How different would discussions be if the games were fun & Bills had an Offense?

A different take, but yes much of the same when it comes to me and watching the Bills.  

The league is built on offense.  The main reason ratings are up and the league is so successful is that the game is fun to watch, because there is OFFENSE.  People play fantasy football and betting sites like Fanduel is to see stats and players score points.

The best pick every week for a Defense is whoever is playing the Bills.

Yes we have our Old School guard who are all about the Defense and lament what's become of the ground & pound game and those who will tell you that a 9-6 Buffalo win is all that matters and you're welcome to comment all you want.

So the question is if McDermott did not dismantle the Offence and actually had the know how and hired a competent OC and this team was at least scoring points and games were competitive and still a 2-5 team, how would the threads look?   

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

It would be like the 90's teams I grew up loving. The K-Gun offense was like watching a 2 min drive all game long and it was exciting and truly innovative. Then Kelly retired and someone decided the Bills should be a cold weather team that runs the ball and plays good defense. Horrible

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

A different take, but yes much of the same when it comes to me and watching the Bills.  

The league is built on offense.  The main reason ratings are up and the league is so successful is that the game is fun to watch, because there is OFFENSE.  People play fantasy football and betting sites like Fanduel is to see stats and players score points.

The best pick every week for a Defense is whoever is playing the Bills.

Yes we have our Old School guard who are all about the Defense and lament what's become of the ground & pound game and those who will tell you that a 9-6 Buffalo win is all that matters and you're welcome to comment all you want.

So the question is if McDermott did not dismantle the Offence and actually had the know how and hired a competent OC and this team was at least scoring points and games were competitive and still a 2-5 team, how would the threads look?   

The offense was poor when McD got here and it is even worse now. We do not have a QB. Until we get one we will be an after thought in the league. 

DEFENSE can win championships but you need some competence on offense 

Yes, the threads would have better tone if we were winning, that goes which any team. 

19 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

It would be like the 90's teams I grew up loving. The K-Gun offense was like watching a 2 min drive all game long and it was exciting and truly innovative. Then Kelly retired and someone decided the Bills should be a cold weather team that runs the ball and plays good defense. Horrible

I'm with you on this one....Watching the Kelly era spoiled some of us...We were a scoring machine every sunday...we saw a juggernaut on sundays that every team feared to play.

Now I watch and I think "what the hell highschool team is this?"....seriously....we look JV compared to the rest :(

I feel this season has proven more than years past, defense wins mediocrity, offense wins championships. The Bills had a top 3 ranked defense last week and were 2-4. Currently rank top 10 and are 2-5. The vaunted Baltimore defense and their average offense have been beat in two consecutive weeks by good offensive performances. Jacksonville Jaguars were a team built on defense, they suck. Yet if you have a poor to average defense (Patriots, Saints, Chiefs) combined with a great offense, you are winning a lot of games.  

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The offense was not poor at all when McDermott got here.

He turned a solid unit into what has been one of the worst units in the history of the league in many, many years. 

Yeah right, all those points that  Tyrod and Watkins piled up, how could I forget that.  

Below average offense before Wrecks, especially against a good defense, to the worst in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The point for me is that even if the Bills were 2-5 and struggling, I'd enjoy watching the team and engaged, vs. watching because I've been doing so since '72 and knowing as soon as down 10+ really no chance. 

Yep....for years I've felt like that....see a team go up 1-2 touchdowns and dread the rest of the game

4 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Yeah right, all those points that  Tyrod and Watkins piled up, how could I forget that.  

Below average offense before Wrecks, especially against a good defense, to the worst in the NFL. 

They had a strong running game with Roman early on. Probably the best offense we've had in that span. But it was limited certainly, and we have such short memories that we don't seem to remember Tyrod's ability as a a passing threat got worse every year, it was almost like it was correlated with losing his recievers bit by bit over 2 or 3 years and Tyrod isn't a good enough QB to have limited recievers not suited to his only skill set of making broken plays or having great route runners that make the read easy for him.

But to see this staff in the offseason further dismantle the Offense (after what they did in 2017), draft a "franchise" qb, who I have no idea whether he'll be good or bad over this small sample size, but regardless as soon as the only option to Peterman was another useless QB AJ McCarron, I gave up on this coaching staff.  Fitz, Bradford, Tyrod, Bridgewater or a plethora of competent veteran back-ups were available and the Bills spat in the face of fans and did nothing.

Yet there is a vocal faction here who believes "the Process" crap and look forward to 2025.....

At least with Rex the games were at least watchable.

31 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The offense was poor when McD got here and it is even worse now. We do not have a QB. Until we get one we will be an after thought in the league. 

DEFENSE can win championships but you need some competence on offense 

Yes, the threads would have better tone if we were winning, that goes which any team. 

We were 10th in points and 16th in yards the year before mcd got here. I wouldn't call that poor.  We dropped to 22nd in pts and 29th in yards Mcds first year. I'd call that poor. 

• Like (+1) 1

We are down three and you know the game is over because there is little to no chance we can score,  that's pathetic and inexcusable. Not only does that suck the life out of the fans, it sucks the life out of our defense.  No matter how well they do, it will never be enough.

Edited by BillsRdue

30 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

We are down three and you know the game is over because there is little to no chance we can score,  that's pathetic and inexcusable. Not only does that suck the life out of the fans, it sucks the life out of our defense.  No matter how well they do, it will never be enough.

Interesting point of conversation.....  

Now conversely if a defense sux, do we say that about the offense?  Some of the worst defenses are saved by great offenses.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The point for me is that even if the Bills were 2-5 and struggling, I'd enjoy watching the team and engaged, vs. watching because I've been doing so since '72 and knowing as soon as down 10+ really no chance. 

Yeah, I don't really mind that the Bills are 2-5, I mind that in 4 (soon to be 5?) of those losses, they basically didn't show up.  It's depressing to watch.  Chan's 3-13 season was much more entertaining.  I think we started 0-8, but we were competitive in most or all of those games.  And for the record, I'd probably take our current receivers (including Clay and Shady out of the backfield) over that team's receivers.  It's at least close.  Stevie and Chandler were the only guys who really belonged in the NFL, and Chandler probably should've been a backup.

• Like (+1) 1

For me personally, I'd be having more fun if we were actually scoring even if we were still losing.  

I loved, for example, watching OJ play even when the playoffs were out of reach.  For sheer fun, watching a good offense is better than watching a good defense.  Besides, if your offense can score, there's always hope that you can catch up.  

40 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Interesting point of conversation.....  

Now conversely if a defense sux, do we say that about the offense?  Some of the worst defenses are saved by great offenses.

After watching fitz"not"magic throw picks all game instead of running for the first down to keep the offense on the field. Fitz seemed to think he is actually a good qb lmao... Instead of a journey man. Was way worse then watching this young stud J. Allen come of age before my very eyes.

I was always screaming at Ty"god" throw the freaking ball. Even i could see the wrs open and tyrod still wouldn't throw it then ty"god" would stand there staring down one reciever before taking a unnecessary sack while i scream take off and run ty"god" .

No thanks those other years were unbearable. When J. Allen plays the bills are electric imo.