For those that say McDermott is a younger jauron

Steptide

10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Edmunds - I like that he was hyper athletic and 20 years old. 

Phillips - My favorite pick of this last draft. 

Johnson - Nice.

McCloud/Neal/Teller - These guys have no +/- on really winning games in the NFL. Most likely these guys wash out of the league in a couple of years. 

Murphy - 2.5 sacks, projects to 7.5/year. Not bad for a #2 DE.

Star - Ok, a run stuffer from Carolina. Not cheap though. 

Ivory - A journeyman RB who has been around the league (Saints, Jets, Jags, Bills). Speaks to the nature of RB. 

McCarron - A flop, but agreed, they cut their loses quickly. 

Davis - Elected to not pay E.J. Gaines and Davis showed quickly he was on his last legs. 

So, overall you list guys on a 2-3 football team that is scoring 12.5 ppg and allowing 23.6 ppg. 

And you criticized their draft picks and FAs like they contribute nothing.  You are really just being absurd in your desire to be critical at this point.

I'm sold on McDermott as Head Coach.

The fact that he's won virtually every close game tells me something about his temperament. How long has it been since we've had a team that won close games? I don't believe that to be the result of luck.

The Jauron comparisons are nonsense. I have serious questions about the personnel decisions, but very few about McDermott, the coach.

I actually unfortunately agree with the McDermott/Jauron comparisons. There are some things I like more about McDermott...but the red flags are similar.

They're both extremely conservative. They both have no clue about the offense and it results in an incredibly bland product. If you're a coach that doesn't know much about one side of the ball, you have to be able to identify good coordinators. He's 0-2 right now. 

We heard so many of the same things during the Jauron era about how hard the team plays for him, and I remember a couple of late game comebacks from Trent Edwards during that 5-1 start that had so many fans say the same thing about how things were different with him and his "temperament". 

The head-scratching plays, like in the 2nd quarter on 1st and 10 in the Titans redzone where we gave a play away with that QB sneak because they thought Benjamin may have bobbled the catch...that was flat out embarrassing. It's fine to rush the play but you have to have something drawn up for a situation like that. This team is bad enough offensively, they can't just be giving away plays. Or the QB draw when we had 3rd and 22 at mid-field. Sorry but that's very Jauron-esque stuff. 

I hope I'm wrong, but what I've seen on the offensive side of the ball during his time here is frightening, and not in a good way. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I actually unfortunately agree with the McDermott/Jauron comparisons. There are some things I like more about McDermott...but the red flags are similar.

They're both extremely conservative. They both have no clue about the offense and it results in an incredibly bland product. If you're a coach that doesn't know much about one side of the ball, you have to be able to identify good coordinators. He's 0-2 right now. 

We heard so many of the same things during the Jauron era about how hard the team plays for him, and I remember a couple of late game comebacks from Trent Edwards during that 5-1 start that had so many fans say the same thing about how things were different with him and his "temperament". 

The head-scratching plays, like in the 2nd quarter on 1st and 10 in the Titans redzone where we gave a play away with that QB sneak because they thought Benjamin may have bobbled the catch...that was flat out embarrassing. It's fine to rush the play but you have to have something drawn up for a situation like that. This team is bad enough offensively, they can't just be giving away plays. Or the QB draw when we had 3rd and 22 at mid-field. Sorry but that's very Jauron-esque stuff. 

I hope I'm wrong, but what I've seen on the offensive side of the ball during his time here is frightening, and not in a good way. 

All I know is if we don't get this kid some real NFL wrs soon, it won't matter who is the OC....

37 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And you criticized their draft picks and FAs like they contribute nothing.  You are really just being absurd in your desire to be critical at this point.

I criticize McDermott's philosophy as too conservative, overly focused on Special Teams, and not prioritizing speed or playmaking, and overrating culture. To me, his plan to win games is Jauron, Marrone, Rexish. 

