New Darien Lake Ride announcement - Aug 30th

wagon127

34 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Well Canadas Wonderland in Toronto just made an announcement last week and are building a new Massive coaster, maybe Darrien Lake wants to challenge them?

I find it interesting that with these north Eastern theme parks that have limited months of the year that they can stay open that none of them have attempted to start making more indoor attractions and attempt to stay open year round, or at least later in the season. 

I know these rides are incredibly expensive, but rides similar to ones at Universal studios, and Disney in Florida. Like the Harry Potter, Spider-Man, Transformers rides that are all inside and video based with moving seats/cars. 

Like me I said, I know they are probably much more expensive that a normal roller coaster, but I feel like if they started creating indoor rides they could start to switch to year round availability. 

Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I find it interesting that with these north Eastern theme parks that have limited months of the year that they can stay open that none of them have attempted to start making more indoor attractions and attempt to stay open year round, or at least later in the season. 

I know these rides are incredibly expensive, but rides similar to ones at Universal studios, and Disney in Florida. Like the Harry Potter, Spider-Man, Transformers rides that are all inside and video based with moving seats/cars. 

Like me I said, I know they are probably much more expensive that a normal roller coaster, but I feel like if they started creating indoor rides they could start to switch to year round availability. 

Thoughts? 

How would you walk to them?  Eat your Dippin' Dots in 15° weather, trudging through a snowbank.  Boy what a mess inside, salt, dirty galoshes.

Anyway... Lot stay open till Halloween.  I know Great America here does fall weekends.

Then there is heat, wear and tear from cold, plowing ops, etc...

They might as well create a huge dome/bubble!!!

Just imagine Cedar Point on a frozen Lake Erie... There already is Kalahari, Great Wolf, etc...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

9 hours ago, mrags said:

Thoughts? 

I've seen more indoor water parks opening these past few years. 

9 hours ago, mrags said:

Thoughts? 

Is it a realistic move though when the rest of your park is all outdoor stuff?  Most of that could never be converted, so you'd be left with one or two single indoor rides as you slowly start to introduce indoor stuff.  That seems like one hell of an initial loss as you try to start out a very long term project.

49 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Took our 4 & 6 y.o. grandkids to Fantasy Island this summer. 

Place is a joke. Numerous rides down. Ride attendants clueless and rude. 

....just saying.

It doesn't get any worse, then when a canoe is sinking, and the family calls for help, and the ride attendant just says "My walkie is dead." People should be running at that point to get whatever might help.

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

Is it a realistic move though when the rest of your park is all outdoor stuff?  Most of that could never be converted, so you'd be left with one or two single indoor rides as you slowly start to introduce indoor stuff.  That seems like one hell of an initial loss as you try to start out a very long term project.

I'm not sure how many people will be eager to go to a park in the middle of no where throughout winter. Its hard enough to get out there in the summer, but then trying to do it in January or February. They would need to offer an awful lot of things to do right away to make it work.

Edited by wagon127

2 hours ago, shrader said:

As Jack said, he’s seen a lot more indoor water parks popping up. Start with an indoor  water park. People will come to that. Just like they do for the indoor water park in PA and in TN. Then go from there and build on that. Might only be one or 2 to start but after 10-15 years, it could be a legitimate winter theme park. 

At the least you would get more business in the winter than they currently are now. And that’s zero dollars at this point. 

Edited by mrags

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

As Jack said, he’s seen a lot more indoor water parks popping up. Start with an indoor  water park. People will come to that. Just like they do for the indoor water park in PA and in TN. Then go from there and build on that. Might only be one or 2 to start but after 10-15 years, it could be a legitimate winter theme park. 

At the least you would get more business in the winter than they currently are now. And that’s zero dollars at this point. 

Wisconsin Dells.  Was there in I wanna say 2008 when it was -30° F (actual temp).  They got indoor waterparks.  Had the place all to ourselves.  Probably helped that it was weekend the Packers lost to the Giants in the NFC Championship.

22 minutes ago, mrags said:

It sounds like you're talking about starting from scratch though.  You can't really do that with a well-established park.

30 minutes ago, shrader said:

It sounds like you're talking about starting from scratch though.  You can't really do that with a well-established park.

For the last few years they have been building new rides. From now going forward just make rides that are indoor rides, indoor water amusements. In 10 years when you have a full indoor water park and 10 or so indoor rides, announce that you will have the indoor water park and the indoor rides available all year round. It’s realy that simple. I really don’t see why everyone can’t grasp this. 

Loke I said at first, The Only issue is the cost of indoor rides bs outdoor rides. But if your building rides already, why not look into it. 

It's probably going to be another spinning ride to take the place of the Lasso or the Silver Bullet (I think those are the two rides in the midway area).  I remember an injury or two recently on the Silver Bullet.  

It would be cool if they announced that they'd be RMC'ing the Predator, but my guess would be that's a few years out of Six Flags thinks they are profitable.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I thought Darrien Lake was already a Six Flags park?

it was, but six flags sold it in 2006, and I think six flags went bankrupt at one point. I almost considered buying their stock when it was at 25 cents. It was transferred to lesser know theme park companies several times over the last 10 years, barely even news worthy. Now I just gotta figure out what is better for me, a season pass, or buying a monthly membership......