Honeymoon planning

scribo

I’m getting married in late July and am currently trying to plan the honeymoon. We are pretty sure that we want to go to a Sandals Resort in the Caribbean. Nice beaches and good food are our two main requirements.

Has anyone here been to any Sandals down there? I’ve checked out some Web sites that post reviews and such, but I wanted to ask here if anyone has any firsthand experiences — good or bad?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw Sandals.

Wanna go to the Caribbean? Go to St. Lucia and stay here. Wifey and I got married there, and went back a couple of years ago. 350 acres, private beach, stay in your own villa with hottub instead of a hotel room. You never, ever have to leave because they bring you everything.

I’m getting married in late July and am currently trying to plan the honeymoon. We are pretty sure that we want to go to a Sandals Resort in the Caribbean. Nice beaches and good food are our two main requirements.

Has anyone here been to any Sandals down there? I’ve checked out some Web sites that post reviews and such, but I wanted to ask here if anyone has any firsthand experiences — good or bad?

283646[/snapback]

The wife and I went to a Sandals Resort in Jamaca for our honeymoon. Top notch. They really go above and beyond the call of duty. Make sure you get a room with a butler. You won't be sorry.

Nice choice. I love Halifax.

283657[/snapback]

The fiance wanted to avoid it because she didn't want to do a city. But I saw that it had some cool stuff, like a Atlantic Ocean Museum. So I talked her into it...any other suggestions?

I Spent 3 night in Las Vegas, 1 night in the Grand Canyon, 1 night in Phoenix and 3 nights more in San Francisco. 8 nights in all averaging $1,000.00 spent per day. My honeymoon was the bomb! :lol:

I've been to Beaches Sandy Bay (a Sandles resort) in Jamaica. I'd recommend Beaches Negril - it's just down the street and has a lot less kids. However, I got tired of just eating and drinking and wish we had ventured out more and explored the island.

We went to London (and Amberley) on our honeymoon... Doesn't sound like the kind of trip you're looking for though. :lol:

Seriously though, consider a cruise. I took one to Alaska and it was great. A coworker of mine just went to the Carribean and loved it. They take GREAT care of you on the ship -- free room service if you want it, nice fancy dinners, great food pretty much all day long, pools, rock climbing walls, ice rinks, etc on the ship. You stop in port pretty much every day and then spend 10-12 hours in each city, swimming with the dolphins, scuba diving, laying on the beach, golfing, fishing, etc. It's great.

Cruises are a lot like all inclusive resorts, only they move from place to place so you can see different things. It's amazing, and pretty cheap when you add up how much you'd spend for hotel and food on land.

I didn't think I'd like the cruise because I thought it'd be boring and dull (except for the cities). I was wrong though. ;) There's a reason that something like 90% of people who try one cruise do another one in the future.

CW

I got tired of just eating and drinking and wish we had ventured out more and explored the island.

283679[/snapback]

We spent seven nights and eight days in St. Lucia and I have to say I got tired of just eating and drinking all day, too...somewhere about the end of the eighth day as we were boarding our plane. :lol:

The fiance wanted to avoid it because she didn't want to do a city. But I saw that it had some cool stuff, like a Atlantic Ocean Museum. So I talked her into it...any other suggestions?

283670[/snapback]

The port area is quite nice. Docked there is the Bluenose II Sloop, the reconstruction of the original that adorns Canadian dimes. There's a German restuarant - looks like a residential house, somewhere around there that has exquisite cuisine.

The restuarents in general are quite good. The town's demanor its nice - little "in-your-face" stuff, if you know what I mean.

You are close to the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick.- that's the one that rises and falls 40 feet with the tides - a must-see.

Don't miss Peggy's Cove - a stormy crag in the north. Very picturesque, and a good place to buy a lobster dinner if you like it - it's relatively cheap.

South of and next to Halifax is Dartmouth - one of the major Canadian ports and home of the Canadian Navy's Atlantic fleet.

Visit Prince Edward Island (Province), also. And New Brunswick.

I strongly recommmend the Prince George Hotel in downtown Halifax. Site:

http://www.princegeorgehotel.com/

General Halifax info:

http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

I've been to Beaches Sandy Bay (a Sandles resort) in Jamaica.  I'd recommend Beaches Negril - it's just down the street and has a lot less kids. However, I got tired of just eating and drinking and wish we had ventured out more and explored the island.

283679[/snapback]

Thanks. That is something we're taking into account. The St Lucia Sandals is couples only. We're looking at things to do off the resort as well.

283646[/snapback]

My wife and I stayed at CaP Jaluca in Anquilla for several days about 8 years ago. Fantastic if you want to just hang on the beach, drink, canoodle, and be generally relaxed. Anquilla is a very refined , proper British colony. Do not expect to be out parting till the wee hours.

However, there are some of the the coolest beach bars in the anchorages around the island. True beach bars, sand floors, bar, maybe 10 people, and a bartender to serve drinks.

Way cool place

http://www.capjaluca.com/

I've been to Beaches Sandy Bay (a Sandles resort) in Jamaica.  I'd recommend Beaches Negril - it's just down the street and has a lot less kids. However, I got tired of just eating and drinking and wish we had ventured out more and explored the island.

283679[/snapback]

Ours was a couples resort as well, The Royal Caribean. My advice is find a good travel agent. I did. They actually can get better rates than if you do the leg work yourself and book it.