Honeymoon planning

scribo

Sandals is widely known as the McResort of the islands. I know people that like them, though.

I’m getting married in late July and am currently trying to plan the honeymoon. We are pretty sure that we want to go to a Sandals Resort in the Caribbean. Nice beaches and good food are our two main requirements.

Has anyone here been to any Sandals down there? I’ve checked out some Web sites that post reviews and such, but I wanted to ask here if anyone has any firsthand experiences — good or bad?

283646[/snapback]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. That is something we're taking into account. The St Lucia Sandals is couples only.  We're looking at things to do off the resort as well.

283717[/snapback]

OK - then go to the US Virgin Islands. Jamaica is nice, we have been there 3 times, but the off-resort stuff is kind of not nice. Not as bad as Mexico, but still pretty nasty.

We loved St. Thomas when we were there. We went off the resort all the time, and it was great. Took a ferry to St. John which was AMAZING and went on some very nice tours. We also took a kayak tour of a mangrove lagoon and it was wonderful.

I don't remember the name of the place we stayed for our honeymoon in St. Thomas, but it was nice.

I went to Bermuda and loved it.

283655[/snapback]

That's where Teresa and I honeymooned. Expensive but worth every penny. Our favorites places were Horseshoe and Elbow Beach and The Frog and Onion Pub at the Royal Naval Dockyard. St George's was pretty cool too. I can't wait to go back.

I’m getting married in late July and am currently trying to plan the honeymoon. We are pretty sure that we want to go to a Sandals Resort in the Caribbean. Nice beaches and good food are our two main requirements.

Has anyone here been to any Sandals down there? I’ve checked out some Web sites that post reviews and such, but I wanted to ask here if anyone has any firsthand experiences — good or bad?

283646[/snapback]

Since nobody has said it, I will.

DONT DO IT!!!

Just kidding, have fun............ :lol:

My wife and I got married in August of 03' We went our on Honeymoon in early Dec. of 03'. We took a Carnival Cruise out of New Orleans to Jamaice, Grand Caymen and Cozmel and it was fantastic.

Be careful going to the Caribbean during the late summer because its Hurricane season. You should be ok prior to mid-August but you could still see one. Up until October, hurricanes are rare in very southern Caribbean but they do happen.

Make sure whatever you do you relax. A honeymoon should be different than a vacation especially if you go right after you got married. You will want the quiet down time.

My sisters both went to St. Lucia and loved it. The island doesn't draw that many tourists and it is quiet and peaceful. I loved the Cruise because everything is taken care of for you.

Good luck and enjoy!

If you're looking to get "away," I'd suggest St. John. Estate Concordia to be precise: http://www.maho.org/Estate.cfm

You have to be able to live without TV/radio, and live with the only phone being a pay phone. But it was bliss.

We split our honeymoon. Spent a few days at Disney World to release the stress and then went to St. John to just chill...worked out well.

283646[/snapback]

NO firsthand experience at Sandals, though I've been to the Caribbean more times than I can count. I just never got into the all inclusive thing, as we like to go out and explore the feel of the Island. Best Sandals Island is probably Jamaica, but you definitely do not want to venture off resort in Jamaica. Sandals on St Lucia and Antigua, but Jamaica beaches are better than those two. You can't go wrong with tha Caribbean IMHO. :lol:

I'm getting married early July...my fiance has her heart set on a 7 day western caribbean royal carib cruise...so that's what we're doing

284102[/snapback]

You guys will have a great time. They really know how to take care of you on the ships. For example, when we first boarded our Alaskan cruise, they had glasses of champaign. You take a glass, then meet up with a staff member who will show you to your room. We finished our champaign waiting for the elevator and saw an empty tray across the room so were going to put our glasses over there. As soon as we made a move towards it, the guy who was going to show us to our room said, "No, I'll do that," took the glasses and went to put them on the tray... It was weird, but kinda cool I guess. :P

You'll see people cleaning the ship all the time, and anytime you pass by they'll stop, say, "Hello sir," and when you've passed will continue cleaning. Again, weird, but kinda cool.

You might want to check out http://www.cruisecritic.com for information. The "boards" section is very good as well. If you have questions, post 'em there and you get good answers. You can also see if anyone else is going on the same ship as you (they throw a "Cruise Critic" party on board if they get enough people), and you can ask questions about the specific ship, the different ports, etc, etc. Excellent resource, we used it heavily while planning our Alaskan cruise.

CW

Best Sandals Island is probably Jamaica, but you definitely do not want to venture off resort in Jamaica.

284078[/snapback]

I see a lot of people have that opinion. To me, the best part of Jamaica was that our cab driver/tour guide took us off the beaten path after we told him we wanted to get some authentic non-touristy jerk chicken. He took us to his home, a modest little shack in the mountains that overlooked Dunns River Falls and the sea, and fed us some that his wife had been making. For the cynics out there, I offered him money, but he and his wife wouldn't take it. He said too few tourists appreciate "real" Jamaica, and this was his way of exposing us to "Jamaican hospitality mon."

He took us through some areas that were pretty rough, but he seemed to know damn near everybody, and we felt quite safe. Getting off the beaten track and away from the tourist traps are something Teresa and I like to do. What's the point of visiting a place if you can't see what it's really like?

283646[/snapback]

One more thing to consider. " Hurricane season "

Best place for a honeymoon? Port Douglas area, north of Cairns, in northen Australia. "Where the Rain Forest meets the Reef".

You can even stay in a resort that has cabins high in the trees!

284002[/snapback]

I'va always wanted to go to Australia. It looks beautiful.

Got any good tips?

What's the point of visiting a place if you can't see what it's really like?

284164[/snapback]

Exactly! You can't experience different cultures if you stay within the resort community.