Reason 4,217,441 that I'm leaving the South

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vikings (who terrorized and murdered a lot of Europe for many a year), had a good way of dealing with the infirmed elderly. They gave them a bang-up party, with the best of food, and then told them how much they loved them and then pitched them off a 500 foot cliff into the fijords.  Everybody was happy.

285097[/snapback]

Ah, the good old days.

I bet the Vikings never had to suffer sitting behind a slow-moving longboat in traffic :huh:

This is right along the lines of what you were talking about, I didnt really think Florida would get wrapped up in this, but then again, we are Florida, the laughing stock of the nation.

TALLAHASSEE — Republicans on the House Choice and Innovation Committee voted along party lines Tuesday to pass a bill that aims to stamp out “leftist totalitarianism” by “dictator professors” in the classrooms of Florida’s universities.

Baxley said a university education should be more than “one biased view by the professor, who as a dictator controls the classroom,” as part of “a misuse of their platform to indoctrinate the next generation with their own views.”

The bill sets a statewide standard that students cannot be punished for professing beliefs with which their professors disagree. Professors would also be advised to teach alternative “serious academic theories” that may disagree with their personal views.

link

I just dont see creationism as a "serious academic theory."

285598[/snapback]

The Republicans are acting more and more like Democrats each day. Politicians need to stay out of education. I agree, in part, with what they want to do in the fact that students are being punished by some professors for espousing conservative POVs, but this bill is ridiculous. Professors need to educate students on all POVs but not punish them if they do not believe the same as the prof. It is the prof's job to inform, not tell people what their beliefs should be.

This type of thing needs to be addressed within the school itself, and not through the legislature.

yeah, high taxes and no TP is a small price to pay to be surrounded by people who don't believe in evolution...  I would happily pay more taxes to never have to drive down the street and see some moron with a confederate flag for his back window...

285222[/snapback]

You've obviously never been to the Southern Tier.

:huh:

I'm getting quite sick of the South, too. It isn't the people or the religion... it's just "weird."

BUT.. I'm not ready to go back to Buff... the economy still blows.  I need to find a happy medium.

Anyone feel like hiring me out of ATL for a crazy high salary, and foot relo?

285240[/snapback]

Move to Cary, NC. At least 70% of it's population has their roots from north of the mason-dixon.

Nobody speaks the truth 24/7/365, even the vaunted St. Rush of Limbaugh.  You could do worse, though.

284882[/snapback]

CNN - FOX. The facts are clear.... Fox is definitely slanted to the right, whereas CNN slants to the left. No journalism is ever "fair and balanced". They all have their bias, and while a centrist (white) news would nice, it isn't likely to happen. All journalism is yellow, some much more so than others, but yellow all the same.

The problem with Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc., is that they are so married to their ideology that they frequently miss the big picture. Yet the left has ....Franken? Ouch, that's sad. Personally, I'm more liberal on social issues, and conservative with respect to spending.

I will say that if one is a true conservative, balancing the books is mandatory and wild deficit spending is anti-conservative, although I'd love to be able to run my personal finances this way. Unfortunately, the darn banks won't let me....

I beleive evoloution is proof of God.  God is perfection.  The only thing perfect is nature.  Nature is perfectly efficient.  Everything in nature serves a purpose

288032[/snapback]

You may have a point.... but perfectly efficient? I dont think so.

Bunch of frigging hillbillies..

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/...e.ap/index.html

284831[/snapback]

You've really missed the boat on this one.

Talk about painting with a broad brush.

Don't know how serious you are when you state "reason for leaving the south", but the real problem is not the south, but the overdone climate of political correctness. Believe me, it's not exclusive to the south. There are plenty of school systems in the buffalo area that no longer allow construction paper christmas trees displayed in their hallways around christmas....oops....rather, the end of year holiday season.

The real issue should be, why don't the IMAX theatre people ignore the whiners who are so easily offended? I think I know the reason. No business owner wants the kind of publicity that would come from a few fanatics with sandwich signs protesting outside of their theatres. Because of the multitudes of media outlets today, (cable news, satellite radio, internet, network news, print media, neighborhood washer woman, etc)anyone can create a fuss and get some air time that will inevitably rally others who are looking for a cause to latch on to.

Before the advent of media/news saturation, the media only picked up on the most important stories. Today, there are reporters desperate for a story and eager to be the ones to break some big controversy - even if they are in actuality the ones creating the story as they fan the flames. In this era the media is often creating the news rather than just reporting it. They all want to be the next "celebrity" reporter.

Going back to the creationists and the volcano movie a second....were these people actually offended or are there just some insecure people who are desperate for attention?

It's ironic how on one hand we're all being preached to these days about diversity, tolerence, and freedoms, yet on the other hand, there seems to be a fair share of nitwits who cowtow to the ones trying to undermine these precepts. In American society we now tolerate language by school-aged kids that was once considered vulger, curse or improper, but don't dare catch anyone using an offensive word like "christmas" - oh no!!! That might trigger a major backlash. You know what? If you're so easily offended, get the hell out of the country. You're obviously too thin-skinned and don't have the mettle to handle minor adversity. How in the world are you going to handle real problems? This country didn't become great because of a bunch of whiners who claimed persecution by every little thing that didn't really amount to a hill of beans. Pick your battles.

Let's all think before we react like a bunch of ninnies.

