Wasn't Andy Levitre a Bill

Watkins90

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, billsbackto81 said:

He was a FA and got a boatload of money from the Titans. Wanted to keep him but it was the right move by management. 

it wasn't that clear that they wanted to keep him. They should've. But they waited and waited. The offer was a ton of money but it seemed that that regime was looking for a different kind of guy, that they wanted road graders and thought Levitre was a finesse guy.

On 9/7/2018 at 7:59 AM, GunnerBill said:

The replacement plans for both Peters (who I would not have let go) and Levitre (still say on balance I would) were both brutal bordering on negligent. 

If that ain't the truth.

Buddy was still GM when Levitre left, btw. 

And he had a list of practice squad players and UDFA's of about a dozen. And he'd say something like, "the fans will be surprised about the quality of these guys."

Uh huh...

I can understand not wanting to pay Levitre 8 mill per year, but damn...it was pure dumpster scouring for his replacement.

And I remember people being cool with that.

There were enough using the standard "why don't we see what happens.." or "You don't know what Buddy's plan is!"

Whaley was a little better when it came to the Oline, but not much.

Beane is...lol...wow...he needs to bring in a player evaluator who knows something about Olinemen.

1 minute ago, CookieG said:

If that ain't the truth.

Buddy was still GM when Levitre left, btw. 

And he had a list of practice squad players and UDFA's of about a dozen. And he'd say something like, "the fans will be surprised about the quality of these guys."

Uh huh...

I can understand not wanting to pay Levitre 8 mill per year, but damn...it was pure dumpster scouring for his replacement.

And I remember people being cool with that.

There were enough using the standard "why don't we see what happens.." or "You don't know what Buddy's plan is!"

Whaley was a little better when it came to the Oline, but not much.

Beane is...lol...wow...he needs to bring in a player evaluator who knows something about Olinemen.

People often will romanticize about Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley as GM’s.  They were not good.

I always thought Levitre was a solid guard.  I don’t think the Bills thought he was worth the contract he commanded

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

People often will romanticize about Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley as GM’s.  They were not good.

I always thought Levitre was a solid guard.  I don’t think the Bills thought he was worth the contract he commanded

I think Buddy had more talent for evaluating O linemen, I have little doubt he gave the recommendations on Wood and Levitre in 2009.  Russ sure didn't.

But I also think he thought a little too much of his evaluation skills and believed he could just find the guys in later rounds or UDFA's.  Problem is, he never did find one, much less several.

He was also fixated on recreating the Charger's defense in Buffalo so the offense was pretty much ignored.

7 minutes ago, CookieG said:

I think Buddy had more talent for evaluating O linemen, I have little doubt he gave the recommendations on Wood and Levitre in 2009.  Russ sure didn't.

But I also think he thought a little too much of his evaluation skills and believed he could just find the guys in later rounds or UDFA's.  Problem is, he never did find one, much less several.

He was also fixated on recreating the Charger's defense in Buffalo so the offense was pretty much ignored.

Except for CJ Spiller and TJ freaking Graham!!

21 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Whaley was average and built a team that was average. The record in the 3 seasons that followed full Whaley pre-seasons was exactly .500 and that was despite two years of pitiful coaching under Rex. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except for CJ Spiller and TJ freaking Graham!!

Whaley was average and built a team that was average. The record in the 3 seasons that followed full Whaley pre-seasons was exactly .500 and that was despite two years of pitiful coaching under Rex. 

More romanticism.  Whaley was below average to me.  Yes he made a few nice moves, but all GM’s do.  He loses points for some really bad drafts and his big gambles never paid off (trading Sammy to help EJ).  Also without a major QB contract on the books, he somehow managed to put the team in a horrendous salary cap position.  

Also under the Buddy, the Bills were essentially a 6-10 team.  What did Whaley do to improve?  He helped them win 1 or 2 more games in 3 years.  He was not as good as some fans give him credit for

On 9/6/2018 at 9:15 PM, JoeF said:

He was for four years.  Left as a Free Agent after the 2012 season.   Married a Buffalo girl.

...back when the going rate for a guard was $8 mil/yr..............which at that time was thought to be crazy money I believe..............

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

it wasn't that clear that they wanted to keep him. They should've. But they waited and waited. The offer was a ton of money but it seemed that that regime was looking for a different kind of guy, that they wanted road graders and thought Levitre was a finesse guy.

This is true. Nobody will know for certain though it seemed they were more concerned about getting Byrd taken care of instead of Levitre. You'd think they would have kept Andy if they were able to get a more team friendly number. 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

More romanticism.  Whaley was below average to me.  Yes he made a few nice moves, but all GM’s do.  He loses points for some really bad drafts and his big gambles never paid off (trading Sammy to help EJ).  Also without a major QB contract on the books, he somehow managed to put the team in a horrendous salary cap position.  

Also under the Buddy, the Bills were essentially a 6-10 team.  What did Whaley do to improve?  He helped them win 1 or 2 more games in 3 years.  He was not as good as some fans give him credit for

It isn't romanticism. I think he was average. He built teams that had talent but never got past an average record. While I don't think GMs should be judged just by record the fact is Whaley's rosters won more games than those who came before him and won as many as they lost. His biggest fault in my mind actually was his personal relationships. When you fall out with basically 3 Head Coaches (fell out with Marrone and Rex and then Sean decided he couldn't work with him) that has to be on you. 

28 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...back when the going rate for a guard was $8 mil/yr..............which at that time was thought to be crazy money I believe..............

....but the Bills had Doug Legursky and Colin Brown............oh never mind.

When is signed with TEN he was like top 5 guard money.

On 9/8/2018 at 12:10 AM, SoTier said:

Are you implying that Levitre wasn't healthy?  That seems to be a favorite excuse that some fans make for the Bills' questionable move, but the fact is that Levitre started every Bills game during his four years with the Bills.   He then went on to start 32 more games in 2 seasons with the Titans and another 32 more games in his first 2 seasons with the Falcons.  In fact, the three games that Levitre missed in 2017 were the first 3 games he missed in his entire career ... and he's back to starting for the Falcons once again.  He started 128 straight games for three teams.

Most successful teams have a GM who's more than a glorified scout and scapegoat for a string of mostly less than competent HCs, which has been what the Bills have had since Tom Donahoe was fired in 2006 and Russ Brandon took control of the team.

His 2nd off season with surgery on the opposite knee was a factor according to the article a posted...

I don't claim to know the thought/thoughts of the front office. But they had idea of the value of the position and Andy got way more from the Titans, who in turn got rid of him as well.