Jerry Sullivan Strikes Back With A VENGEANCE, Slams The BN, The Pegulas, and some of the Buffalo fanbase

BuffaloRush

21 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

How much joy was there really during the drought?  The Bills losing was tiring.  IMO they deserved a lot of bad criticism.   How much praise did the Bills really deserve?  

You know, for as long as that was - they were only truly terrible once or twice.  The Bills of the 70's were much worse.  The 1984-85 Bills were MUCH worse than any single team during that era.  They came very close to making the playoffs a couple times, they had very strong starts to seasons a couple times.  

I don't need a cheerleader.  I also don't need someone to B word just for the sake of bitching either.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Rico said:

He is right about his positive articles during the SB years. Not too long ago, I was looking at the News the day after 27 with the Felser “Let us count the ways the Bills disgraced the city of Buffalo” lead. Sully’s on pg 3 with not a single bad thing to say.

I’ve said before that once upon a time, some 28-30 years ago, Sully was a good and creative writer

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

How much joy was there really during the drought?  The Bills losing was tiring.  IMO they deserved a lot of bad criticism.   How much praise did the Bills really deserve?  

Please don't twist realism with cynicism.  Jerry was an old tired misanthropic fool.  The Bills' fan deserves a realistic appraisal of the team just not a curmudgeon who writes for self-approval.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I guess calling out the Bills for the clown show they ran before McDermott came here = "pissing in cherrios"  Talk about sensitive

Hey I'm happy he's your hero and that you still get to listen to him. The great preponderance of the rest of us say good riddance. He was like your blowhard uncle coming over the dinner and just bloviating everyday. He was unreadable for the most part. Writing a good column every now and then doesn't warrant doing it everyday. I stopped reading him many years ago. I want back and read a few columns earlier this year and sure enough, same old crap. Same old formula. He was lazy. Time to move on, park it on the porch with a glass of lemonade let the kids have the sandbox.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Sanners said:

I’m shocked the “great “ Jerry Sullivan didn’t get scooped up by a major market paper. The fact he is still in Buffalo speaks volumes to his employability. Douchebag.

LOL well you need to listen to the interview.  He does talk how media outlets are demising the role of a columnist.  Instead of having personalities, sports writers are bland.  Keep in mind, locally there really wasn't anywhere to go.  There's 1 newspaper in town.  The Athletic doesn't want columnists and neither do many other outlets.   At his age, I can understand not wanting to relocate or a take a job where a lot of travel was involved.   

He is going to get his own morning show at 1270 AM.  So that is something locally.  

In the interview he talks up the Buffalo Maven.  I am a Jerry fan, but it sounded kind of like a bootleg operation

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

I don’t get why he can’t just go away. It’s like the wife/husband that won’t go away after the divorce. 

Jer, we had our time. We’re just not into anymore. Move on, bud. 

Listen to the interview and you'll see.  He is passionate about the Bills and journalism.  He wants to hold teams accountable and demands better

LOL well you need to listen to the interview.  He does talk how media outlets are demising the role of a columnist.  Instead of having personalities, sports writers are bland.  Keep in mind, locally there really wasn't anywhere to go.  There's 1 newspaper in town.  The Athletic doesn't want columnists and neither do many other outlets.   At his age, I can understand not wanting to relocate or a take a job where a lot of travel was involved.   

He is going to get his own morning show at 1270 AM.  So that is something locally.  

In the interview he talks up the Buffalo Maven.  I am a Jerry fan, but it sounded kind of like a bootleg operation

Listen to the interview and you'll see.  He is passionate about the Bills and journalism.  He wants to hold teams accountable and demands better

Can’t he take his talents to South Beach? 

• Like (+1) 1

Seems like he takes zero responsibility for why readers turned on him & for why he had his column taken away. Its everyones fault but his.

But when i read sports pages, or any news in particular, I want to read facts & what the story is. And if its someones opinion I want it to be one that not only challenges me & educates me, but one that doesn't come across as a douche.

For the last 5-10 years of Sully's writing, more often than not I asked myself why do I read this guys work.

I wish him the best as I dont wish no ill will on anyone, but I wont miss his column, thats for sure.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, aceman_16 said:

Please don't twist realism with cynicism.  Jerry was an old tired misanthropic fool.  The Bills' fan deserves a realistic appraisal of the team just not a curmudgeon who writes for self-approval.

Exactly, that's why a fan-site like the BN Blitz is a terrible idea - at least according to Jerry.  From his opinion, you have writers that are writing safe, sanitized material for fan-approval.  

Edited by BuffaloRush

16 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Obviously you didn't hear the interview.  Jerry is passionate about being a writer and his dream job was being a columnist.  He did it well for almost 3 decades and sold a lot of newspapers.  It's understandable how getting this taken away from him was upsetting

I'm sure the news was very happy to get your $2.99 a month

Uh if it’s his “dream job” he’d do well not to trash his former employer in a hit piece like this...

