Mike Scopp Hacking it Up on National Radio

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

13 hours ago, bbb said:

In general, I'm hating that fantasy sports are now taking up more time on sports talk radio.  I can't stand the whole thing. 

And, by following Schoop on twitter, he seemed to be going some kind of existential crisis about some guy at his draft Thursday night who left or something...............I totally didn't get it, since I hate fantasy stuff, but it seemed like a big deal, he was tweeting about it so much.

I don't do Twitter nor would I follow anyone on it, but I agree with you about "fantasy" stuff.  I have zero interest in it but I know a lot of people do like that crap.

Schopp was rambling on for an entire segment on Friday about fantasy stuff and it was enough to make me jump to the next hour (listening pre-recorded minus commercials).

IMO, "fantasy" is enough of a sub-genre of "sports talk" that it should have its own show and not be included into a regular sports show.  Similar to sports memorabilia collecting or other aspects of sports. 

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I honestly think Schopp hates every person that calls in.  He almost never agrees with anyone that calls in.  He will either cut the call and then carry on making fun of them for the next 3-5 minutes or simply respond 'ok, next caller'.  As if that caller didn't say anything that he could tear them apart about so we're moving on to find that special someone.

My favorite thing that he loves to do.

Caller 1:  I have this point that goes against what you are saying

Schopp: You're dumb and I am cutting you off

*a few minutes go by*

Caller 2: I have this point that agrees with what you are saying

Schopp: Use caller 1's point against Caller 2 so I can cut them off and call them an idiot

Schopp: Let's talk about the mets and baseball cards for 20 minutes

Rinse and repeat

That's not really true.

Insightful, intelligent, sharp callers are rare to the show, but when they do call in, Schopp's entire tone of voice changes, he shuts up, and let's them speak.  And he usually praises the caller or the observation after.

He definitely is quick to adopt a combative tone with those who disagree with him, however, but if the caller is making sense or can at least support his assertions with names/facts and not be a total general idiot, Schopp will give them some credit too.

When Schopp is off and it's just Bulldog for the day or a full week, I find the show much harder to listen to.   

When Bulldog takes the day or week off (he has off all next week) the show doesn't miss a beat.

Schopp has some unlikable personality traits and does come across as harsh to some callers, but he's--by far--the best thing on WGR550 IMO.  He's also the smartest of that lot, too.

Jeremy in the morning and Sal are really dumb people.  It doesn't take too long to figure that out.  

44 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't do Twitter nor would I follow anyone on it, but I agree with you about "fantasy" stuff.  I have zero interest in it but I know a lot of people do like that crap.

Schopp was rambling on for an entire segment on Friday about fantasy stuff and it was enough to make me jump to the next hour (listening pre-recorded minus commercials).

IMO, "fantasy" is enough of a sub-genre of "sports talk" that it should have its own show and not be included into a regular sports show.  Similar to sports memorabilia collecting or other aspects of sports. 

That's not really true.

Insightful, intelligent, sharp callers are rare to the show, but when they do call in, Schopp's entire tone of voice changes, he shuts up, and let's them speak.  And he usually praises the caller or the observation after.

He definitely is quick to adopt a combative tone with those who disagree with him, however, but if the caller is making sense or can at least support his assertions with names/facts and not be a total general idiot, Schopp will give them some credit too.

When Schopp is off and it's just Bulldog for the day or a full week, I find the show much harder to listen to.   

When Bulldog takes the day or week off (he has off all next week) the show doesn't miss a beat.

Schopp has some unlikable personality traits and does come across as harsh to some callers, but he's--by far--the best thing on WGR550 IMO.  He's also the smartest of that lot, too.

Jeremy in the morning and Sal are really dumb people.  It doesn't take too long to figure that out.  

They probably get one caller a week if they are lucky that can do that which is why it's usually how I wrote it up.  I do agree that he can take a caller seriously but 90% of the time it's basically him shitting on people.

I'm not gonna say that they all are smart or have great ideas but in general if he doesn't agree with them they get cut off and he goes on a rant for a minute or two about why it's the dumbest thing he has ever heard.

