Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But don't you think this turns into a bit of a circle jerk? ACC teams are good because ACC teams are good, right?  Especially in basketball. mid-majors can put together teams that could compete with power conferences. But the elite conferences stay away because they can't risk getting beat, and they certainly won't leave home fr a game like that. 

the tournament gives ample opportunity for top mid-majors to show their stuff, it always has

but they are inflated in ranking because they will only play 1 or 2 top 50 teams in a given season

up to the mid-70s the mid-majors and the majors could only send one team, the tournament champion, which meant 2/3 of the draw was mid-majors

explains why UCLA meet a lot of nobodies in the Finals and rest of the tourny, some years getting out of the Pac 8 was the biggest challenge.

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

And we would expect you to behave in this fashion, so carry on being a turd and the rest of us will continue to ignore you.  Congrats.

You can lighten up as well.  It's not often something like this happens.  And it IS a forum full of Buffalo people, even if the thread is for Cuse fans.

Cheers and good luck the rest of the season.  Except when you're playing the Bulls (well, that's a moot point) or the Heels.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

You can lighten up as well.  It's not often something like this happens.  And it IS a forum full of Buffalo people, even if the thread is for Cuse fans.

Cheers and good luck the rest of the season.  Except when you're playing the Bulls (well, that's a moot point) or the Heels.

It’s a Bills forum with people from all over. I bet 70% don’t live in Buffalo. I do 

Half the city still doesn’t care about UB and can’t name 2 players .

It’s a Bills and Sabres town first. Then bisons and bandits ... then unfortunately UB

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

It’s a Bills forum with people from all over. I bet 70% don’t live in Buffalo. I do 

Half the city still doesn’t care about UB and can’t name 2 players .

It’s a Bills and Sabres town first. Then bisons and bandits ... then unfortunately UB

It's a shame you don't understand what I'm saying.  Buffalo has never been a college sports town -- that's why this is fun.  UB is changing the narrative.  And people from Buffalo ARE paying attention to what UB is doing.

10 minutes ago, eball said:

It's a shame you don't understand what I'm saying.  Buffalo has never been a college sports town -- that's why this is fun.  UB is changing the narrative.  And people from Buffalo ARE paying attention to what UB is doing.

Canisius and Niagara and the Bonnies were huge for hoops for many years.

Saying never, meaning only starting when you were 3 years old, isn't the best... :D

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Canisius and Niagara and the Bonnies were huge for hoops for many years.

Saying never, meaning only starting when you were 3 years old, isn't the best... :D

Sorry -- I meant in the modern era.  And Olean isn't exactly in Buffalo.  When I was growing up in Buffalo in the 70s nobody cared about local college sports.

Edited by eball

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Syracuse just has the worst looking offense I've seen, what is there identity?  Take turns going 1 on 1 which is the easiest thing in the world to defend. 

You could see they had more athletes than UB but UB knew what to do on offense and where to attack and move the ball around.  SU looks like 5 guys at the local YMCA..

This team is just maddening.

Relying on Howard to run the point with his questionable ball handling skills and poor shooting.  No backup on the roster,  hell we were yelling for Buddy to get some run as an alternative to Frank and Jalen.  Jalen is playing better but he is clearly not a pg. 

Brissett playing hero ball and clearly auditioning for the league.  He's playing well so I don't want to be too hard but dammit man hit some free throws.  He and Hughes look to be the only guys on the team that try for the entire game and hustle.

I liked Battle coming into this year but he just vanishes from the action for so long I forget he is on the floor until he takes one of those long 2s (worst shot in bball)

Chukwu, Dolezaj both look to have regressed this year.  Chukwu is SOFT and Dolezaj doesn't have that hustle that made him a fan favorite.  Sidibe hustles but clearly is lacking skill.

Crazy thing is I think they can get this turned around but I am not banking on it.  They need to gel and do some serious self reflection.  This wasn't a bad loss as UB has a good team but ODU was a bad loss.  Back to back losses left a really bad taste in my mouth.

18 minutes ago, eball said:

No I get what you’re saying. And 550 is paying attention and the BN but not the average joe

i have had seasons for years. 

I know a lot of people around town that will never care. It’s nothing personal 

How many people can say they were there day 1 in 1999 with season tickets ? I will tell you not many 

ive seen it all with UB . 

The realist point is they still have tons to prove over a period of years. They don’t bring Full houses for football weekly. Which they should be doing with their student body and play

I want them to become big boys on the block but they need more fan support and financial support 

51 minutes ago, eball said:

If I wanted any lip from you I’d scrape it off my zipper.  Why don’t you go tug your nuts?  ??

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Key word is mid majors can put together teams that can COMPETE ...

Outside of this 5 year stretch for UB, they cannot compete in the ACC in a full schedule... no MAC school could

If SU went into the MAC , outside of these few years with UB... they would run the table and go undefeated every year in the MAC

very few mid majors have had the long term success to compete in a major conference year in and out 

its a different animal

The power conferences are better but not as much as you think. It's not like football.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The power conferences are better but not as much as you think. It's not like football.

Yes they are a good amount better. And it’s not being disrespectful PTR. 

