Where are the Bills reporters?

...has been ok'd by the Arizona Cardinals and all we get are crickets on the front page of Two Bills Drive. This is big news because we were all told that the Cards squashed the deal when the trade talks broke down. Now we don't hear a peep outta these lazy Bills reporters. Has anyone heard anything on local radio out there in Bills land?

...has been ok'd by the Arizona Cardinals and all we get are crickets on the front page of Two Bills Drive. This is big news because we were all told that the Cards squashed the deal when the trade talks broke down. Now we don't hear a peep outta these lazy Bills reporters. Has anyone heard anything on local radio out there in Bills land?

283060[/snapback]

You're trusting this news because it came from Henry himself?

I'd be a little more patient...when it's really done, we'll hear about it from a legitimate source.

This has been mentioned before but make note that the Cardinals have publicly announced their starting offensive line for the 2005 season. It does not include Shelton. This means they now have a $3 mil per year backup lineman.

There is no way they will keep Shelton under these circumstances.

This means the Cardinals must either trade Shelton or release him.

The Bills can use Travis and he's cheap and only signed for one year. We don't HAVE to do anything.

This puts the Bills in the drivers seat UNLESS Shelton is really really really good. But if he were THAT good, why hasn't anyone offered the Cardies a first day draft pick for him? Huh Huh?

If the Cardinals want anything other than a 4th rounder or Travis, they wil have to up the ante.

Travis can complain all he wants but he is OUR commodity. The Bills would STUPID to give him away.

283060[/snapback]

the buffalo news article does not mention Henry's desire for a contract extension, or Arizona's desire to give one. Which party is wanting an extension - Henry or Arizona? Is that what is really holding up a deal? Maybe TD is waiting for that to play out?

This has been mentioned before but make note that the Cardinals have publicly announced their starting offensive line for the 2005 season. It does not include Shelton. This means they now have a $3 mil per year backup lineman.

There is no way they will keep Shelton under these circumstances.

This means the Cardinals must either trade Shelton or release him.

The Bills can use Travis and he's cheap and only signed for one year. We don't HAVE to do anything.

This puts the Bills in the drivers seat UNLESS Shelton is really really really good. But if he were THAT good, why hasn't anyone offered the Cardies a first day draft pick for him? Huh Huh?

If the Cardinals want anything other than a 4th rounder or Travis, they wil have to up the ante.

Travis can complain all he wants but he is OUR commodity. The Bills would STUPID to give him away.

283105[/snapback]

Really they announced they had set it, but noone knows who the right guard is. With both Clements and Shelton being authorized to get trades, there is speculation, who ever doesn't get traded is the right guard.

No but the front page did say the Cards were willing to deal TH for Shelton straight up!

TD that is not giving him away----GIT R DONE

283070[/snapback]

last i checked, henry is worth more than Shelton. we should also get a draft pick.

but i thaught henry wanted a 7 mil. signing bonus that teh cards didnt want to pay him. and thats what held up the deal.

if its a strait up trade player for player we are on the loosing side of that one.

the buffalo news article does not mention Henry's desire for a contract extension, or Arizona's desire to give one.  Which party is wanting an extension - Henry or Arizona?  Is that what is really holding up a deal?  Maybe TD is waiting for that to play out?

283130[/snapback]

If TH is so sure he is a 'great back', he should have no problem with playing out his contract with the Cards and being confident that his play will make them want him to sign a lucrative long term contract after that. Sounds to me like he is very insecure in his own abilities and wants to get as much guaranteed money as he can before he actualy has to play and earn it.

In my opinion, TD tipped his hand when he gave the following quote:

Asked about Shelton, Donahoe said, "He had a bit of a down year last season but he's played very well in the past and we think he's an attractive player."

Given the praises he has given in the past for TH, I'm basically thinking that this means TD really doesn't see Shelton as being worth the same as TH. A straight player-for-player trade is probably not enough for TD, and he's looking for a little more.