I get having an opinion but his position is typical you either agree with me or you're wrong.

I never listen to the morning show either because they are crap.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

When Bulldog takes the day or week off (he has off all next week)

Thank God.  I was worried that he was overworking and not spending enough time at the cottage. 

Do these guys even stay for their entire four hour show?  The last hour seems to be replays of the previous hours' interviews - so I'm thinking at least one of them cuts out at 6. 

It would be so refreshing if WGR changed some of these dour hosts that can't seem to get over the 20 year malaise the franchise had been in and clearly seems to be comping out of. You want to hear uplifting, upbeat, charged up and excited local NFL sports radio done right? Go online to 97.5 The Fanatic (Philly). It's the Eagles local sports radio station and it's a 180 degree difference in how it's done over at the somber WGR. It's shocking how WGR gets away with these down beat guys. Get some new hosts in there who are excited about football and the Bills.

Edited by 1billsfan

On 8/24/2018 at 9:49 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I like Schopp. The day he talked about how overrated culture is is an example of an interesting topic that nobody else at that station would think of. 

He for real said that??

He's either trolling or a complete f...ing moron.  

To math/analytics/absolutists, hearing the word "culture" is like taking garlic to a vampire.  

He's never been a part of a team.  Ever.  This dynamic cannot be explained to a pompous arse like him.  

Culture is all the work that the Owner, GM, HC, and all the people they hire put in to teach, motivate, inspire, and relate to the men they lead.  No "culture" is perfect.  But you can have a toxic culture real easy.  Did he sleepwalk thru the Rex era?  All Wilson's lousy front office people.  

"Culture doesn't matter."

20e3119a-b589-4abe-aa56-415995c799dd-large16x9_RussBrandon.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

He for real said that??

To math/analytics/absolutists, hearing the word "culture" is like taking garlic to a vampire.  

He's never been a part of a team.  Ever.  This dynamic cannot be explained to a pompous arse like him.  

Culture is all the work that the Owner, GM, HC, and all the people they hire put in to teach, motivate, inspire, and relate to the men they lead.  No "culture" is perfect.  But you can have a toxic culture real easy.  Did he sleepwalk thru the Rex era?  All Wilson's lousy front office people.  

He thinks he's playing cards.  Where a king of spades is  king of spades.  He takes no account that these are human beings. 

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

He for real said that??

Schopp is right. 

How team many players have we had over the years? Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, George Wilson, Lorenzo Alexander, Ryan Fitzpatrick? 

And how many Coaches over that same span talked about working hard, correcting mistakes, earning the right to win? Jauron, Gailey, Marrone. 

When the 49ers got really good 5 years ago and started to slide backwards what caused that? A big part was Justin Smith and Patrick Willis retiring, Aldon Smith getting suspended, Navarro Bowman hurting his knee, Mike Iupati moving on and Kaepernick regressing.

How did the Seahawks get good? Elite culture or the fact they stacked three great drafts together? Wilson, Wagner, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, KJ Wright, with Mike Bennett added in FA. Stealing Marshawn Lynch away in his prime from a clueless GM. 

Remember Trent Edwards broken record of watching tape and fixing mistakes? He was working real hard too...

Guess what? It’s talent guys. It’s picking Torrell Troup over Rob Gronkowski. It’s picking Sammy Watkins over Khalil Mack, picking TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson.  

How about all the Bills drafts that yielded nothing? 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, Ragland, Lawson.

Get better players and suddenly Coaches will look a lot better. The 1988-1993 Bills proved that. 

• Like (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
11 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Schopp is right. 

How team many players have we had over the years? Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, George Wilson, Lorenzo Alexander, Ryan Fitzpatrick? 

And how many Coaches over that same span talked about working hard, correcting mistakes, earning the right to win? Jauron, Gailey, Marrone. 

When the 49ers got really good 5 years ago and started to slide backwards what caused that? A big part was Justin Smith and Patrick Willis retiring, Aldon Smith getting suspended, Navarro Bowman hurting his knee, Mike Iupati moving on and Kaepernick regressing.

