Worst injury you have ever had

Ice bowl 67

13 hours ago, bbb said:

Have any of you had gout in the knee?  My first bout with gout was in May - very painful in my big toe.............Now, I drank quite a bit last night - and I have a bad knee anyway, but now a few hours ago, it got stiff and slightly swollen.  Some pain, but not even close to the toe thing (yet).   So, I don't know if it's gout or just my bad knee getting worse?

I only get it in my big toes. But I’ve heard multiple people being effected in other areas. Knees. Fingers. Elbows. Etc. 

i take 800mg ibuprofen for the pain and it only works when the pain is fairly mild. 

Ive heard if you drink tart cherry juice it helps. Someone told me to drink a small glass every day and within weeks the gout will be gone. It doesn’t affect me every day so I don’t worry about that. But I have heard others swearing by tart cherry juice. One of the problems is that it’s so damn expensive for a bottle of tart cherry juice that you’d be spending $50 a month to drink some nasty crap every morning In hopes that it works. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

I only get it in my big toes. But I’ve heard multiple people being effected in other areas. Knees. Fingers. Elbows. Etc. 

i take 800mg ibuprofen for the pain and it only works when the pain is fairly mild. 

Ive heard if you drink tart cherry juice it helps. Someone told me to drink a small glass every day and within weeks the gout will be gone. It doesn’t affect me every day so I don’t worry about that. But I have heard others swearing by tart cherry juice. One of the problems is that it’s so damn expensive for a bottle of tart cherry juice that you’d be spending $50 a month to drink some nasty crap every morning In hopes that it works. 

I've used the cherry juice. It helps. I buy two big bottles for $5 at HEB (Texas grocery store.) Only need about a 5 oz Dixie cup every morning.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:33 PM, mrags said:

I had gout once - toe got sore and then I could barely walk - didn't know what happened until I was diagnosed - it was pretty painful.

Never heard of the tart cherry for gout, although it is touted for all sorts of health benefits. Best place to get tart cherry juice is Trader Joe's - big bottle is like $3.99 which is much better than any other place I have seen it.

Fielding grounds balls in the spring indoors in the gym. Coach liked to hit as hard as he could. Got lazy and put my throwing hand in front of my glove and the ball hit the tip of my index finger. Picked up the ball and threw it in only to see an arc of blood follow the throw. Didn't hurt, then.... Only a line of red under my fingernail. Went to the ER where doc squeezed the tip from the sides and I saw the bright white bone that was supposed to be within my finger pop out and with the nail now at a 90 degree angle. The pain came with the anesthetic when he jammed a needle under the nail. Repeatedly.... The worst pain I ever experienced. He ripped the nail off and sewed the skin back around the bone.  High ankle sprains, broken jaw, breaks, shot in the neck, nothing compared with that experience.

Edited by Bills Fan of Maryland

2 hours ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Fielding grounds balls in the spring indoors in the gym. Coach liked to hit as hard as he could. Got lazy and put my throwing hand in front of my glove and the ball hit the tip of my index finger. Picked up the ball and threw it in only to see an arc of blood follow the throw. Didn't hurt, then.... Only a line of red under my fingernail. Went to the ER where doc squeezed the tip from the sides and I saw the bright white bone that was supposed to be within my finger pop out and with the nail now at a 90 degree angle. The pain came with the anesthetic when he jammed a needle under the nail. Repeatedly.... The worst pain I ever experienced. He ripped the nail off and sewed the skin back around the bone.  High ankle sprains, broken jaw, breaks, shot in the neck, nothing compared with that experience.

I can only imagine how that felt.  I think I mentioned earlier in this post that I had my fingers crushed.  If I didn’t mention that, it’s up there for pain.  A manhole cover came down on my index and middle finger.  I don’t know if people are familiar with manhole covers, but this one is a lid for a 1000 gallon storage tank.  The cover sits flush against the wall, so when it came down, I’m surprised it didn’t cut my fingers off altogether.  It’s about 300-400 pounds.  So when it came down, naturally I ripped my fingers out from under it and it ripped the skin on the palm side of each finger, and the top of my middle finger.  Both nails are still black but still attached (this was last month).  But the pain from the dr sticking the needle in the wound was awful.  It felt like the needle was hitting the underside of my fingernail.  Awful.  So I sympathize with major finger injuries. 

