seeking: lake erie cottage to rent

either in canada (crystal beach), angola or sunset bay

this probably should be on another board but TSW gets the most looks.

we will be coming home for vacation in early august and instead of staying with my bro in law we thought it would be more fun to stay at a cottage and have people visit us.

anyone know of a cottage for rent or any other info would be most helpful. thanks

we will be coming home for vacation in early august and instead of staying with my bro in law we thought it would be more fun to stay at a cottage and have people visit us.

anyone know of a cottage for rent or any other info would be most helpful. thanks

284826[/snapback]

JOHNNYFAIRPLAY would have been the exact person to ask this question. Unfortunately, he was banned.

284826[/snapback]

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!--DO NOT!!! i repeat do NOT get ANYTHING sight unseen.I made that HUGE mistake a few years ago.

I would avoid angola--because the beach is dirty/cruddy/deadfish slime ridden.I would go for Canada first.......

284826[/snapback]

I live @ Crystal Beach from middle of May till Octber 1st. I live in the old amusement park. It is a gated complex. When you say Crystal Beach is this what mean?

http://www.virginiasbeach.com/

The site above is a cottage rental/campground thing...I don't know much about it, but I remember coming across it a few days ago.

Like someone else said...the Finger Lakes region is much nicer in the summer than Lake Erie. I love Erie, but the Finger Lakes region just seems cleaner and everything. I am a college student who just moved up here to the Finger Lakes region, but I have a family cottage in Ripley on the shore of Erie, so I know both areas pretty well.

Chautauqua is pretty boring. :blink:

http://www.virginiasbeach.com/

The site above is a cottage rental/campground thing...I don't know much about it, but I remember coming across it a few days ago.

Like someone else said...the Finger Lakes region is much nicer in the summer than Lake Erie. I love Erie, but the Finger Lakes region just seems cleaner and everything. I am a college student who just moved up here to the Finger Lakes region, but I have a family cottage in Ripley on the shore of Erie, so I know both areas pretty well.

Chautauqua is pretty boring. :huh:

285193[/snapback]

Where in the Finger Lakes Region?

I live @ Crystal Beach from middle of May till Octber 1st. I live in the old amusement  park. It is a gated complex. When you say Crystal Beach is this what mean?

285134[/snapback]

The good old days. French fries at the beach and my free Crystal Beach Tickets from Bells (????) the number based upon my grades from PS 66 reportcard !!!! The Comet and my favorite suckers. Great memories !!!!

Aah...sherkston....

Anybody else ever go there and camp on the beach and walk from party to party / bonfire to bonfire??? As an 18 year old, those were good good times.

285112[/snapback]

Yeah, I had some good memories of Sherkston as well...until I tried to go back in 1996. I decided to bring my whole family to this fun beach where I used to hang out.

My first shock came when the admission was something like $20 per person!!! Well it's a bit steep, but what the heck...we drove a long way to get there. Well once in the park, we drove looking for a space to park and throw our towel down...and we drove...and we drove. 45 minutes later, we covered every square inch of the beach only to discover there wasn't a postage stamp square of beach left to enjoy!

So I went back to the office and asked for a refund...and they refused. I was livid. They charged me $60 to drive around their oversold private beach. I accused them of deliverately overselling admissions to rip people off. They laughed at me.

So that's my last memory of Sherkston Beach. They may have ripped off in 1996, but I will have my revenge if I can keep any of you from going there. But if you do go, the manager was some Aussie wanker. If he's still there, tell him he's a freakin' A-hole.

PTR

I'm not going to be a lot of help here, but west of the major finger lakes there are some smaller lakes. We always called them the bably fingers when I leved near there. Conesus lake is small and pleasant, and probably less expensive. I like Keuka Lake. I think that's cleaner than Canandaigua which is built up more. There are other lakes further east. Seneca is the largest. I've been to a beautiful camp on Owasco lake, but that was in March, so I couldn't get a good feel for what the lake was like in warm weather. I'm at the north end of Chautaqua Lake now. Great Muskie and walleye fishing. Findley Lake in the extreme western end of NY is a pleasant vacation spot and lots of houses/cottages for rent. It's a sleepy little town, but you're not too far from Chautauqua Institution or the City of Erie, PA if you need to shop or something.

Why Lake Erie Robert?

You live in a great state. WI is so pretty. Why not head north to the Apostle Islands or into the UP? I always wanted to see Isle Royale in Lake Superior. The Boundary Waters would be great, if not rustic.

Or else... You can just take the skip into the middle of the state and do the WI Dells!... ONLY KIDDING!

Anyway, good luck in finding something nice.

The good old days.  French fries at the beach and my free Crystal Beach Tickets from Bells (????) the number based upon my  grades from PS 66 reportcard !!!!  The Comet and my favorite suckers.  Great memories !!!!

285281[/snapback]

Ah, the suckers. Lemon suckers, with real pieces of lemon in them and the cinnamon ones...... My sisters and I used to live for the suckers....

I still Remember my first rides on the Giant, and then the Comet roller coasters with my Dad. Good times....good times...

Nothing like good old Kenmore day at Crystal Beach ........sigh....

Why Lake Erie Robert?

You live in a great state.  WI is so pretty.  Why not head north to the Apostle Islands or into the UP?  I always wanted to see Isle Royale in Lake Superior.  The Boundary Waters would be great, if not rustic.

Or else... You can just take the skip into the middle of the state and do the WI Dells!... ONLY KIDDING!

Anyway, good luck in finding something nice.

285535[/snapback]

both our families all live in buffalo. we make the pilgramage back home 1-2 x/year. thought we could kill 2 birds with one stone.

there are a lot of nice place 'up in da nort wuds der'

Ah, the suckers. Lemon suckers, with real pieces of lemon in them and the cinnamon ones...... My sisters and I used to live for the suckers....

I still Remember my first rides on the Giant, and then the Comet roller coasters with my Dad. Good times....good times...

Nothing like good old Kenmore day at Crystal Beach ........sigh....

285544[/snapback]

We used to go to Kenmore day every year, they still sell the suckers (Halls) in and around the area. We still have a cottage up there near Crystal Beach (ours is in Ridgeway) but its a mile from the beach.

There are plenty of rentals on the beach in Crystal beach, just hit some of the real estate websites for the area. most rentals are about 600-700 for a week on the beach, a little cheaper if you go off the beach. I'd offer ours, but the family takes turns and I have no idea what the availability is, plus my sisters will immediately say the week you wanted is the week they were thinking of going, happens to me all the time.

Aah...sherkston....

Anybody else ever go there and camp on the beach and walk from party to party / bonfire to bonfire??? As an 18 year old, those were good good times.

They were great times as a 42 year old as well. <_<