rebounding won the game,” Oats said. “We kind of won despite coaching, because I can never figure that zone out. We were awful against it. But to outrebound them by 13, and our defense the last 10 minutes of the game really locked them up.”

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/15/2018 at 1:47 PM, eball said:

Umm, yeah, thanks, I've only been watching college BB for about 35 years.  The severity of these runs was unusual.  21-2 for UB, then 18-4 for SIU in the 1st half.  Then 26-11 UB to start the 2nd half.  That's not "normal."

While it may not be "normal", it sure does seem to be happening more often.

College basketball overall has gotten to a point where the mid majors and smaller programs can beat the elite schools, or at least hang with them and give them a tough game on more of a regular basis than in years past.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

While it may not be "normal", it sure does seem to be happening more often.

College basketball overall has gotten to a point where the mid majors and smaller programs can beat the elite schools, or at least hang with them and give them a tough game on more of a regular basis than in years past.

A big reason for this is that elite schools recruit one-and-done players, while mid-majors develop four-year players. UB has a deep bench but most of them have been in the program a long time. Syracuse gets great players but they are gone sooner if they are NBA-caliber.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A big reason for this is that elite schools recruit one-and-done players, while mid-majors develop four-year players. UB has a deep bench but most of them have been in the program a long time. Syracuse gets great players but they are gone sooner if they are NBA-caliber.

UB's hitting the juco's hard as well, a couple big contributors on the current roster.  Also have 2 pretty good players, sitting out this year due to transfer, that will come in as seniors next season. 

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20180705mj3f8n

Oats and his staff have been fantastic at finding quality transfers to this point.

Edited by ricojes

13 hours ago, ricojes said:

UB's hitting the juco's hard as well, a couple big contributors on the current roster.  Also have 2 pretty good players, sitting out this year due to transfer, that will come in as seniors next season. 

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20180705mj3f8n

Oats and his staff have been fantastic at finding quality transfers to this point.

He is going to have to recruit HS players at some point though... He did get Freshmen Jeenathan Williams

But this last class has all JUCO players, not 1 incoming freshman.

sure he gets talented kids but he needs to develop them over 4-5 years not just grab JUCO JRs

that isn’t sustainable 

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is going to have to recruit HS players at some point though... He did get Freshmen Jeenathan Williams

But this last class has all JUCO players, not 1 incoming freshman.

sure he gets talented kids but he needs to develop them over 4-5 years not just grab JUCO JRs

that isn’t sustainable 

It's a good way to get a program going. Now that UB is gaining national notoriety it will be easier to pitch those elite high school prospects. But having some experienced JUCO players is a good mix.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Wow, I just looked at Marquette's schedule.  They are no joke.  Besides a bad 23-pt loss to unranked Indiana early, they have beaten two ranked teams and lost to Kansas by only 9.

If UB somehow wins this one, then given their remaining schedule they are staring at a potential #4 seed (or better) in the NCAA tourney.  Huge game.

Worst case scenario, it still wouldn't be a "bad" loss as long as they aren't blown out.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, eball said:

Wow, I just looked at Marquette's schedule.  They are no joke.  Besides a bad 23-pt loss to unranked Indiana early, they have beaten two ranked teams and lost to Kansas by only 9.

If UB somehow wins this one, then given their remaining schedule they are staring at a potential #4 seed (or better) in the NCAA tourney.  Huge game.

Worst case scenario, it still wouldn't be a "bad" loss as long as they aren't blown out.

Yes sir..and they beat Wisconsin. I don't have a good feeling about this game.

Most unbelievable half of college BB I've ever witnessed.  Howard was unstoppable.  UB acquitted themselves well; nothing to be ashamed of when a guy goes off for 40+ in one half and hits absolutely everything he throws up regardless of the defense.