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Seems like somewhat of an immature response and this is why I feel Sully is misunderstood.  To me it's like your saying "he wrote something negative about my favorite team so I don't want to read his work"

No relative but I am a fan and I am going to write a longer column for a new Bills blog about Sully.  I will post it here too.  Bills fans owe Sully and apology

You know, people are entitled to have an opinion and to dislike the trite and repetitive negative schtick Sully devolved to.  And I say that freely admitting that once upon a time I was an out-of-town print subscriber and enjoyed his work - some 26 years ago.

That was then this is now.

Nope, Bills fans owe Sully nothin’

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

LOL well you need to listen to the interview.  

No, really, I don’t.  I’m just in this thread because I have a mandate to try to keep things kinda south of civil where I can.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, brianthomas said:

Seems like he takes zero responsibility for why readers turned on him & for why he had his column taken away. Its everyones fault but his.

But when i read sports pages, or any news in particular, I want to read facts & what the story is. And if its someones opinion I want it to be one that not only challenges me & educates me, but one that doesn't come across as a douche.

For the last 5-10 years of Sully's writing, more often than not I asked myself why do I read this guys work.

I wish him the best as I dont wish no ill will on anyone, but I wont miss his column, thats for sure.

Your comment is exactly what I was saying.  You misunderstand the job of the columnist.  It is to share his opinion and analysis of what happened.  A reporter shares facts and "what the story is."

Bills fans have become so sensitive to criticism over the years.  It's beyond baffling

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

If he is that passionate at journalism maybe he should be... you know... better at it? 

What he is really passionate about is columnists having total editorial control over their columns and the freedom to express their opinions. That is not journalism, it is the equivalent of the radio shock jock. There is a place for it, I don't deny, but it isn't journalism. 

Exactly, that's why a fan-site like the BN Blitz is a terrible idea.  You have writers that are writing bland, sanitized material for fan-approval.  

Well.. I agree.  I don't need a pollyannish approach either.  Both constant pessimism AND optimism gets old.

• Like (+1) 2

Again, I would encourage you actually listen to this interview. Sully address many of the comments left here in the thread.

1 minute ago, aceman_16 said:

Well.. I agree.  I don't need a pollyannish approach either.  Both constant pessimism AND optimism gets old.

Fair enough man

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Your comment is exactly what I was saying.  You misunderstand the job of the columnist.  It is to share his opinion and analysis of what happened.  A reporter shares facts and "what the story is."

Bills fans have become so sensitive to criticism over the years.  It's beyond baffling

I dont misunderstand what a columnist is, i even said "if its someones opinion, I want it to be one that not only challenges me & educates me, but one that doesn't come across as a douche." He came across as one at the end of his work here & he probably hasn't changed. Thats my opinion,  also one that seems to be shared by a lot of people.

Just now, brianthomas said:

I dont misunderstand what a columnist is, i even said "if its someones opinion, I want it to be one that not only challenges me & educates me, but one that doesn't come across as a douche." He came across as one at the end of his work here & he probably hasn't changed. Thats my opinion,  also one that seems to be shared by a lot of people.

To me, it sounds like you are salty toward Jerry because he has been critical of the Bills.  As I said before, it seems like many Bills fans are very sensitive to any criticism.  I believe it had to do with the embarrassing Drought.  It's not just Jerry, any media personality that is critical of the team gets trashed here.  

It’s kind of funny that someone known so well for undervaluing the team he was covering is trying oh so hard to overvalue himself. 

Im sorry, but the guys act was old and tired. He wasn’t a reporter that looks at a story objectively and says how can I get this to the people. He looked at a story and said how many people can I piss off with this story. It became as boring as losing for 17 years. 

Its not creative. It’s a tired Schtick. So much so, I don’t have to listen to it to know exactly what he’ll say. 

Jog on, Jer. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Since when did Bills fans get so sensitive to criticism?  It boggles my mind.  I think must be Stockholm syndrome associated with 17 years of epic failure.  If someone criticizes the team, they are an idiot.  

You know what it is actually.  It's that he's not good enough at criticizing the team.  Posters on this board consistently do a good job of tearing the team a new sphincter. 

I personally think the team this year is crap.  I think they'll win 5 games at most.  I find Sean McDermott to be an overrated happy clapping ass; the NFL equivalent of a Six Sigma consultant who focuses on process, process, process and not enough on the talent of the individuals doing the work.  I find the Pegulas in general to have been incompetent boobs in franchise ownership, but I would rather an incompetent boob than not have teams to watch and they still have SEVERAL years worth of grace period to burn through before that changes.  I find Ralph Wilson to have been one of the worst sports owners of all time.  The team was largely terrible during his ownership and success they had was ultimately ruined by Wilson's tight fist, his own ego, or both.  

I don't need someone to blow sunshine up my ass but I don't need someone to piss in my face either.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1