How did the Seahawks get good? Elite culture or the fact they stacked three great drafts together? Wilson, Wagner, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, KJ Wright, with Mike Bennett added in FA. Stealing Marshawn Lynch away in his prime from a clueless GM. 

Remember Trent Edwards broken record of watching tape and fixing mistakes? He was working real hard too...

Guess what? It’s talent guys. It’s picking Torrell Troup over Rob Gronkowski. It’s picking Sammy Watkins over Khalil Mack, picking TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson.  

How about all the Bills drafts that yielded nothing? 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, Ragland, Lawson.

Get better players and suddenly Coaches will look a lot better. The 1988-1993 Bills proved that. 

Jauron and Gailey never had real success at the NFL level as head coaches.  Marrone was the first coach to have a winning record in ten years when he was with the Bills.  Then he goes to Jacksonville and now they are contenders with Blake freaking Bortles.  Including him in there actually hurts your argument.

You can't win without talent but you will never get the full amount out of your talent and team if the chemistry isn't there.  No matter how many times people who weren't good at sports and never stepped foot in a locker room say culture doesn't matter, it doesn't make it true.  It's why Dez Bryant doesn't have a job right now.  He is still good enough to be on a roster and contribute, but nobody wants his attitude upsetting the locker room. 

As I have said before, people try harder when they are working with people they care about.  Fans act as if these athletes aren't human and that their work environment has effect on their output.  I think it is actually quite asinine for people to think that "culture" or work environment doesn't affect these players.  The jobs you have had in your life, do you think that management had no effect on the output of the employees?  I could go on but I have said it all here before. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Jauron and Gailey never had real success at the NFL level as head coaches.  Marrone was the first coach to have a winning record in ten years when he was with the Bills.  Then he goes to Jacksonville and now they are contenders with Blake freaking Bortles.  Including him in there actually hurts your argument.

You can't win without talent but you will never get the full amount out of your talent and team if the chemistry isn't there.  No matter how many times people who weren't good at sports and never stepped foot in a locker room say culture doesn't matter, it doesn't make it true.  It's why Dez Bryant doesn't have a job right now.  He is still good enough to be on a roster and contribute, but nobody wants his attitude upsetting the locker room. 

As I have said before, people try harder when they are working with people they care about.  Fans act as if these athletes aren't human and that their work environment has effect on their output.  I think it is actually quite asinine for people to think that "culture" or work environment doesn't affect these players.  The jobs you have had in your life, do you think that management had no effect on the output of the employees?  I could go on but I have said it all here before. 

Doug Marrone is not a great coach who establishes culture. 

He is ultra conservative and cost the Jaguars a trip to the Super Bowl. Doug Peterson said in an interview that he watched Jacksonville go into a shell in the 4th quarter against New England trying to play safe and vowed to not commit the same mistake. 

Doug Marrone is the Coach here who punted on the 4th-2, down by 2 scores, in the 4th quarter at the Pittsburgh 36 to protect field position. 

Jacksonville is good now because they stunk for so long they’ve accumulated young talented players high in the draft. Jack, Founette, Fowler, Jalen Ramsey, Yannick Ngakoue, Telvin Smith instead of draft busts Luke Joeckel. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
28 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Doug Marrone is not a great coach who establishes culture. 

He is ultra conservative and cost the Jaguars a trip to the Super Bowl. Doug Peterson said in an interview that he watched Jacksonville go into a shell in the 4th quarter against New England trying to play safe and vowed to not commit the same mistake. 

Doug Marrone is the Coach here who punted on the 4th-2, down by 2 scores, in the 4th quarter at the Pittsburgh 36 to protect field position. 

Jacksonville is good now because they stunk for so long they’ve accumulated young talented players high in the draft. Jack, Founette, Fowler, Jalen Ramsey, Yannick Ngakoue, Telvin Smith instead of draft busts Luke Joeckel. 