Edited by billsfan5121
  • Sad 2

On 10/12/2018 at 11:36 AM, row_33 said:

Knee gout?  Geez...

sushi triggers my gout in toe only 

better be be worth it...

Maybe I shouldn’t assume everyone knows this..... gout usually occurs in the big toe during the night because it’s farthest from heart and your foot is the coolest point in the body. It gets...sludgy? The crystals settle there for that reason. Blood doesn’t flow as smoothly in the cold foot. Keep your feet warm at night! I wear socks every night, and when I stayed at my sisters for the Bills/Packers game I doubled up! It’s borderline winter there already. 

Also, exercise seems to help me a lot. (I hate winter!) 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:16 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've had it in literally any joint you can name. Usually, if I feel it coming on, I take Aleve and feel fine. Liquor or wine doesn't usually have an effect on me. Just beer. Even non alcoholic beer. 

Never heard of this, gonna have to try it. I've tried every prescription they can give for gout, and the only thing that helps is Aleve (or off brand). Ibuprofen helps in a pinch. DO NOT take Tylenol. That makes it worse. It's literally better to take nothing, than to take Tylenol for gout. 

I used to have bad flairups in my 20s.  Would not happen all the time but it would usually happen a few times a year & man it was debilitating.   People that have never had it have no idea of the pain.  Interesting enough I rarely got it in my big toe.  I have gotten it in my knee a few times.  The doctor put me on Allopurinal as a preventive treatment & that seems to be doing the trick.  I have been on that for years now & haven't had a flair up since.  Be careful with Allopurinol though.  When you first take it sometimes it causes an acute attack.  The doctor gave me this chi=olocine I believe & I had to take that once a day with the Allo for the first 30 days.  That offsets the attack.  Also, when I have an attack I have a prescription of Indomethisean which is an anti flammatory.  You got to be careful with that because it has serious side effect.  Tough on your liver & such.  I really have not had an attack in over 7-8 years though so haven't had a need to take it.  But my doctor always wants me to have a prescription handy.  Never take IBproffin witrh it either.  I guess that has bad effects.  

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

... I’m home with a bad migraine today. I don’t get bad pain mostly, but brilliant auras and a draining of all will and the good things of life.

That's not a migraine, that the Peterman effect.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Gordio said:

I used to have bad flairups in my 20s.  Would not happen all the time but it would usually happen a few times a year & man it was debilitating.   People that have never had it have no idea of the pain.  Interesting enough I rarely got it in my big toe.  I have gotten it in my knee a few times.  The doctor put me on Allopurinal as a preventive treatment & that seems to be doing the trick.  I have been on that for years now & haven't had a flair up since.  Be careful with Allopurinol though.  When you first take it sometimes it causes an acute attack.  The doctor gave me this chi=olocine I believe & I had to take that once a day with the Allo for the first 30 days.  That offsets the attack.  Also, when I have an attack I have a prescription of Indomethisean which is an anti flammatory.  You got to be careful with that because it has serious side effect.  Tough on your liver & such.  I really have not had an attack in over 7-8 years though so haven't had a need to take it.  But my doctor always wants me to have a prescription handy.  Never take IBproffin witrh it either.  I guess that has bad effects.  

This just reminded me to take my indomethisean.  They gave it to me in case my knee was gout, but they thought it was strained somehow...........Now that I'm not in much pain, I should probably just save the bottle in case I have gout again?  It's not like anti bioltics where I'm supposed to finish this thing, is it? 

11 hours ago, bbb said:

This just reminded me to take my indomethisean.  They gave it to me in case my knee was gout, but they thought it was strained somehow...........Now that I'm not in much pain, I should probably just save the bottle in case I have gout again?  It's not like anti bioltics where I'm supposed to finish this thing, is it? 

Yeah just take it when it flair up.  Stuff is pretty potent, rough on the stomach.  

17 minutes ago, bbb said:

It went from worst injury to worst pain pretty much right away. 

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

ran out of things to commiserate over

So basically a bunch of ol people talking about their lombago? Bunch of snowflakes, I’m cripple and you don’t see me complaining.

23 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So basically a bunch of ol people talking about their lombago? Bunch of snowflakes, I’m cripple and you don’t see me complaining.

lumbago..... we're all turning into the neighbour watch-woman