Breaking News

Neither does dramatically turning their heads to Camera 2 in the middle of something that purports to be a news report, and saying "Now, here's what I think.... blah blah blah."

280527[/snapback]

Yep. With TV news, you get a lot of that crap. Even on the 'cable' channels like CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc. You have to wade through a bunch of garbage to get to the actual news. That's one of the reasons I like to read different news websites and/or papers in addition to watching news networks.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some things I just heard about her case:

After her collapse she was treated with therapy and improving enough to be sent home

Her husband sued her doctor for 2.25 M so that he could "take care of her for the rest fo her life" which he contended was likely to be 40 years more

He was quoted in court records as saying they would live as man and wife at home for the rest of their lives no matter how long that was (he failed to mention he was already dating someone else)

He fought for 2+ years and was awarded the 2.25M

Two months later he could no longer bear the pain of seeing her state and wanted to pull the plug. He has denied her therapy ever since.

He then remembered that when they were watching a movie about Karen Quinlan, she said "I wouldn't want to live like that". This is the basis for her "living will". Funny how he remembered this just after the check cleared.

He cut her parents off from being able to do anything as simple as ask a doctor a question about her health.

He at least twice denied her treatments for potentially fatal infections

And so on and so on......

Sounds like a great guy. Clearly we should take his word for it on her intentions.

How do people get like this?

After her collapse she was treated with therapy and improving enough to be sent home

Her husband sued her doctor for 2.25 M so that he could "take care of her for the rest fo her life" which he contended was likely to be 40 years more

He was quoted in court records as saying they would live as man and wife at home for the rest of their lives no matter how long that was (he failed to mention he was already dating someone else)

Two months later he could no longer bear the pain of seeing her state and wanted to pull the plug.  He has denied her therapy ever since.

He then remembered that when they were watching a movie about Karen Quinlan, she said "I wouldn't want to live like that".  This is the basis for her "living will".  Funny how he remembered this just after the check cleared.

He cut her parents off from being able to do anything as simple as ask a doctor a question about her health.

Sounds like a great guy.  Clearly we should take his word for it on her intentions.

280538[/snapback]

Thanks for this. I had heard some of it but it helps to get the complete picture.

I know that I often say I wouldn't care to live in a vegatative state. And I'm sure

my wife will take care of that. Hell I think she tries to put a pillow over my face whenever I try to take a nap, but I can't prove it.

I say let her continue to be fed. Miracles do happen, and she seems to react to

others. It's her parents call, not her husband. There's blood there, no blood in a marriage.

I say let her continue to be fed.  Miracles do happen, and she seems to react to

others.  It's her parents call, not her husband.  There's blood there, no blood in a marriage.

280540[/snapback]

It's great how people, including first-year doctors who have taken to diagnosing by fuggin' videotape, throw out "seems" as if it's "is."

Funny, the Supreme Court of the United States says it's on the husband, or else they would have heard the case. Unless you're saying you know or can divine the law better.

Funny, the Supreme Court of the United States says it's on the husband, or else they would have heard the case. Unless you're saying you know or can divine the law better.

280543[/snapback]

I just read on FNC that the Supreme Court refused to intervene.....with no comment. I guess the Supreme Court can suck sometimes, too.

Having a bias as far to the right as the rest of the media does to the left does not make you impartial.  Really, did anyone honestly think that a news channel run by the former producer of Rush Limbaugh's TV show would be impartial?

280522[/snapback]

Never said Fox News did not have its own slant overall. No network can be without bias.

you're right again------god damn all those who would try to protect the innocent-  thk god u were always there to protect the innocent you fool eddie.  what kind of a name is that anyway, ed hedd..in the pre irony age a bishop named ed hedd.  classsic.

280502[/snapback]

Bishop Hedd is the name of my Catholic speed metal band, sort of a riff on Def Leppard, Judas Priest and Ratt.

Long live 80's catholic death metal!

Though your post is barely legible, your opinion negligible I have to give you credit for at least figuring my board name out.

I really didn't want to chime in on this topic, but I think what they're doing to that poor girl is MURDER!

280626[/snapback]

Just to keep her "alive" in her vegetative state, doctors would have had to cut off her extremities.

What the Byrds didn't adapt in their lyrics is there's a time to let go, and they reached that point about 10 years ago. Turn! Turn! Turn!

My question is why not just give her a lethal dose of morphine or something rather than letting her starve to death...Some people say she can't feel that but in talking to my wife , who's a neurologist, she says while they think that there is not way to be sure. 

Plain and simple by removing the tube they are going to let her die why not just do it quick?

280317[/snapback]

Because letting someone die naturally and feeding her a lethal injection and essentially murdering her are two completely different things, thats why. She's a human being, not a sick, stray cat. And contrary to what PETA and some "enlightened" folks say, there IS a difference between the two.

Honestly, I dont know where I stand on this issue, but Ill bet dollars to doughnuts that if it was YOUR kid or my kid sitting in that bed and we got anything more than a nose twitch when when whispered her name in her ear, we'd be fighting tooth and nail to keep her alive.