So are you admitting that great coaches establish a winning culture?

Let me expand a bit on your original post.  You said " And how many Coaches over that same span talked about working hard, correcting mistakes, earning the right to win? Jauron, Gailey, Marrone."  Who cares what they said.  That is coach speak and all coaches say these things.  Making an overall statement on culture based off what 3 Bills drought coaches said to the media and fans is flat out ridiculous.  Rex Ryan and McDermott said and say these things too.  Do you see a difference between them?  Culture or work environment is not established by coach speak and press conferences, it is established by actions that fans will never see.

Also with the Niners and Seahawks, while I think great drafting was a big part of what they did in the past decade, I believe that Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll absolutely had something to do with their success.  Are you saying head coaches don't matter?  Do you think players are going to try as hard if they think they don't have a chance because they don't believe in their coach?  Ask members of the Falcons who were there under Bobby Petrino if culture matters.  Do the same with Eagles players who were there with Chip Kelly.  Yes those 49ers and Seahawks teams had a lot of talent but they also had a ton of CHEMISTRY and great coaches.  Sorry but I don't think those teams are sniffing conference and Super Bowl Championships with Rich Kotite at the helm

21 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

So are you admitting that great coaches establish a winning culture?

Let me expand a bit on your original post.  You said " And how many Coaches over that same span talked about working hard, correcting mistakes, earning the right to win? Jauron, Gailey, Marrone."  Who cares what they said.  That is coach speak and all coaches say these things.  Making an overall statement on culture based off what 3 Bills drought coaches said to the media and fans is flat out ridiculous.  Rex Ryan and McDermott said and say these things too.  Do you see a difference between them?  Culture or work environment is not established by coach speak and press conferences, it is established by actions that fans will never see.

Also with the Niners and Seahawks, while I think great drafting was a big part of what they did in the past decade, I believe that Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll absolutely had something to do with their success.  Are you saying head coaches don't matter?  Do you think players are going to try as hard if they think they don't have a chance because they don't believe in their coach?  Ask members of the Falcons who were there under Bobby Petrino if culture matters.  Do the same with Eagles players who were there with Chip Kelly.  Yes those 49ers and Seahawks teams had a lot of talent but they also had a ton of CHEMISTRY and great coaches.  Sorry but I don't think those teams are sniffing conference and Super Bowl Championships with Rich Kotite at the helm

Did Barry Switzer continue a great Cowboys culture in 1995, or did he just inherit HOFers Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Allen, Haley? 

Was it great culture that molded Favre into a winner, he didn’t even know what Nickle defense meant in 1993 under Holgrem.

The hallowed Patriots were 5-11 under Belichick and 0-2 when Brady was forced into action. How did Belichick’s great culture work benching Malcom Butler? 

We can cherry pick all day. 

Doug Marrone brings NOTHING new to the table as a Coach. All Coaches talk about limiting turnovers, working hard, focusing on one practice at a time, and being on time for meetings. Everybody has a playbook and Coaches who spend 18 hours at the office. 

GMs have always mattered more than Coaches. They assemble the talent, they prioritize what holes to fill, they decide who to let walk away. 

I think winning is largely driven by talent. And a great culture is talked about after the fact. If you win, the stories about great culture are attributed to that. If you lose, it’s bad culture. 

The Browns have sucked not because Mike Pettine and Rob Chudsinky were outmatched schemically or bad leaders, but because they traded down when they could have had Julio Jones, drafted Weeden, Trent Richardson, Manziel, Barkavious Mingo. Funny how he went to New England and couldn’t be saved by Almighty Belichick. Funny how Justin Gilbert couldn’t be saved by the righteous Rooney family. 

Coaching does matter, but it’s dwarfed by talent, and culture is written about after the fact by fans/media good or bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Did Barry Switzer continue a great Cowboys culture in 1995, or did he just inherit HOFers Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Allen, Haley? 