I criticize Beane for having his head stuck in Carolina and trying to copy the 2016 Panthers as his model. 

McDermott is 11-10 as a Head Coach. Being critical is not the same as grabbing a pitchfork and campaigning for the guy to get fired. They got us to the Playoffs last year, so they get the benefit of the doubt. It has bought them this year and next year. 

But oldmanfan we congratulate McDermott and Beane for 9-7 and 2-3 like they are actually building a super power. They may be, Allen may work out, but look at this roster on the offensive side of the ball. McCoy is 30, Clay is 29/30, Mills is your RT still,  Benjamin has 99 yards in 5 games, you have replacement level Bodine starting, holdover Mills is starting at RG, Zay Jones is a bust. 

There is a reason the team is scoring 12.5 ppg. 

All fans understand its not a finished product. 

But it is ok to look at the rest of the league and try to figure out whether this regime can compete with the better teams in the league during Playoff time. 

Josh Allen did throw for 82 yards yesterday. This is not a 5-0 football team above any sort of thought process. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I criticize McDermott's philosophy as too conservative, overly focused on Special Teams, and not prioritizing speed or playmaking, and overrating culture. To me, his plan to win games is Jauron, Marrone, Rexish. 

I criticize Beane for having his head stuck in Carolina and trying to copy the 2016 Panthers as his model. 

McDermott is 11-10 as a Head Coach. Being critical is not the same as grabbing a pitchfork and campaigning for the guy to get fired. They got us to the Playoffs last year, so they get the benefit of the doubt. It has bought them this year and next year. 

But oldmanfan we congratulate McDermott and Beane for 9-7 and 2-3 like they are actually building a super power. They may be, Allen may work out, but look at this roster on the offensive side of the ball. McCoy is 30, Clay is 29/30, Mills is your RT still,  Benjamin has 99 yards in 5 games, you have replacement level Bodine starting, holdover Mills is starting at RG, Zay Jones is a bust. 

There is a reason the team is scoring 12.5 ppg. 

All fans understand its not a finished product. 

But it is ok to look at the rest of the league and try to figure out whether this regime can compete with the better teams in the league during Playoff time. 

Josh Allen did throw for 82 yards yesterday. This is not a 5-0 football team above any sort of thought process. 

No it's not.  But they have short and long term goals. If things look like they're more influencinglong term you criticize them about short term things and vice versa

In short it appears you look for reasons to criticize.

On 10/8/2018 at 12:20 AM, SoTier said:

Get a clue.  Those comparing McDermott to Jauron aren't doing so because of a physical resemblance or similar demeanor. ?

Bend don't break defense. Running the ball is paramount. Allergic to acquiring offensive talent besides RBs/FBs. Getting most out of players that might not be the most talented. 

There's a point to it. 

On 10/8/2018 at 2:33 PM, LSHMEAB said:

I'm sold on McDermott as Head Coach.

The fact that he's won virtually every close game tells me something about his temperament. How long has it been since we've had a team that won close games? I don't believe that to be the result of luck.

The Jauron comparisons are nonsense. I have serious questions about the personnel decisions, but very few about McDermott, the coach.

I would suggest winning a close football game tells us exactly nothing about the head coach's temperament, or any other amorphous concept that only sports fans discuss but does not exist in reality. 

McDermott is incredibly conservative and a horrible in-game manager or tactician.  He routinely makes the wrong call in terms of when to punt or not, when to go for 2 or not, when to challenge or not.

His challenges are straight up horrible and should not be handled by the HC in any event.  

Is he a good motivator?  I don't know, I'm not on the inside, but he does seem to do well at that.  Does he earn the respect of his coaching staff?  Seems like it.

There are many things that go into being a HC in the NFL.  It's about 8 jobs in one.

My complaints with McD are his in-game field generalship, which is terrible, and his overall conservative disposition.

He's a traditionally thinking "football guy" and not the future of the sport.  I hate that.

Edited by Fadingpain