Either way, watching vultures like Tom Dobson swarm in with his "flock" sickens me. Its the families' business to work out. Nobody elses.

Two months later he could no longer bear the pain of seeing her state and wanted to pull the plug.  He has denied her therapy ever since.

He then remembered that when they were watching a movie about Karen Quinlan, she said "I wouldn't want to live like that".  This is the basis for her "living will".  Funny how he remembered this just after the check cleared.

Sounds like a great guy.  Clearly we should take his word for it on her intentions.

280538[/snapback]

for once in my life i think the right-wing christian whack jobs have it right- this time. this case makes me very uncomforatble. the fact that she is breathing on her own changes everything as far as i am concerned. i can sympathize with the husband wanting to go out and begin a new life with someone who is not a vegetable, but i just can't rationalize making the decision to hasten someone else's death.

280538[/snapback]

I think the really important point is not simply how her husand got like this. but actually if what you say fits the facts how the FL court system, some number of doctors who agree with his right to pull the plug, a university medical ethicist who I saw supporting his right to pull the plug against a Member of the US Congress who wanted the case to go to another court, and some sector of folks who have worked with the case who support her husband have all been sold a bill of goods on this.

Why do you (or others) feel that some number (it seems significant to me and may be a majority of folks who have experienced the case, but even if not is certainly a significant number) of people still are willing to endorse an action by her hubby that would lead to her death?

This is the explanation I want.

I can easily see that her hubby is an evil person who has done all the things you decribe (just as I can easily see that her hubby is actually pursuing her interests, I don't know enough to know for sure because all I know of this I have gotten from the unreliable source of TV and the media).

However, the thing that I thnink should be answered almost as fully as the indictment above of hubby Schiavo's actions is why a number of people seem to buy this alleged bill of goods from him that they and the FL courts have suceeded in getting the tube emoved.

The question is not whether the husband is psychotically evil in exchange for a few 100K of the remaining malpractice settlement (coulod be, I and other TV watchers really don't know enough to have an opinion which should be accepted by anyone) but the broader question of is our society and the state of FL courts who have looked at this issue as exhaustively as anyone so completely fooled?

There are some Christian whack jobs who did just that with their babies and buried them in the back yard.

Teri's case, however, is an entirely different set of circumstances. Babies don't ask to be born. Teri asked her husband not to keep her alive like that. And what happened for 15 damn years was against her rationally stated wishes.

I don't know what to think about the cosmos, but just like I say a few words every night for when anyone here asks for prayers, I'll be saying one for Teri. Godspeed.

280302[/snapback]

uconn--I think you need to look into this case a bit before 'assuming' that these were Tery schiavos wishes. There ws a bone scan taken showing healed fractures..there were spousal abuse reports...there is the fact that Mr schiavo used the $ meant to be spent on her erhab on himself.There was the fact the he made NO mention of pulling the plug UNTIL they(he) got that settlement money.There is the fact that he wants her CREMATED---hmmmmstrange---evidence removal??If it were just a simple case of his word that she didnt want to go on like that--I may have agreed with you.-But this whole situation stinks to high heaven.

I think the really important point is not simply how her husand got like this. but actually if what you say fits the facts how the FL court system, some number of doctors who agree with his right to pull the plug, a university medical ethicist who I saw supporting his right to pull the plug against a Member of the US Congress who wanted the case to go to another court, and some sector of folks who have worked with the case who support her husband have all been sold a bill of goods on this.

Why do you (or others) feel that some number (it seems significant to me and may be a majority of folks who have experienced the case, but even if not is certainly a significant number) of people still are willing to endorse an action by her hubby that would lead to her death?

This is the explanation I want.

I can easily see that her hubby is an evil person who has done all the things you decribe (just as I can easily see that her hubby is actually pursuing her interests, I don't know enough to know for sure because all I know of this I have gotten from the unreliable source of TV and the media).

However, the thing that I thnink should be answered almost as fully as the indictment above of hubby Schiavo's actions is why a number of people seem to buy this alleged bill of goods from him that they and the FL courts have suceeded in getting the tube emoved.

The question is not whether the husband is psychotically evil in exchange for a few 100K of the remaining malpractice settlement (coulod be, I and other TV watchers really don't know enough to have an opinion which should be accepted by anyone) but the broader question of is our society and the state of FL courts who have looked at this issue as exhaustively as anyone so completely fooled?

280653[/snapback]

yeah it's kind of weird isn't it? although i must say, we outsiders are conditioned to frame every conflict like this in terms of "good guy vs. bad guy" ...we assign each side a role and then stop thinking about it.

like i said, i am not at all comfortable with ending this woman's life for her. but i truly do not know what went on between she and her husband. i just know that it must be a nightmare for the parents to have their daughter's life ended for her, no matter how pitiful it is.

also, i think a lot of people are confusing her condition with that of a person who is "brain-dead" and on a respirator. someone like that would die immediately if you turned off their respirator. but this woman only needs to be fed. tome that is different.