Culture is not just about a coach.  Yes he inherited a team of HOFers, but do you think that team had a bad culture or didn't get along?  You don't get to the HOFame on talent alone.  Even if some of them were trouble off the field, every player you mentioned was an elite competitor who would do anything to win.  They had already won two Super Bowls together and their only goal at that time was to beat the Niners and win the Super Bowl.  Switzer kind of inherited a perfect culture for winning as well as the players.

Was it great culture that molded Favre into a winner, he didn’t even know what Nickle defense meant in 1993 under Holgrem.

This is kind of a weird statement.  Weird that you choose to use this in your defense when your own statement suggests the structure that Favre received under Holmgren is what made him the player he was.  MIke Holmgren who came from the Bill Walsh tree, the most successful coach in the 80's.  Holmgren who after his years with Favre was able to take the Seahawks to the Super Bowl with a good, not great QB in Matt Hasselback and probably should have won if not for the refs.  That would seem suggest that the Walsh approach which Holmgren used has something to do with the success of the team and that just throwing a bunch of talent in a pot doesn't guarantee success.

The hallowed Patriots were 5-11 under Belichick and 0-2 when Brady was forced into action. How did Belichick’s great culture work benching Malcom Butler? 

That 5-11 team was his first year there.

The 0-2 season that Brady took over, he threw for 2843 yards 18 TD's and 12 Int's.  Not exactly spectacular.  Belichick on the other hand was able to produce the 6th best defense in terms of points allowed with a lot of cast-offs who had career seasons.  Something BB became known for.  Kind of reinforces the idea of culture no?  There is so much more I could say here but I don't have all day to go over this.  That fact that you target Belichick is hilarious though.  The same Belichick that guided the Patriots to 11-5 under Matt Cassell.

We can cherry pick all day. 

You cherry picked from the first paragraph of your original response.

Doug Marrone brings NOTHING new to the table as a Coach. All Coaches talk about limiting turnovers, working hard, focusing on one practice at a time, and being on time for meetings. Everybody has a playbook and Coaches who spend 18 hours at the office.

This is just like your opinion man.  I'm not saying Doug Marrone is a great coach but he took largely the same roster Gus Bradley had and went from a disaster to almost making the Super Bowl.  You have to discount a whole hell of a lot to validate your opinion.

GMs have always mattered more than Coaches. They assemble the talent, they prioritize what holes to fill, they decide who to let walk away. 

I think winning is largely driven by talent. And a great culture is talked about after the fact. If you win, the stories about great culture are attributed to that. If you lose, it’s bad culture. 

The Browns have sucked not because Mike Pettine and Rob Chudsinky were outmatched schemically or bad leaders, but because they traded down when they could have had Julio Jones, drafted Weeden, Trent Richardson, Manziel, Barkavious Mingo. Funny how he went to New England and couldn’t be saved by Almighty Belichick. Funny how Justin Gilbert couldn’t be saved by the righteous Rooney family. 

Yes the Browns have sucked.  Is that team so void of talent that they should win 1 of their last 32 games?  Watch Hard Knocks and the environment on that team and tell me that is a winning environment.  Hue Jackson on and off the field is costing that team wins.

Coaching does matter, but it’s dwarfed by talent, and culture is written about after the fact by fans/media good or bad. 

You could be right I guess but you show nothing at all to back this up.  Yes you need the talent to win but you need direction from the top to make sure that talent is reaching it's potential.  Let's take a look at the Los Angeles Rams.  I realize that they went hard after skill positions in the last off-season, but was Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods the difference between 4-12 and 11-5.  Do you think they would have had the same results if they had kept Jeff Fischer another year. 

Players go a little further in practice and on the field when there is leadership from the top and in the locker room.  John Urschel the former Raven and one of the smartest people to ever play in the league says culture matters.   He said it on an interview with Schopp and also said if you have never played it is hard to understand.  Just like pretty much everyone who has ever played the game says it matters, but Mike Schopp who is always on a mission to prove how smart he is says it doesn't matter so will go with that.