283105[/snapback]

The word I hear is that their were several reasons beyond assessment of Shelton's quality as a player that impacted the Cards decision not to keep him as their LT:

1. He apparently did not hit it off at all with new Coach Dennis Green who decided to rebuild the team in his image with his as the recognized Alpha-male regardless of the salary of the player (much like MM did with cut of Shaw- it did not make sense for the Bills financially as we had to pay him for a full season at that point regardless of if w cut him, an there was no word of him acting like a cancer or bein a negative to the team, but he did not develop a role as a contributor to this team as Aiken took the reserve role from him and MM cut hm rather than him show up, sit and draw a check. this sents a clear message to the team that everyone needed to contribute in MM's eyes or they were gone.

2. The Cards had Leonard Davis who gets a franchise level salary for his OL level play so losing your job to someone judged worthy of a top 10 salary does not necessarily mean you are bad.

3. Shelton was slowed by an injury last year and the Bills doc's examination will tell alot whether to count on this man as an athlete or not. On the good side, Shelton's nickname on the Cards was "The Last Man Standing" when a number of well paid player went down to injury and he was the only one who did not or simply was able to play through the nicks all NFL players get. If there is some tear which cannot be repaired he could be done (the docs will tell as they did with WM) but if his injury is simply a test of his character his rep bodes well.

The Bills will get him for a cap hit of $3 million (chump change for a starting LT) and as this is merely his base salary for several years out, this base salary can be converted into a bonus whiich gives him the advantege of getting the money up front and the Bills the advantage of pro-rating this pay over the length of his contract which would reduce his cap hit to as little as $1.25 million annually (lower than chump change as the average NFL cap hit salary is the $85 million/cap divided over the top 51 salaries or $1.6 million a head).

Ironically, i think the Bill might get a better deal assuming his old contract and just as NE subsidized the Bledsoe salary for the Bills AZ would be subsidizing Shelton's salary.

Really they announced they had set it, but noone knows who the right guard is.  With both Clements and Shelton being authorized to get trades, there is speculation, who ever doesn't get traded is the right guard.

283141[/snapback]

No. Green announced the line was set and it didn't include either Shelton or Clements. They are going with the two young guards and Green has stated as much a few times, which is part of the problem he caused for himself (and perhaps indirectly us with TD thinking he can get him cheaper).

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2666

No. Green announced the line was set and it didn't include either Shelton or Clements. They are going with the two young guards and Green has stated as much a few times, which is part of the problem he caused for himself (and perhaps indirectly us with TD thinking he can get him cheaper).

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2666

283307[/snapback]

I had heard rumor that the right guard was not set. I had have heard that if Shelton or Clements is not traded they will be playing there.

I had heard rumor that the right guard was not set.  I had have heard that if Shelton or Clements is not traded they will be playing there.

283313[/snapback]

I follow the Cards fairly close after living there a decade and going there a lot (plus my two favorite hoop and baseball teams are the Suns and D-Backs so I read the sports pages there everyday). They never talk about Clements it seems to me. I have never seen Green budge from his comments about the young guards but one never knows. I think Green cuts both if he doesn't trade for Shelton. He doesnt seem like a guy who cares what his players think. He can hang onto them to see if he can get a bite, or bigger bite, even though it is hurting the player. But what else is new in business, not necessarily just sports.

Every time Henry opens his mouth he sticks his whole leg in it. Why would anyone believe anything the guy says or his agent for that matter? If they had a lick of sense, they would sit patiently and realize that there is no possibility that the Bills bring Henry back. Henry spouting off only weakens the Bills position and makes it more difficult to work something out.

I follow the Cards fairly close after living there a decade and going there a lot (plus my two favorite hoop and baseball teams are the Suns and D-Backs so I read the sports pages there everyday).

283321[/snapback]

Is Shelton ready to play?

From the Buffalo News:

Shelton, 6-foot-6 and 335 pounds, underwent ankle and elbow surgeries last offseason and reported for training camp overweight. That got him into the doghouse of new Cards coach Dennis Green. Shelton rode the bench until the fourth game, when he shifted to right tackle. He started and played well every game until a sprained knee ended his year with three games to play.