-Southern Manequin

There's only two things wrong with the South:

1. The slow pace.. fast food for example goes in slo-mo. But, once you resign yourself to the pace you're OK.

2. The Italian food sucks!!! (few exceptions)

You've really missed the boat on this one.... blah blah and so on and so forth....

I agree with you. I've said some harsh anti-southern things in the past, but I still think you're right. The battle seems to be a bit more heated down here due to the larger population of religious purists.

To those of you preaching North Carolina.. yes, I'd love to. Wife even has some family up there, I believe in Cary actually. The hard part is finding the job willing to pay relocation!

Honestly, my real reason for wanting to get out of the Atlanta area... really isn't the locals or the southern style or anything. There are two...

1. The freaking over population. I grew up in Buffalo! More than 6 cars at a light a head of me means the Bills game just finished or traffic is incredibly heavy.

2. Been there, done that. I've been here for 8 years or so now. I'm kind of sick of it. I haven't "fit in" completely and I still feel like a fish out of water. Not fun any longer, no sir. Time for a change. Be it NY again, Denver, California... anywhere!

-Jeff

The TRUTH - you're kidding, right...

288071[/snapback]

Rush, Sean, Savage... all three of them are great entertainers but swing much too far to the right. I'm in *no* way a liberal. I'm simply not as conservative on a lot of issues.. mostly social.

There are a few things that those three get into that that shows them blindly following the party line. This Shiavo thing is a great example. I've had to turn Sean off a lot lately as he sounds just as bad as the "awful liberals" he professes so much hatred for... blind following of the party line.

You know who I really enjoy? Boortz. Boortz is very entertaining and makes a lot of good points.

The important thing is to take these guys as entertainers, not experts. Rush makes a lot of good points, Savage does... Boortz does... hell, even AL FRANKEN has. Take 'em for what their worth and form your own opinions.

-Jeff

CoachChuckDickerson  Mar 23 2005, 04:33 PM Post #37 

Pedro offers you his protection.

Group: Members

Member No.: 4,900

Unless you live or have lived in the south, you really have no idea how bizzare it can get.

A prime example is North Carolina. No state lottery. Schools massively underfunded. Recently our Governor, Mike Easley, was out trying to drum up support for a State Lotto. While visiting a church a member of the congregation approached the governor stating he and the rest of the church felt that gambling was a sin and would never vote for or take part in the devils work.

The really funny part of the story, he was trying to sell the governor a raffle ticket at the time.

The problem out here in California, a state with a state lotto, is that all the money that goes to the schools is wasted on special interests. Money is not what solves problems for the schools. It's the lack of discipline.

2. Been there, done that.  I've been here for 8 years or so now.  I'm kind of sick of it.  I haven't "fit in" completely and I still feel like a fish out of water. Not fun any longer, no sir.  Time for a change. Be it NY again, Denver, California... anywhere!

-Jeff

288116[/snapback]

I don't know that you'll ever "fit in". Been here 11 years longer than you and I don't think it will ever feel like "home". Suburban Atlanta is in such a state of constant change and growth, you never feel like you have a solid foundation to get your emotional footing. Because of the stress from traffic and limited leisure time, we haven't established too many close friendships in the area. That's what is really missing in our lives. Buffalo was a very social and communal place. It ain't like that here. Anywhere in Buffalo, you could go into the local gin mill, strike up a conversation or two, and have 4 upside shot glasses sitting in front of you representing drinks bought by your new aquaintances. Around here, wveryone is too damned tired on Friday after a long work week, and after Saturday chores, you just want to kick back at night and watch a movie with the Mrs.

Been in your shoes, having a desire to exit the area, but the question is always "so where we gonna go?" Buffalo will always feel like home, but I have to ask myself if that's only a nostalgic feeling of security from my carefree days growing up there. I have fond memories, BUT there was a reason I left. It's convenient to forget that the economy sucked 19 years ago, and it's probably even worse today.

So where are you going? Colorado? California? Suburban DC? Florida? They all have their pros and cons. Most of the desireable areas in those states have outrageously high land and housing costs. Much of Atlanta is still relative low.

If you drive around Marietta or Kennesaw, you don't often see a new subdivision with houses starting at under $500,000 anymore. I think it's because there are a lot of people who were living in the previously mentioned areas, and sold their 1,800 SF bungalows for half a million, and were able to move here and buy a damn mansion in the Atlanta 'burbs. That said, you can still buy a very nice home for under $200,000 in most areas of the Atlanta 'burbs. How much house could you get in Boulder, Co or McLean, VA?

Not much compared to here.

If money weren't an issue, I wouldn't mind being in the Buffalo area, but damn if it isn't depressing as all hell. Almost everytime you look at the Buffalo News it's bad news about the local economy. Have you ever noticed how negative people are there? Don't know that I blame them all that much.

It just pisses me off when I think that I could own a home outright in the Amherst area, and still be paying in excess of $500/month in property and school taxes. Were I retired and on a fixed income, that would be a tremendous drain on my savings.

On the other hand, I could be retired here in Cherokee County, GA, and pay something like $250 A friggin YEAR (due to the tax break you get at retirement age).

Once all the post WWII couples in Buffalo are dead and/or gone, who's going to be there to maintain the tax base and economy? I often wonder what percentage of people who were born and raised in Buffalo since the mid 70-s have stayed. I'd be surprised if it's more than half. Everytime I speak with my parents' friends who are their age, they speak of their children in Georgia, Florida, etc. Few, if any, have all their kids still living in Buffalo. Too many with career aspirations move on.

So Jeff - where are you going?