BIlls want Shelton & a pick or swap 2nds

PIZ

CLAYTON

March 22, 2005

Oh, Henry: Bills still undecided

The Bills remain reluctant to make a one-for-one trade involving Bills running back Travis Henry for Cardinals offensive lineman L.J. Shelton. They want more from the Cardinals, either switching positions in the second round of the draft or having the Cardinals add a draft choice. In Arizona, it's Henry for Shelton and that's it.

"Obviously we don't feel that way right now," Bills coach Mike Mularkey said for a straight swap. "We've done a lot of research and a lot of film study, but right now we're still looking."

Henry is threatening not to show up for training camp if he's not traded.

"I know he's frustrated and he's frustrated because he's competitive," Mularkey said. "He wants to be a starter and he wants his chances to be a starter. We have done everything we can to really honor his request for a trade. You have to understand we're not going to do that for everybody."

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love this - TD is playing hardball as I think he should.

New England's ripoff trade of the Bengals last year is probably causing us some trouble since Green may be trying to let that stupid trade (Dillon ior a 2nd rounder) set the standard for a Pro Bowl RB.

Fortunately, TD knows that we can keep Travis no problem - he only costs $1.25 mil and he would be backing up a RB less than two years removed from an ACL tear.

Travis' threatened holdout is a factor but his impatience is probably only going to make the deal less likely. Too bad he is dumber than dogdirt. But he's a very good RB and thank goodness TD knows this!

By the way, Travis' threat to cause problems inthe locker room IF he decides to show up if the trade falls through is an empty threat. There is no such thing as a RB controversy. He either plays well when he is handed the rock or he doesn't - same goes for Willis. WIllis thrives on competition. Travis???...not so much.

Travis will simply get beaten up in the locker room if he trys to sow dissension.

Am I the only one who believes Shelton will be a Bill soon, after reading everything the last couple of days ? I don't assume facts but reading between the lines, one can surmise :

1. The Bills currently are the only bidder for Shelton. Knowing this, TD is playing hardball.

2. Direct face to face talks happened the last couple of days at the NFL Hawaii meetings. The interest is there.

3. Bills don't seem to be in any hurry to sign a Guard, with the limited cap room. Henry counts roughly 1.25 Mil towards the Cap. Shelton would count 3 Mil. Bills are roughly 2 Mil, maybe more, under. Sheltons' salary,once here, would probably leave us with a Mil or less in cap space.

4. Bills could draft a Guard in Round 2 or 3, a deep position in the 2005 Draft.

Let's see if this plays out.

What position does Arizona pick in Rnd 2?

284250[/snapback]

The Cards have the 14th pick of the round, which is the 44th overall pick. It would be a jump of 11 spots for the Bills, who now have the 23rd pick of the round, which is the 55th overall pick.

The 38th overall pick currently belongs to Oakland, according to NFL.com.

14th pick of the round, which is the 44th pick overall. It would be jump of 11 spots for the Bills.

284273[/snapback]

I'm not sure it's their 2nd rounder the Bills are even after. Something tells me that the Cardinals are not that happy with Henry's agent going public, either. Agents have been known to get fired over stuff like this, but I doubt Travis has it in him.

I really like the "swapping of 2nd round picks" option... this would give us the 44th pick instead of 55th.

At 44th, we might be looking at Baas, OG-C / Terry, OT / Barnes, OT / Spencer, C...

This sounds pretty good...

I'm even willing to give AZ our 2006 6th round pick for their trouble...

Later,

Pat

Hmmmm, interesting. After film review, the Bills don't think that a Henry for Shelton swap is an equal trade. What they're basically asking for with the swap of 2nd's is Henry for Shelton plus a pick equal to the first/second pick of the 4th round. Doesn't sound like the Bills think all that highly of Shelton after all.

New England's ripoff trade of the Bengals last year is probably causing us some trouble since Green may be trying to let that stupid trade (Dillon ior a 2nd rounder) set the standard for a Pro Bowl RB.

284177[/snapback]

rich, I have to differ with you here. The B'gals used that choice to pick FS Madieu Williams, of Maryland. He had an extremely productive rookie season.

His stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493118