20 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

It would be so refreshing if WGR changed some of these dour hosts that can't seem to get over the 20 year malaise the franchise had been in and clearly seems to be comping out of. You want to hear uplifting, upbeat, charged up and excited local NFL sports radio done right? Go online to 97.5 The Fanatic (Philly). It's the Eagles local sports radio station and it's a 180 degree difference in how it's done over at the somber WGR. It's shocking how WGR gets away with these down beat guys. Get some new hosts in there who are excited about football and the Bills.

Easy to be happy and fun when your team is out there winning Super Bowls instead of being in the running for worst hockey team in the league 4 of the last 5 years and breaking down a football team that hasn’t won a Playoff game in 23 years. 

I have been out of the area for 12 years and used to listen on the wgr app.  Like others have commented, I just stopped listening between 3 and 7.  Schopp is arrogant, condescending, uninformed and rude.  There are too many options out there to continue to listen to that crap.  I don't agree with J White hardly at all, but I will tune in because they are typically well thought out opinions.  

Also, the Sabres couldn't even be discussed without Bulldog back in the day.  Schopp doesn't have a clue.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:31 PM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I just can't stand this guy.  It is one thing to be as arrogant as this guy, it is another to be as arrogant and spew nonsense on national radio like you have a clue what you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va92BPfqrcQ

Schopp is a hack that openly bashed the Allen pick for months.  He would have loved Lamar Jackson at 7 but bashes the Allen pick.  He is so clueless and arrogant.  "Pretty much lousy at Wyoming", what a freaking hack.  He had a 16-9 record as a starter at Wyoming.  The 3 previous seasons before that, they were a combined 11-25.  Wyoming is a perennial loser that has a few 1 and 2 win seasons sprinkled in over the last 20 years. 
Plus in their offense they run the ball a lot and when they throw, they throw deep.  It's not like the Big 12 where there is no defense and the QB's are throwing 40 passes a game (a lot of short screens) to Allen's 15-20 at Wyoming.  If Allen would have been in the Big 12, he would have thrown a lot more, his completion percentage would have been higher and his bad misses wouldn't have been as magnified.  Every college QB has those throws, the only reason everyone is bagging on Allen is he wasn't in an offense that threw a ton.  People see those a few highlights of his bad passes and look at this completion percentage and think well I guess he sucks.  Not realizing that actually watching the film matters. 

That's why all the scouts and top draft guru's had him going high and idiot radio personalities and uneducated fans thought he was a bust before he threw a pass at rookie camp.  That's why is completion percentage is lower.  That and he almost every team they play against has far superior talent at other positions.

I just had to post this.  Schopp saying Allen was "pretty much lousy at Wyoming just shows how clueless he is.  They were 8-3 this year when Allen was in and he was great in winning their bowl game.  Wyoming was 0-2 without Allen last season and scored 24 points in the two games without him.  Which included a loss the San Jose State Spartans (2-11) whose only other win came against Cal Poly.  Without Allen last season, the Cowboys would have been lucky to win 4 games, but Allen was "pretty much lousy at Wyoming" because one of the more famous local radio announcers has a cushy job that requires him to do almost nothing and he saw that Allen's completion percentage was below 60 so it's settled.  Is it too hard for someone who makes a living talking about sports to do a little research before they open their mouths and say something as idiotic as "pretty much lousy at Wyoming?"

I swear to God, I was about to download the radio.com app just before 3:00 today because I wanted to hear some football talk and I said to myself, you know what, these guys aren't good enough.  Man am I glad I didn't bother to do that.  I was proven right tonight when I got home and started searching youtube for videos of people talking about Allen starting and stumbled upon this. 

Pretty much lousy at Wyoming comment is at 4:16

So he is a hack because he disagreed with a Bills front office decision to draft Allen? He was not the only one. The criticism was not unwarranted and Allen, while improved, has not shown the upside of those quarterbacks drafted alongside him in the first round. I was not happy with the choice, and I guarantee a lot of other posters on this board were not happy either. So...all I have to say is that this post is a hack job, calm down, and its okay to criticize the Bills and their personnel decisions. More often than not, those criticisms are pretty accurate.