There is tons of basketball talent so it’s not as lopsided... but most of the pros and top teams come from big time conferences

No other MAC team would compete in the ACC besides UB.. and UB will probably go undefeated in the MAC

not 1 other MAC school would go .500 or better in ACC play

Bonnies went from great last year to not a tourney team. They wouldn’t win 5 games in the ACC

Mid Majors can put  together good seasons.. but very few string together 10+ years of consistency to make them big time... Gonzaga and Butler have and UB and Bonnie’s etc are not close yet as programs

They are on the right track but they aren’t Butler yet or Gonzaga 

Sure the A10 and some conferences put out good basketball, but they aren’t as good as the ACC or Big 10 or 12 etc

Edited by Buffalo716

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

No I get what you’re saying. And 550 is paying attention and the BN but not the average joe

i have had seasons for years. 

I know a lot of people around town that will never care. It’s nothing personal 

How many people can say they were there day 1 in 1999 with season tickets ? I will tell you not many 

ive seen it all with UB . 

The realist point is they still have tons to prove over a period of years. They don’t bring Full houses for football weekly. Which they should be doing with their student body and play

I want them to become big boys on the block but they need more fan support and financial support 

WNY area as a whole is a maddening college basketball region.  I don't understand why people don't get into college basketball more around here.  It is the best sport going imo.  But they were rather talk on sports radio about the 12th place Sabres(not this year but in recent years) that have no chance to make the playoffs when the calendar flips to March than the upcoming basketball tournament.  Once the mid major conference tournaments tip off, there is no better 4-5 week stretch on the sports calendar imo.   My MIL came over one night a few years ago & I had college hoops on.  She is like "why aren't you watching the Sabres it is so much more exciting."   So I flipped to the Sabres game, they were playing in NJ, you could hear a mouse fart it was so quiet.  Than I flipped on ESPN to the KU/Missouri game at the Fog, Musberger was calling the game & he starts saying "folks I have been doing this for 40 years, & I haven't heard a crowd this revved up before tipoff in a long time."  The place was off the hook.  Of course my MIL was too stupid to get the point but you see where I am getting at.  College Basketball around here is way down the totum pole.  I don't understand it.  The NCAA tournament is the best sporting even of the year & the first 2 days of the tournament(that Thurs & Fri) are my 2 favorite sports days of the year.  it never disappoints.  I went to Canisius for my grad school, but I am thrilled UB is having success.  It is good vibe for the area. 

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

WNY area as a whole is a maddening college basketball region.  I don't understand why people don't get into college basketball more around here.  It is the best sport going imo.  But they were rather talk on sports radio about the 12th place Sabres(not this year but in recent years) that have no chance to make the playoffs when the calendar flips to March than the upcoming basketball tournament.  Once the mid major conference tournaments tip off, there is no better 4-5 week stretch on the sports calendar imo.   My MIL came over one night a few years ago & I had college hoops on.  She is like "why aren't you watching the Sabres it is so much more exciting."   So I flipped to the Sabres game, they were playing in NJ, you could hear a mouse fart it was so quiet.  Than I flipped on ESPN to the KU/Missouri game at the Fog, Musberger was calling the game & he starts saying "folks I have been doing this for 40 years, & I haven't heard a crowd this revved up before tipoff in a long time."  The place was off the hook.  Of course my MIL was too stupid to get the point but you see where I am getting at.  College Basketball around here is way down the totum pole.  I don't understand it.  The NCAA tournament is the best sporting even of the year & the first 2 days of the tournament(that Thurs & Fri) are my 2 favorite sports days of the year.  it never disappoints.  I went to Canisius for my grad school, but I am thrilled UB is having success.  It is good vibe for the area. 

Of course it is.

but unfortunately cities are either pro or college sports towns and Buffalo has been behind the curve in college sports 

hopefully the tide is turning 

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Of course it is.

but unfortunately cities are either pro or college sports towns and Buffalo has been behind the curve in college sports 

hopefully the tide is turning 

Especially considering how affordable UB games are, not to mention family friendly. Compare the cost of taking a family to a Bills or Sabres game to a UB game. It's about 1/4 the price.

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Especially considering how affordable UB games are, not to mention family friendly. Compare the cost of taking a family to a Bills or Sabres game to a UB game. It's about 1/4 the price.

That is the one big thing it has going. Affordability and family friendly 

They did just start serving beer so maybe the student section will become more ruckus ?

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That is the one big thing it has going. Affordability and family friendly 

They did just start serving beer so maybe the student section will become more ruckus ?

I doubt it. Beers aren't  priced student-friendly. Besides don't they sell beer at the Dome too? Frankly I think selling beer is a great move. More revenue for athletics, and local fans are used to having beer available.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I doubt it. Beers aren't  priced student-friendly. Besides don't they sell beer at the Dome too? Frankly I think selling beer is a great move. More revenue for athletics, and local fans are used to having beer available.

I don’t think the NCAA allows alcohol to be sold in venues that are owned by the college/university.  Could be mistaken.  SU doesn’t own the Carrier Dome.  They lease it, essentially, even though it is on the hill.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t think the NCAA allows alcohol to be sold in venues that are owned by the college/university.  Could be mistaken.  SU doesn’t own the Carrier Dome.  They lease it, essentially, even though it is on the hill.

Actually the NCAA leaves it to the school's discretion now. UB started beer sales about a month ago. 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Colorado football sold beer, probably due to that brewery nearby.

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Actually the NCAA leaves it to the school's discretion now. UB started beer sales about a month ago. 

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Colorado football sold beer, probably due to that brewery nearby.

Beautiful!  I wonder when they changed the rule.