Would you ever put your parent(s)/grandparent(s) in an Assisted Living facility?

Another Fan

Yes.  A few months ago, I helped my wife's grandparents move into a home.  Both of them have heart conditions so they need to be in a place that can give them medical attention.

Their house was a mess because they can't do anything for themselves anymore.  

If my mom or dad get in a situation where trying to take care of themselves is dangerous and puts a lot of stress on their kids, I would push for a home.  

On 8/27/2018 at 11:57 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

My neighbor was born in 1926.  She's going strong, well sorta, still driving the late husband's (died 2012) 2004 (80k miles) Mercury Grand Marquis.  Last month she crashed through her garage door... I just happened to witness the SNAFU when I was out getting mail.  @ 92, she ain't about to give up her freedom.

LoL... Buffed out the land yacht, fixed the garage door, and patched the hole in wall.  Good as new.  Sharp as a tack and back in the saddle.  She had me take ride to get emissions tested (passed)... She was afraid daughter would pull plug and let registration lapse.  She's been brushing up on taking her driver's test refresher (required on the elderly yearly). Just a little set back going through garage door. Mishaps could happen to anyone.  Nate threw 5 picks in one half and he's 70 years younger.

I didn't want to disappoint her... Make an old lady unhappy... Better leave me in her will! Hope it's that sorta cherry Mercury. ??

Your neighbor is the same age as my mom. She was driving until age 87(she got her license at 66 after my dad died) and wanted to drive until 90 . She saw all the reports on TV about elderly  people  getting in accidents so she  gave up her license then. She'll be 92 Saturday. We're taking her out to dinner  then. 

Edited by Wacka
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Five years ago (actually five years and six days) my father had a stroke. Up until then my folks were more than the sum of their parts, Mom healthy as a horse, Dad sharp as a tack. Overnight they became not twice the problem, but the problem squared. Dad was in an out of rehab and assisted living for 9 months while we turned the family home into a nursing home. It's a full scale nursing home now, complete with hoyer lift, 24/7 care from aides, and daily visits from a nurse. Still, managing it is a nightmare. 4 inches of snow is an emergency, aides need to be able to get in and out of the driveway. If they can get out of their own. What if they can't? Guess who has to fill in. Another rough winter is predicted, I'm dreading it already. Not to mention the daily conflicts between the aides. And scheduling issues. Mom's 99 now, Dad turned 100 last January. Five years ago I was 56, looked 46. 61 now, look 71. Taking on all this has aged me 25 years in the last 5. I tell my brothers that they need to find a way to spend a week every three months here, with 3 brothers that would give me a week a month break. Brothers have not been able to help. So, am I considering putting my folks in a nursing home? Starting to think about it. Assisted living is much better than full scale nursing by the way, but my parents need too much help for assisted. Let's just say I'm doing everything I can to allow my folks to die at home. They don't seem interested in keeping their end of the bargain. 

Enough about me, thank you for the opportunity to vent. If you would like to discuss how to protect assets, in home medicaid, etc. PM me. I'll send you my phone # and we can talk.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:37 PM, coloradobillsfan said:

I'd appreciate other recommended places like this in WNY that TSW'ers might have experience with, as my mom will be needing services from one of them in the coming years. 

I can help with the Rochester area, not Buffalo. Looked in to several before placing  my Dad in one for a few months while we turned the family home in to a nursing home. As mentioned above, can give you some direction with in home medicaid if you want to keep mom at home. Unlike medicaid for a nursing home, which has a five year look back, there is no look back for in home medicaid.

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

Your neighbor is the same age as my mom. She was driving until age 87(she got her license at 66 after my dad died) and wanted to drive until 90 . She saw all the reports on TV about elderly  people  getting in accidents so she  gave up her license then. She'll be 92 Saturday. We're taking her out to dinner  then. 

Safety first!

After My Neighbor's mishap... She doesn't venture out too far anymore... Just groceries, church, bowling (YES She still bowls and on a team! ?)... Hence Me taking Her land yacht for emissions testing... No way She is getting behind the wheel in that queue!  She'd make national news! ?

4 hours ago, Steve O said:

Mom's 99 now, Dad turned 100 last January. Five years ago I was 56, looked 46. 61 now, look 71. Taking on all this has aged me 25 years in the last 5. I tell my brothers that they need to find a way to spend a week every three months here, with 3 brothers that would give me a week a month break. Brothers have not been able to help. So, am I considering putting my folks in a nursing home? Starting to think about it. Assisted living is much better than full scale nursing by the way, but my parents need too much help for assisted. 

They're ready, and I get the feeling your brothers will fight you on the issue. But you're the one that has been taking care of them, so you should get the choice. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, coloradobillsfan said:

I'd appreciate other recommended places like this in WNY that TSW'ers might have experience with, as my mom will be needing services from one of them in the coming years. 

Atria, Brookdale, Sunrise, all "chain" retirement homes so it can be pricey but worth it. County/government run homes are the worse. 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Atria, Brookdale, Sunrise, all "chain" retirement homes so it can be pricey but worth it. County/government run homes are the worse. 

Yeah these 'entrance fee' numbers they are throwing around are astronomical.  I really don't know who keeps this kind of cash on hand.