No Challenge on the muffed punt?

Not that it ended up mattering but on that muffed punt return at the end of the first half by the Ravens, it looked to me on one of the replays that the 2nd Bills player coming in had the ball in his hand and was in bounds and was down. It should have been Bills ball.  Did McD explain why he didn't challenge the call? I don't think the Bills had used all (or any?) of their timeouts and being down at that stage 20-0, what do you have to lose? The Bills would have had the ball on the 15 if the challenge was successful and might have been back in it with a TD. If McD had no excuse then it really exposes a flaw in his game management. The Bills needed a lifeline at that stage and his failure to at least try to provide it was just plain dumb.

I agree with this but all you're gonna hear is how they wouldn't have won the challenge(which I agree they probably wouldn't have). But the offense was incapable of that swing of momentum and doing nothing. You take the challenge and put the pressure on the refs to make a call.

It was an awful decision. No reason not to do it. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's so simple, but that's what happens when a bunch of gym teachers run your team and adhere to rules and charts like they were the 10 commandments. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree with this but all you're gonna hear is how they wouldn't have won the challenge(which I agree they probably wouldn't have). But the offense was incapable of that swing of momentum and doing nothing. You take the challenge and put the pressure on the refs to make a call.

It was an awful decision. No reason not to do it. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's so simple, but that's what happens when a bunch of gym teachers run your team and adhere to rules and charts like they were the 10 commandments. 

I agree, the coaching staff seems to be a little too tight assed about decisions and play calling in general. I think that McD would be a better coach if he took a few gambles.  Challenging that punt fumble was a no brainer and he choked as if it was a high pressure decision.

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Not that it ended up mattering but on that muffed punt return at the end of the first half by the Ravens, it looked to me on one of the replays that the 2nd Bills player coming in had the ball in his hand and was in bounds and was down. It should have been Bills ball.  Did McD explain why he didn't challenge the call? I don't think the Bills had used all (or any?) of their timeouts and being down at that stage 20-0, what do you have to lose? The Bills would have had the ball on the 15 if the challenge was successful and might have been back in it with a TD. If McD had no excuse then it really exposes a flaw in his game management. The Bills needed a lifeline at that stage and his failure to at least try to provide it was just plain dumb.

He was too busy clapping to whip out the flag.  I think the challenge would have failed because NBC didn't have what we needed, which was a camera on the opposite site for a definitive view.  Ref who made the call was standing right over the ball.

7 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

At least one Bills player touched the ball while out of bounds before the recovery - a challenge would of been a waste.  

The Ref was standing right there and got the call right.  It was a poor play by the Bills - really crucial in the situation to get the momentum of the ball moving back toward the inbounds part of the field and towards the Ravens goal line.  Guys diving toward the boundary just hastened the out of bounds momentum.

50 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Why would you challenge that?  Terrible idea

Because if you can challenge it (not sure about if they could) why wouldn't you? Down 20-0, you have timeouts to spare, why not challenge if you can.? Nothing to lose at that point . Besides challenging it or trying to challenge the play (even if you couldn't) gives your beleaguered, gassed defense a chance to rest slightly longer. What ends up happening is they go on the field tired and give up another TD drive and the game is effectively over. 

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Because if you can challenge it (not sure about if they could) why wouldn't you? Down 20-0, you have timeouts to spare, why not challenge if you can.? Nothing to lose at that point . Besides challenging it or trying to challenge the play (even if you couldn't) gives your beleaguered, gassed defense a chance to rest slightly longer. What ends up happening is they go on the field tired and give up another TD drive and the game is effectively over. 

You dont challenge it because it was obviously out of bounds and something you would not win.   You could just call timeout if you need your defense to rest.  Alternatively, they could make a stop or maybe the offense could gain a first down.